View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Please, can anyone help a very nervous German Shepherd?

I know this is alot to ask, but having read through so many of your threads in all the forums since I've been a member, i realise Dogsey members are a special kind, and some, or maybe even just one of you may be able to help German Shepherd, Raz.

Raz, was one of 20+ dogs seized from an illegal breeder in Thundersley, Essex, in August. Raz was used as a stud. His life consisted of being locked in a derelict shed, and when he was let out, he was left to be repeatedly attacked by untame dogs, (one of which had already killed 2 small dogs and killed another German Shepherd by actually breaking its back).

His injuries are many, with obvious bite wounds all over his body, punctures across his back, in the top of his skull and eye, his fur is so matted i doubt he's ever been groomed.

The council, RSPCA etc were all involved in the seize, and the majority of the dogs (of varying breeds) have been rehomed via the kennels the RSPCA/council pays for locally.

However, Raz is not ready for a home yet. He is very frightened and panics alot, and the world outside his kennel is a very scarey place.

One good piece of luck for Raz though, is that another local kennel owner and experienced behaviourist/trainer has taken Raz into her kennels to help him back to health in body and mind.

More than anything Raz desperatley needs to learn to trust again, and with help from Gill and a couple of volunteers he
is making slow progress. But as German Shepherd lovers will know, they can often develop very strong bonds with an individual, and they do not want him to become overly attached to them, as ultimately he will hopefully be rehomed.

If you, or someone you know, might be able to help Raz, and offer him a forever home where he can learn to trust, experience love, play and human companionship please get in touch. Ideally whoever commits to Raz will need to come to the kennels regularly to build a bond and gain his trust whilst he is in a familiar environment, before taking him home.

I have been visiting Raz almost daily, and although his wounds are healing, he is still very nervous. Despite his tortured life he has never shown any agression. Today as I walked with him and talked to him, he made eye contact with me a few times, which was wonderful, he was also beginning to use his nose and have a sniff about and i left the kennels feeling happy that he is progressing, compared to the first day i met him, when I cried as i left.

The RSPCA often place dogs in Gills care, and for her time and kennel space, vet bills and feed she does not get a penny. So even if you're not able to help Raz find a new home, if you feel you would like to donate something towards his rehabilitation it would be very very welcome, be it for some food, or treats or his medicine. Or even coming down to spend time with him, the more kind people he experiences the better.

I am taking him some Fish 4 Dogs treats tomorrow to help his skin and coat, and I will walk him and sit with him, and hope that he looks at me a few more times and holds his head a little higher as he begins to learn what being a loved dog should feel like.

Thanks for reading, i know it's long!Here are the local paper articles.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/loca...llowing_probe/

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/4571...vous_dog_Raz_/

Raz is at Crofters Kennels, Beke Hall Chase South, Rayleigh Essex. Tel Gill Lewis 01268 785350
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Can I crosspost on a GSD site? I`d have him like a shot but I have 4 dogs and I feel he`d be better as an only dog. However I`ll give it a go if you like.
pm me if there`s any way I can help.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Can I crosspost on a GSD site? I`d have him like a shot but I have 4 dogs and I feel he`d be better as an only dog. However I`ll give it a go if you like.
pm me if there`s any way I can help.
Yes please do crosspost anywhere you think it might help!

I think everyone that has seen him has wanted to take him and nurse him back to health, including myself! But as you know its about what is best for Raz, and not about what makes us feel better! A family were interested in him, but decided against it once they realised the commitment and time that was required.

I took him for an hour long walk today at Wheatleys country park, and it was lovely, he is making progress every day Today he was able to be in an open (albeit small) space and didnt panic. He was sniffing and also spent alot more time with his ears pricked forwards and looking ahead.

I'll pm you in a while as I've got to go out with my motley crew now!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 10:42 AM
i would have him like a shot if i didnt have my 2. i'll cross post
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Poor Raz - he looks so sad He is a gorgeous looking boy. Unfortunately I already have four dogs and a young child (oh, and live in Scotland!), otherwise I would be pleading with my hubby to let me bring him here.

I do hope he finds the right home really soon, where his rehabilitation can really begin.

Claire - are you going to crosspost to BigGSD?
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
So sad. Poor chap. Best of luck with finding him a wonderful new home xx
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
i would have him like a shot if i didnt have my 2. i'll cross post
Thank you

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Unfortunately I already have four dogs and a young child (oh, and live in Scotland!), otherwise I would be pleading with my hubby to let me bring him here.
I know what you mean! I was talking to my OH about how we could convert the big playhouse into an outdoor kennel, and he said if i bring another dog home, he'll move into it himself!!!
Sounds like a good plan to me!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Claire - are you going to crosspost to BigGSD?
Yup
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2009, 10:02 AM
UPDATE

Raz has been offered a home by a family who are willing to work at his pace! They are going to build an outdoor kennel and run for him, and introduce him into the home slowly.

BIG BIG thanks to ClaireandDaisy and Big GSD for your response to my requests for help, when Gill told me what you were doing for him I was a bit choked up, i have to say!!

I'd just taken Raz for a walk again, he was better even than yesterday, he walked so close to my leg he was touching me and didnt flinch as i gave him long strokes along his back, he was following me thru gates today whereas yesterday he just panicked about which way to go! And he didnt hesitate at the open area. So I guess he's learning that nothing bad is going to happen to him whilst he's with us. Raz's new owners are very lucky to be getting him, he is the kind of dog that will give you back everything that you put into him, and I have to say I am a bit jealous!!

There is another GSD from that same seize who is still at the other kennels waiting to come to Gill, i hope we are able to help him as we have Raz.

Again big big thanks to Claire for your help, and everyone who's shown interest in Raz, you're all big Dogsey stars!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Thats great news! REALLY hoping this boy can have a wonderful life now.

Well done Claire xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »