Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 09:36 PM

Not sure what to do about this

Feel a bit silly asking this to be honest. I've stepped up our training a bit in the last week, not so much how often we train but more that I'm working towards set goals and using the techniques given in Train Your Dog Like a Pro. Anyway, I'm now having the "problem" that Rupert doesn't want to stop working with me. While it's wonderful that he's enjoying our sessions so much that he doesn't want them to end I can't be training with him for hours on end! He'll do a 45 minute session and when I end it with "all done" and putting everything away like I've always done he'll be continuing to offer behaviours, bring me toys, whack objects in the room and do whatever he can to keep the session going. I've been ignoring it and eventually he goes and lies down with a huge sigh, shooting me filthy looks from the corner. Is this the right thing to do? There's no such thing as too much training is there? I realise some of our sessions are quite long at 45 minutes but others are very short, it just depends what we're working on and how much fun we're having. And he doesn't want them to end whether it's been 5 reps or 45 minutes!

Don't get me wrong, I love working with him, love the fact he's so engaged and interested, but I'm not sure what to do about his insistence that we're not done I don't like the fact we seem to be ending sessions on a bad note but if it were up to him I think I'd be clicking and treating until my fingers fell off!
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Sarah,

I don't do particular 'training sessions' with my two, like you do, but why not, after putting the training toys away, just have a ten minute play session?

We all understand that the 45 minute session is enough, but maybe you furbaby wants a bit more...........
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Can you end it with a chill out and a stuffed kong? It could be his meal.

I expect the adrenalin is on a high and he needs help to climb down.

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 09:55 AM
He'll actually ignore food until he's gone through everything he can think of to engage me back into the training. He's not a foody dog at the best of times. I've tried ending with a massage session, something that usually has him all floppy and relaxed but he wanted no part of that, he just rolled around batting me with his paws and woo wooing.

I thought about taking him for a short walk round the block after training, walking him before it doesn't make a difference but after might. I think playing with toys would just get him even more hyped up unfortunately Deb and would more than likely end up with me getting hurt, he still tends to forget himself and body slam and grab when over excited.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Would he chew on something else? Chewing often releases tensions.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Be boring. Prince would pester me all day to amuse him if allowed. I ignore him and he goes and plagues Shamus or settles down.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure Rune, food and toys no but if I gave him a cardboard box or something he might shred that.

Pretty much what I've been doing C&D, just sitting here and ignoring him although it's very difficult to do sometimes!
K999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-12-2011, 04:06 PM
what's his exercise routine?