View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
Its a tricky one I think. We discourage prospective dog owners from giving in to the temptation to 'rescue' a puppy farm puppy by buying it, as it just creates a space for a new one.

However there are rescues that provide a convenient dumping ground for the farmers do they don't have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Doesn't this equally just create a space for a new dog and make it easier for the farmers to continue?

What are the laws on destroying dogs? Would it be legal for them to just be shot?
As I have said it seems you have some experience in these areas but they are obviously not the same as mine but I do not knowthe rescues you work with.

IME rescues do not provide a convenient dumping ground tbh a bucket iss much more convenient to the puppy farmer.

The only thing that makes more space is the idiots buying the pups in the first place.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Having recently taken on a dumped puppy farm pup( health issues )from Many tears I can say I did have mixed feelings about supporting puppy farms in a round about way ,however we don't live in a perfect world and as already said if it was between the dogs being PTS in a less than humane way, or passed on to certain rescues and hopefully found homes, I know which I would go for everytime Untill puppy farms are made illegal the fate of these dogs is left to people who actually give a damn about their welfare and quality of life. I hope that untill that happens there will always be rescues like Many tears to pick up the mess that these delightfull people leave when they've got their moneys worth
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Of course its a discussion which is why I asked you to discuss it and give us your knowlegde and opinions on it - if you didnt want any input from others its not a discussion is it?

Blimey, that'll teach me, you're not exactly gentle with newbies round here are you?

Ok, I'll be as clear as I can:

1. I understand why the rescues do what they do, I wouldn't be able to turn those poor dogs away either and I think its wonderful to see them grow into happy healthy pets.

2. HOWEVER it has to be recognised that there is a slight contradiction in what we ask of owners and what we accept from these rescues. Everytime a farmed dog is bought or rescued more take their place, this is a fact. We tell buyers not to 'rescue' the pups no matter how sorry we feel for them, its worth examining and asking ourselves why we don't apply the same policy to the ex breeders. Unsold pups aren't treated any better than breeding bitches.

3. The rescues are absolutely not responsible for what the puppy farmers do, and for now I think they should carry on. What needs to change is legislation and enforcement of it so that there is no need for these rescues, then they can switch to homing poundies or other unwanted dogs.

Its a complex situation you see, we're all on the side of the dogs here, or I would have thought so, so there's really no need to go jumping down people's throats for expressing some of the more hard to swallow aspects of the situation.

Oh, I don't live anywhere near Wales, so I have no practical experience. My dogs were unwanted pets. Feel free to completely discount everything I've said based on that if it makes you happy.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
As I have said it seems you have some experience in these areas but they are obviously not the same as mine but I do not knowthe rescues you work with.

IME rescues do not provide a convenient dumping ground tbh a bucket iss much more convenient to the puppy farmer.

The only thing that makes more space is the idiots buying the pups in the first place.
Does that make me an idiot then ?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
You're being pretty aggressive.
I am sorry for that but this has come up before - even to the fact that someone said if there were no rescues there would be no dogs in rescue - fair dues I suppose but no an ethic I would want to be associated with.

I have worked with the rescues in Wales and I know what they go through and the heartache they face with the issue you have bought up. I dont know your involvement which is why I asked - so please let us know - any knowledge of the problem is always a help
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Fabi View Post
For those who take an exbreeding dog from the breeder is as guilty as the breeder.

Please check out the thread....Puppy Farms.
I do not understand that statment
Is taking an unwanted litter the same?
A dog not to breed standard?
An injured pup??
A blind pup??

Its a fact these dogs are here to stay wheather we like it or not ..
If the laws changed tomorrow and every puppy farm was closed would you have every breeding dog or bitch culled or put through the rescues you dislike so much??
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by EgyptGal View Post
Having recently taken on a dumped puppy farm pup( health issues )from Many tears I can say I did have mixed feelings about supporting puppy farms in a round about way ,however we don't live in a perfect world and as already said if it was between the dogs being PTS in a less than humane way, or passed on to certain rescues and hopefully found homes, I know which I would go for everytime Untill puppy farms are made illegal the fate of these dogs is left to people who actually give a damn about their welfare and quality of life. I hope that untill that happens there will always be rescues like Many tears to pick up the mess that these delightfull people leave when they've got their moneys worth
Ermm not sure where you are coming from! As I said its the people who buy from the puppy farmers that are in the wrong not those that have a pup from the rescues - I have done home checks for MT's and visited there a few times (had to stop because they were getting greyhounds in) so not quite sure of your take on this - I support MT and all the other rescues that work so damn hard to get these pups and exbreeding dog to people just like you!
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Ermm not sure where you are coming from! As I said its the people who buy from the puppy farmers that are in the wrong not those that have a pup from the rescues - I have done home checks for MT's and visited there a few times (had to stop because they were getting greyhounds in) so not quite sure of your take on this - I support MT and all the other rescues that work so damn hard to get these pups and exbreeding dog to people just like you!

Why did the greyhounds mean you had to stop?
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I am sorry for that but this has come up before - even to the fact that someone said if there were no rescues there would be no dogs in rescue - fair dues I suppose but no an ethic I would want to be associated with.
That couldn't be further from what I'm saying, I honestly have no idea how you even got there.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Why did the greyhounds mean you had to stop?
Simple I would have ended up with all of them! Did actually have 7 at one point as I was fostering.

Its the idea that rescues taking on these dogs is a convenient way for puppy farmers to dump there dogs - it actually isnt its actually more convenient for them to wackt them with a spade or whatever - the rescues like MT work hard to at least give these breed out dogs a chance for a loving home. No they cant stop another pup being bred from another worn out bitch but they can give that worn out dog a loving end to their days.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »