Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 12:55 PM

New(ish) washing machine

So our washing machine died, think the bearings are shot in it, horrible grinding noise and it's refusing to spin round. From what I believe when it's at that stage you are better off with a new machine.

So off down to ILM, they refurbish white goods and some other stuff. Got a 1500RPM washing machine that takes 6kg, for £140, not too bad.

Looking for a tumble drier next so I have a way of drying clothes quickly in winter! ILM have them for £90.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 01:11 PM
My beloved old washer I got 10 years out of I got for essentially free. A friend was throwing it out as "broken" - I rescued it, took it to be repaired and found he'd jammed it with too much powder - got a decade out of it before it finally failed!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2012, 03:20 PM
You did well Lore and Dizzie
My elderly washing machine died recently too it had until now worked perfectly .
It also had a grinding noise which got progressively worse since Christmas.

I have purchase a new one of the same make (Bosch) and it seems very efficient. The only problem is the instruction leaflet is incomprehensible to me and there are so many programmes it takes me half an hour to try to work out which I need and to set the blessed thing going.

I think most women like me will use just 2 programmes,40 and 60 degrees so why make machines with about 30 different options.
It also tells me off when I put too much powder in
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
You did well Lore and Dizzie
My elderly washing machine died recently too it had until now worked perfectly .
It also had a grinding noise which got progressively worse since Christmas.

I have purchase a new one of the same make (Bosch) and it seems very efficient. The only problem is the instruction leaflet is incomprehensible to me and there are so many programmes it takes me half an hour to try to work out which I need and to set the blessed thing going.

I think most women like me will use just 2 programmes,40 and 60 degrees so why make machines with about 30 different options.
It also tells me off when I put too much powder in
LOL at the idea of a washing machine wagging it's finger at you

My old one was only 3 years old so was not too amused at it dying so quickly. Fingers crossed this one does better. Poor thing has been doing overtime since it arrived. It washes stuff clean and has a crease free button which I've pressed, but I'm not sure how it works on a washing machine.