View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:01 AM

Is it possible to train a dog not to go in the fridge ?

After a few incidents I purchased a fridge lock to prevent it happening again.

After a conversation with Oh he think that she should be trained to not go in the fridge even if she finds it open.

How would you go about this?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
You can get small sensor type things that let off a high pitched whistle or an annoying buzz when something goes near. It can be annoying for owners for a while, but they usually deter dogs from going past the buzzer !

You stick them near the fridge or on cupboards so that they direct the line of fire in front of the fridge, like a infrared sensor. They can be removed when you are home, and just stuck back on when you go out
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I will bear this in mind Malady. The fridge is near the crate atm though so it might cause problems. I also have a sound sensitive dog so again I might prefer other methods. Thanks for the info though. It might work when we have the kitchen redone.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Empty the fridge of any food and put something really yucky in there! That way she's gained nothing but something horrid from going in the fridge.

However, personally, I think I'd rather manage the situation. By using aversives, the dog may not do it while you're there, but it's still safe and reinforcing to do it while you're not there.

We have learned to be very tidy since getting Takara as she can reach anything left on the worktop! We just have to keep it clear if we leave the room
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
If it were me i'd be tempted to hide out and catch them in the act and water pistol them if it were one of mine.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
We have learned to be very tidy since getting Takara as she can reach anything left on the worktop! We just have to keep it clear if we leave the room

This is what we tend to do with Fudge. She won't touch stuff while you are there but will have go at rubbish bags, food on counters and the fridge if she can when you are out.

We have a lock on the fridge, always put the rubbish bag out if she is being left in there and keep food off counters. This works well until someone forgets.....that is what happened last night. She is funny though as she barks to tell me she has done it. Last night the stuff was still chilled so she must have barked almost immediately after she had had her choice of the booty.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
If it were me i'd be tempted to hide out and catch them in the act and water pistol them if it were one of mine.
A good idea.....I might lay a trap and see what happens.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
I`ve always found that `Oi! Gerroff!` bellowed at volume works in respect to counters, bins, my lunch etc. Do the dogs have to sleep near the fridge?
I have a fridge-freezer with the fridge part on the top half so any dog managing to open the door they could reach would only get frostbite.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm sure it's possible - especially with a clever collie type. Perhaps you could try training her to fetch stuff from the fridge on purpose? If you got it down to a tee, she might then only go into the fridge when told to.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post

This is what we tend to do with Fudge. She won't touch stuff while you are there but will have go at rubbish bags, food on counters and the fridge if she can when you are out.

We have a lock on the fridge, always put the rubbish bag out if she is being left in there and keep food off counters. This works well until someone forgets.....that is what happened last night. She is funny though as she barks to tell me she has done it. Last night the stuff was still chilled so she must have barked almost immediately after she had had her choice of the booty.
Haha... 'Mum! I've had mine, if you want any of this you better put it back in the fridge before it goes off!'
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >