Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:44 PM

GSD info please

I have just heard from my ex's sister that she has a new GSD bitch who she says has lived her whole 6 years in a kennels for breeding as she is an unusual colour and her pups have been sold for up too £1000 ,well aparently she has never had a walk in her life and has only just been given her first injections from her ,she already has a GSD male and has tryed to breed from a couple of bitches before but they never got pregnant and ended up scatty due to being shut in a small room for most of the time so she sold them ,I just know she going to try and breed from this poor girl for profit
I was wondering if anyone could let me know all the health tests that should be done and things that could go wrong with breeding a GSD ,also what age should she be stoped from breeding ,as I have been invited to her house on Friday (sadly she is my kids aunty )and would really like to be armed with all the info possible to put her off using this poor girl as a money making machine as by the sounds of it the poor dog has already spent all her life as a money making object for a puppy farmer
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

12-07-2005, 10:51 PM
I am no way an expert but we got our gsd from a breeder and she was about 6 when we got her - we were told we would not be allowed to breed from her but my mum and dad didn't get her to breed from. She had spent all her life in kennels as well and didn't know how to play or go for a walk - unfortunately we only had her a short time she ended up getting cancer in her womb and was sadly pts ( she was about 10 when she died )

but I don't think its right to get her to breed from and I think 6 is too old - but I don't have any experiance like I said
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2005, 11:06 PM
GSDs should be tested for Hip & Elbow Dysplasia. They can also suffer from CDRM. http://216.168.47.67/cis-dogs/books/dpub01a.htm

If this poor bitch has been frequently bred (i.e. more than 3 litters) she should not be bred again. She is getting too old. She is probably not in good condition, so the chances of her carying to term are reduced. If she was still a good brood then I doubt the original owners would have let her go.

If the prospective sire has failed to produce with two bitches it sounds as though he may be infertile.

If she has been kennelled in a puppy mill all her life it will take a great deal of tlc to get her back to 'normal'. She is likely to have significant psychological problems, as well as physical. She needs a thorough vet check, worming, vaccs, good nutrition, and a patient, understanding, and loving owner.

Sounds as though her luck has not improved
Meg
Supervisor

12-07-2005, 11:20 PM
..I would also remind her of the huge costs in vets bills if anything goes wrong, and it frequently can particularly in older bitches.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 11:25 PM
the male she currently has is just over a year old I think ,he hasnt been with a bitch yet ,but the females she had before I think never bred due to stress as one did go on to breed with a different owner no health tests were ever carried out either or asked for from the stud dogs owners ,this poor girl she has just got has aparently had 4 litters before ,but sadly I think she might have had more from what has been said
I will try to find out as much as I can and get some pictures if I can on Friday
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Haemophilia should also be tested in males of the breed as this condidtion can be fatal (the blood doesn't clot so internal bleeding can be a real problem!)

Could the bitch be classed as a Blue GSD, I've heard that some breeders are selling blue pups as rare?
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Emma I agree with you there. I think, if the info is not out of date, the British Kennel Clubs states that the GSD to be over 1 year and under 8 years.

There is also the gsdhelpline you could speak to or try their website

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/willis2.htm

It has good info, although prices for pups are slightly dated. Most pups I've seen are going between £500 to £550.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 12:32 AM
thanks everyone I'll get reading the links and hopefully be prepared with all the facts for Friday and find out more about this poor dog

Ripsnorterthe2nd I'm not sure what colour the bitch is but when I spoke over the phone she said it was a unusual/rare colour so her pups had made big money down south ,if the bitch had never even been given her puppy jags I very much doubt she has ever had any health tests done ,It just sounds so sad the life this poor girl has had and it dosent seem like it will get any better ,I just hope I can do somthing to help her
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 12:34 AM
I bet you any money that poor bitch is Blue! Some people will do anything to make money, so sad! I just hope you can convince her owner not to breed and continue her sad life. Dogs like this deserve better.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

13-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Try painting the doom & gloom picture: if the bitch was worth breeding from she would never have been sold; too old & chances of conceiving & carrying slim; if she whelps & is in poor condition puppies will not thrive; possible huge vet bills; people only pay money for pups from health-tested stck (not true but ...), etc. etc.

You may then be able to suggest that the bitch is 'worthless' for the purpose of breeding and perhaps your SIL should do herself a favour and take the dog to GSD rescue.

Of course, even if she did that, she would probably go out and get another one if her heart is set on breeding for profit
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >