Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wmdm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-06-2013, 10:25 PM

Puzzled

This morning I took my dog to different Vet's office for grooming. This was not my regular veterinarian as they do not groom dogs. She is current on her yearly shots including her yearly Bordetella vaccination (my regular vet's office gave them). They told me they would only GROOM her if I agreed to give her the Bordetella NASAL vaccine. I had my receipt showing she had the Bordetalla injection vaccine in Dec. 2012.. I called a different vet who does grooming they said they do not require that just for grooming. I called Petsmart and Petco and they do NOT require that for grooming. Petsmart said they require the Nasal vaccination if I am going to BOARD her for a time but not for grooming. She had the bordetella injection on Dec. 12th 2012 and will get another one Dec. 12th 2013. Why would they be the only place that required the nasal vaccination six months later just to groom her? (I did get her groomed somewhere else) And why would she need the Nasal vaccine if my regular vet says the yearly injection vaccine is fine? Has anyone else had this happen just for grooming?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 10:28 PM
That is Puzzling,very strange
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2013, 08:30 AM
no clue, but why at all should a vet groom your dog?
is that usual over in the States?

however, anyway I groom my dog myself
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Most people here in the UK take their dog to the groomers for grooming not the vets...and I think anywhere that has multiple dogs go through their doors will ask for vaccines.

Some KC vaccines only last for 6 mths,I know its was only the later years that my dogs got the 12 mth vaccine, maybe thats where the mix up is with the vet....

I know here with kennels (or the ones I have used) will insist regardless of the KC vaccine lasting 12mths, will want the dog re vaccinated before the 12 mths runs out...

But to be honest, if you are not happy with this arrangement, find some other vet/parlour to groom your dog.
wmdm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-06-2013, 11:47 AM
There are 2 full service vet clinic's near me. They both offer grooming. Only 1 required the nasal Bordetella vaccine just to groom her. The Petsmart close to me has a Vet's office, a Pet "Hotel" as they call it, grooming, a full range of pet products, and a dog training clinic. My Vet does not offer grooming.
I think that 1 clinic is just trying to add unnecessary charges on to their grooming service's, and more importantly the nasal vaccine is unnecessary when she is just being groomed. She already has the injection vaccine.
I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area where there is a lot of competition for our pet money and was kind of flabbergasted by there refusal to groom her until I paid for the nasal vaccine. Fortunately the other places I called did not require it just for grooming.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 11:50 AM
How old is she? I have one too, Lacey aged 9, their just the best aren't they??
wmdm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi, Eileen Duffy, they are great dogs. She will be 4 in September. When I saw the picture of your dog by your name yesterday I noticed her resemblance to Ginger so I added a picture to my profile. If I am ever in North Ireland I will bring her by to meet her twin. LOL! Ginger is our 3rd Shih Tzu. She's also a little stinker.