Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 09:18 PM

Ramping up the obedience training

Poor old Cain has been very patient over the last few months. Honestly, his training has slipped big time. Due to personal circumstances, he missed some classes and most days had been basic walks and meals without his normal training sessions etc.

Well now the nights are longer and I have more time to focus on him, I want to try and get back into his training. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go back to basics and try to really hammer home and fool proof the core obedience commands. I really need to work on this outside as he can loose focus, will be battling the summer crowds though

I've decided to attempt tackling his behavioural issues in a different fashion. Over the last few years I've been focusing mostly on desensitisation, counter conditioning, LAT etc. I think I've done enough desensitisation that as long as people ignore him, he basically ignores them. He needs a bit of work as he does stare at dogs so would like to work on focus. But I'm thinking that upping his focus on me and fool proofing basic obedience might be a way forward too (will continue some CC, LAT etc too).

Bearing in mind that Cain will be on an extending lead/long line mostly (limiting practicing some commands properly like distance control, recall, stays etc, plus heelwork is trick on an extending lead), what commands should I make my priority? I've got "How to train your dog like a pro", I was thinking about working through that. Or following some of Kikiopup's stuff (seen a great clip of proofing a Down Stay by hurling treats at the dogs head ). What do you think?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I cannot understand why you think a long line will limit you being able to do stays, distance control, or heelwork?

Just use a light trailing line with no loop in the end, it is done in Schutzhund all the time.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I can't let a line trail with Cain, it's too busy and risky in case he bolts. I just meant that training while holding the line is restrictive. I rarely use the longline, I get in a total muddle and in summer I feel out of control when it's crowded, I tend to use a flexi as I can reel him in a lot quicker. Problem is that a flexi is a really rubbish lead to try and do any distance stuff on. I can, and do, do distance stuff on the flexi, it's just not easy. I can't wait around him while holding a flexi, and it's only a few feet long do you can never really work up to any meaningful distance. He also acts differently on the lead, for example he has perfect recall on longline/flexi as he knows he's on lead. I am in the process of attempting to rent a school field so fingers crossed I'll be able to do some off lead stuff there

I just wondered what commands would be best to focus on.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 07:20 PM
We have 10 meter flexi leads at work that are all tape for large dogs. That should give you enough distance for your training and be sturdy enough. They are quiet expensive i think they were about £25 but that was from the cash and carry we use sure the rrp was nearly £40. Good luck with it im having the same battle although havd decided to give up on her reactivness as its just getting me down
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks I've been watching Kikopup videos today, I think I'm going to work on proofing his stay, focus exercises and heelwork. If I can get him off lead any time then recall, recall, recall and emergency downs I think.

Sorry to hear Phoebe's reactiveness is getting you down ive felt like giving up and just managing the situation many times, sometimes you need to take a step back and think about what you have actually managed to achieve and you might be pleasantly surprised

I've reached a stage with Cain where I do wonder of maybe he has come as far as he is going to. He is a zillion times better after a few years of work but he'll never be 'normal'. But I'm gonna keep on trucking in the hope that he will surprise me!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Its a situation we have been dealing with for 3 years now it started out of nowhere when she was about 18 months old for no reason we hadnt had a negative experance or anything she just changed. Some have said its from her being spayed but i have no idea but that is when all the issues started. In the past year we have achieved a lot and she has gained so much confidence and started to do dog behavoiurs that she never has such as chasing things (i do g actually want her doing this) spot wee's on walks snd doing the running man after going potty. Her confidence gain has come with problems such as straying a bit further than i like and ignoring me when i call so were working that and will start again when shes allowed off lead again. Think im going to whistle train the recall. We have also spoke to a new trainer who does our security dog training although im not training her in man work or protection were going to do the heal work obediance and agility. But as for dog reactiveness i dont know shes fine with the dogs she just has no manners and goes bonkers when she sees them but if she goes over she just wants to play. She doesnt have a nasty bone in her body but some dogs dont like her manic greeting so a fight breaks out or the owners dont like her greeting and performance so ask us to stay away. Just one of them where i feel i cant win
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Spooky, I've decided to do a similar thing. Easy to forget the basics/general training when you're managing day-to-day and dealing with more specific stuff!
I've just made and printed some training log type things, can email them over if they're of any use to you, just basic ones to keep track of what you've taught on what day and any notes (e.g. things to change about the next training session).
For a bit of structure, I've printed off the Dragonfly Llama training levels. They're selling the new levels as an eBook but they do have the old ones online for free still
http://www.sue-eh.ca/ (go to Writing > Training levels (originals) > Introduction). Combined with the Kennel Club Good Citizen scheme..which I'm debating doing with Kiki through an official club if I can find someone running it over the summer while I'm done with evening college but might just do them myself and find somewhere I can sit the tests.

We should have our garden sorted over summer so you'll be welcome to do some training in there if it helps, we're putting higher fencing all the way down so can remove the fencing in the middle and use the whole length of it at last. It's not miles long but probably long enough to practice some kind of distance stays and recalls (and with the distraction of next door's noisy dogs!)