View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 09:59 PM
oh thats a shame you couldnt get the tropican .. we have hand feed alot of birds on it, at the wildlife hospital. But then although tube feeding is most promising its also dangerous if you dont know what your doing. Annestaffs idea is good to, and i have feed birds like that when they have been abit older. Annestaff is right again, they slowly learn to feed them selves about two weeks after they learn to fly.

If there is no sanctuary that can help you out then you will have to realse them your self, but you can not just let them go and thats it, they have to be built up by starting in a avary or the like, once you feel they can comfy fly and land then you can realse them, If you can realse them near where you have found them then its brilliant ... remember the less human contact they get the better.

Good luck, lets hope they stay strong!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I rang one and they are over an hour away. They were very sweet to me and gave me so much advice.
They did say if I didnt have time to take them to the vets and they would give them a volume of gas that would let them sleep forever.
I cant do that.
If I put them in my stable and get them flapping to work their muscles, they stand a chance.
Am I wrong Annestaff?
I even rang the RSPB and have to say they were horrid! I wouldnt trust any bird with them! They said to just leave it!!!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
oh thats a shame you couldnt get the tropican .. we have hand feed alot of birds on it, at the wildlife hospital. But then although tube feeding is most promising its also dangerous if you dont know what your doing. Annestaffs idea is good to, and i have feed birds like that when they have been abit older. Annestaff is right again, they slowly learn to feed them selves about two weeks after they learn to fly.

If there is no sanctuary that can help you out then you will have to realse them your self, but you can not just let them go and thats it, they have to be built up by starting in a avary or the like, once you feel they can comfy fly and land then you can realse them, If you can realse them near where you have found them then its brilliant ... remember the less human contact they get the better.

Good luck, lets hope they stay strong!
My stable isnt an avery but it is about 7ft tall. So if I block the holes to let the urine out etc then they have a chance of learning to fly on their own.
My other concern is we have Doves that come in to play. Will they hurt them as babies?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Your stable would be a good start for them If you could then adding some perches would be brilliant. You can do that by getting some long sticks/wood and have them attached around the stable and at various hights, so the birds get use to getting up there and getting off landing well on the floor. There shouldnt be a problem birds are quick learners but they will have a few tumbles

The doves should not hurt them no
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I'd drive the hour to the sanctuary Luz, at least then you know they have a good chance of making it.

They flying isn't the problem, like DD said they learn quickly, its the feeding that they need to get the hang of.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Your stable would be a good start for them If you could then adding some perches would be brilliant. You can do that by getting some long sticks/wood and have them attached around the stable and at various hights, so the birds get use to getting up there and getting off landing well on the floor. There shouldnt be a problem birds are quick learners but they will have a few tumbles

The doves should not hurt them no
Thanks DD, I have many animals and can only imagine the next picture I take. lol.
I hope Zack loves them as much as I do. But your right about the perches to give them flight to aim for. I just dont want them to leave the stable too soon.
They are not ready to leave here yet either.
But thanks for the tip, my local pet shop owner was so awed that we were taking these two birds on she gave us a supply of feed for free!
I gave up on humanity ages ago! But there are good 'genuine' animal lovers out there still!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff View Post
I'd drive the hour to the sanctuary Luz, at least then you know they have a good chance of making it.

They flying isn't the problem, like DD said they learn quickly, its the feeding that they need to get the hang of.
I've bonded with them now though Ann I need to see it through. The sanctuary said it was possible to do it and Ive gone through every eventuality for them. Bird 2 (Cotton eyed Joe) may be my worst as he only has one eye.
I cant give up on them and if I go to the sanctuary will I feel Ive let them down?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Ayy now Luz dont get to attached they can not stay!!
Also now hearing that one has only one eye, you can not realese it, it will have to be a permant sanctuary bird, it will not live in the wild.

If you take them to the sanctuary you wouldnt have let them down, you would have given them the best possible start in life!
Taking to sanctuary is the best option, but if you REALLY cant then you have had some great advice..But do whats best for them
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
I've bonded with them now though Ann I need to see it through. The sanctuary said it was possible to do it and Ive gone through every eventuality for them. Bird 2 (Cotton eyed Joe) may be my worst as he only has one eye.
I cant give up on them and if I go to the sanctuary will I feel Ive let them down?
Why would you feel you have let them down? The sanctuary would have more experience surely and therefore give them a good chance?

Whatever you decide I wish you luck.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
And the sanctuary would be doing what Im doing? Im sure if I allowed these birds to be released in a natural environment they have a chance? Especially if I nurture them till they are ready?
Am I being a problem to them?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >