Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Adopting From Animal Shelter??

Has anyone ever adopted a small animal (rabbit, guinea pig, rat, bird etc etc) from their local animal shelter? If so, what is the rehoming process??

I am considering rehoming a companion for my bunny so looked on local shelter website and found one that looks in need. Its been there a long time, was dumped as a stray and is a bit nervous so has been overlooked. I emailed them to ask for more information about it and what their rehoming policy is for small animals (no info on the website, but there is for dogs and cats ) and I just got an email back saying that its still available, they want £15 for it and to go down to visit it, so they didnt really answer my question
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I have adopted several hamsters over the years from the SSPCA ( I am in Scotland ) Just went down chose my hamster filled in a form about looking after it and paid my money and brought it home
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Different places will have different policies. Some will be very strict - have limitations of how far you can live from the centre, insist on a homecheck, etc. but some will let you turn up and take away there and then. Some prefer to speak to people in person rather than discuss things by email or over the phone too (to prevent timewasters, miscommunication, etc), is it local enough to just pop into?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It is fairly local (about 20 mins away), I will drop in this afternoon to see him.

I just found it odd as when i've fostered parrots I've had to have a home check and everything, they didnt even mention anything like that with the bun...!