Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2008, 07:15 AM

RAW meat n fridge

Hi

How long can i leave raw meat in the fridge for?? Recieved a delivery yesterday ansd just saying there is alot would be a understament (2 freezers and a fidge full) So what i need to know is how long ccan i leave it in the fridge for? its mostly marrow bones and ribs.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 07:24 AM
This is probably not much help, but I defrosted some chicken wings last Saturday. I put the remaining two in the fridge, and by Thursday they were rank........

This may give you a guideline......
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 08:24 AM
I would go by your nose. And I guess how it's packaged would make a difference. Eg: Vaccumed packed stuff will last much longer cos there's no air getting at it.

My dogs have eaten stuff just past it's shelf life and done just fine, but I wouldn't let it get too far beyond.

Perhaps ask your neighbours/family/friends if they have some spare room in their freezers to house some stuff for awhile?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 09:48 AM
You really have to go by your nose with this one, coz different meats will have different times for fridge storage. If you're defrosting though you should use within 24 hours, that's the rule on that one for us humans, so stick to your nose again here for the dogs.
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I'll take some off your hands!
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2008, 09:57 AM
I've fed 'rank' meat before with no problems. Dogs can handle things a lot better than people can.

I try to feed within 3-5 days, though. Depending on how old it was when I froze it.
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2008, 12:23 PM
surely if they where in the wild they wouldn't not touch bad meat? so if they eat it, it must of been ok?
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2008, 06:28 PM
It does really depend on how you store it.

I always store my dogs meat wrapped in old tea towels in the fridge as then it ages naturally and it is perfectly fine for them even if it smells bad to us. Mine actually prefer meat when it is aged this way.

Meat that is stored in plastic film or on polystyrene trays goes slimey and develops unnatural bacteria which "could" cause stomach upset (actually the fat in the meat will absorb carcinogens from the film or polystyrene which you don't want either).

If you want to see what I mean - store a small piece of meat in cling film and then store another small piece from the same cut in a towel, leave them both for a week and then touch it. The difference is incredible!!
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone... Well the meat which went in the freezer last friday i binned on the sunday as it smelled horrible in the fridge by sunday!! i know it was probably fine but i didnt like the smell