View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2005, 09:43 PM
I think that his main problem is as Annestaff says and that he has in a way lost his job - that is looking out for his mother, so he wants me to stay still so that i can replace her. I think it is mainly insecurity - he is frightened in case if he goes out side I might disappear. As for resting etc. when I do sit down he goes into deep sleep, dreaming and that and sleeps upside down in the chair you can see him in my photo's.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Hello Ian. Goodness, you have had a sad and difficult time of it lately. My condolences on the loss of your mother, and I am sorry to learn of your health problems. To top it off it sounds as though you now have a very anxious and worried dog.

Obviously his routine & life have been turned upside down. His constant companion has suddenly disappeared, and you have periodically disappeared. He doesn't know if you will return or stay away like your mother. Unfortunately we cannot explain things to animals, and it is not surprising that Blackie feels rather bewildered & insecure. The advice you have received about ignoring the whining is good. As difficult as it may be you must endeavour to ignore it completely, no pats, strokes, shouts, no vocalization of any kind, do not even look at him. As soon as he stops then you praise/reward. A clicker might be the best way of teaching him that whining=zero attention, not whining=reward.

From your last post it would appear that the problem mainly arises when you are moving about. Can you take some time to initiate a program whereby you can show Blackie that your moving is rewarding for him? For example can you regularly set aside an hour when, every time you move it is to, for e.g., toss a ball for him; go across the room to get a treat for him; go out of the room to get him a toy that you can both have a game with; take him into the garden; etc.? You also need to get him used to you leaving the room without him becoming distressed. You can do this by going out of the room for just a couple of seconds to start with. Gradually, over many days, extend the time. Never return to him if he makes a fuss. Always wait until he is quiet.

I'm not sure how mobile you are, but could you also do some training with him at home to give him something to think about? BCs are very smart dogs so some games or ob training to stimulate him mentally might be a big help. Even if you are not very mobile at the moment there are plently of things you can do from a chair or which require a minimum of moving about. If necessary you could get a trainer to come to you to give you some ideas and instruction.

Also, remember how aware of our emotions and body language dogs are. I would venture a guess that you have run through the gamut of emotions recently, grief, frustration, anger, anxiety, depression, plus physical pain/discomfort. Your dog will pick these up and react to them. Try always to maintain a cheerful attitude and voice with him. Easier said than done I know but it will help him to stop worrying about you.

Do let us know how you get on and if we can be of any further help.

Best wishes
SB
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Hello ShadowBoxer,

Thanks for your idea's, when I leave the room he is beside me constantly, he is never more than 4-5 feet from me. As for toys,games etc, we often have a game, I will initiate it and he will play for a while, then he will stand and whine, I think he is saying 'I enjoy this but I want to be out in the fields playing' he is a clever dog when he wants to be, other times he is as thick as a barn door. When I have to go out - Hospital etc. when I return I always reward him with a fudge bar or one of his favourite treats, because when I am away he is as good a gold - the neighbour keeps an eye and ear of for him. I think he may want to help me but can't find a way to do so. For example when I rise from the chair he jumps up behind me and pushes me forward to stop me from going backwards, which does happen when you lose part of your foot. then when I am walking he gets out of the way especially at door ways, so he is an excellent dog in all departments except whining.

and for my emotions, I try not to get upset when he is around, but as you say sometimes it is difficult, but I always try and have a game session with him afterwards to brighten things up. He also picks up on my pain, a few weeks ago I thought I was going to lose my foot/ankle altogether, and he came and give my leg a quick gentle lick sat beside me and cried, Thankfully it has'nt had to be done, but I am not in the clear totally yet.

Sorry again about such a long post.

Ian

Edited to say :
I can walk about 200 metres or so depending on pain and conditions - can't do it in rain, wind ice etc.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Well Ian, it looks as though you have an assistance dog in the making - whether you like it or not and whether you need it or not

I would say, if that is what he wants/needs to do then let him. Allow him to 'help' you to walk; teach him to open doors; switch on lights; pick up dropped articles; etc. He is a working dog after all, and seems very attuned to you & sensitive to your health problems. You may not need his help but it would be giving him work & something to think about. Of course, if this would irritate you then we have to think of some way to re-direct his behaviour.

I would still try to ignore the whining & reward non-whining, and would also try to get him used to you leaving the room without his company. As amts said, perhaps you could teach him an 'off-duty' word, e.g. "relax", "settle", so that he knows that his help is not required at that particular time. Wearing something (Blackie not you!), e.g. a bandana which can quickly be removed, would also be a way to indicate whether he is on or off duty.

He sounds like one very smart dog.

Keep in touch. Hope that all goes well with your health. (Have you tried Ugg boots? Someone with foot problems caused by diabetes visited us some time ago and took some home. He found they were the best thing for his poor feet)
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Hello ShadowBoxer,

I don't mind in the least Blackie helping out, I think we have a very very strong bond between us, in fact I think it is a bit too strong, if you know what I mean. I have tried giving him 'Off duty' time but he as you say is a working dog and won't go 'off duty' unti he know that I am sitting still then he chill's out and will sleep like a log, but I only have to sniff or move and he is wide awake and ready for action.

Thanks for telling me about the Ugg boots, I will do a search on the internet about them as I haven't heard of them before, at the minute I am having to wear like a open shoe with velcro straps on them to allow for the dressings etc that I am having to have on. At the minute they are trying a new treatment using maggots to try and clean the wound up.

Thanks for time and trouble.

Ian
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2