View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Could someone explain to me whats the difference between front and rear? Why one story for one and not the other?

Totts seems to tear hers with no cause, just happened. Has happened to both nails by the looks of it. Surely it would be better to have them removed than a lifetime of them getting ripped off, her being lame and possibility of infection?

I know little about them, and have never even thought about dew claw removal until problems with Totts. All of the other dogs I have owned have had theres.

Just wondering so I can make the best decision for totts. The vet thinks its best to remove them as both have been damaged and because she is going to be spayed next week. she feels if we should do it, we should do so now because she will already be under rather than making the decision further down the line and having to put her under again.

If she doesnt have them, will it affect her quality of life? She doesnt appear to use them?

Thanks

L x
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
one of my sibes had this done( at a few days old) ive worked all of mine in harness and never a problem.
infact only one dog of mine went thru a phase of ripping his..and he was a lurcher.

imo mish is right... they are used in turning hence why they get ripped..its just best to make sure they do not get to long...and you can also buy protectors if needs be

.... rear dew claws are a diff kettle of fish imo tho.
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I personally wouldnt consider having front dew claws removed - unless I had a very vaild reason to think it was in the dogs best interest..

One of our hairless cresteds ripped her front dew claw nail off - while out running throw the woods. It did grow back.
Hello again

I actually advised my sis NOT to do this to her Huskies...But she said she didn't want to risk injury whilst racing/in harness. Though, she no longer races them now...
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by AnimalFactor View Post
Hello again

I actually advised my sis NOT to do this to her Huskies...But she said she didn't want to risk injury whilst racing/in harness. Though, she no longer races them now...
Dunno why you quoted me I never passed comment about your sister, or her dogs, or what she done with them! Just stated my opinion, in response to the OPs question
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Could someone explain to me whats the difference between front and rear? Why one story for one and not the other?

Totts seems to tear hers with no cause, just happened. Has happened to both nails by the looks of it. Surely it would be better to have them removed than a lifetime of them getting ripped off, her being lame and possibility of infection?

I know little about them, and have never even thought about dew claw removal until problems with Totts. All of the other dogs I have owned have had theres.

Just wondering so I can make the best decision for totts. The vet thinks its best to remove them as both have been damaged and because she is going to be spayed next week. she feels if we should do it, we should do so now because she will already be under rather than making the decision further down the line and having to put her under again.

If she doesnt have them, will it affect her quality of life? She doesnt appear to use them?

Thanks

L x
In Totts case, it could be considered an option. Clearly she keeps injurying hers, so there is a good case for removal here while she is already under GA. Though, it will mean she will be under GA for a longer time, so risk a little higher
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Dunno why you quoted me I never passed comment about your sister, or her dogs, or what she done with them! Just stated my opinion, in response to the OPs question
now now dd..i think af was agreeing with us
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:26 PM
now now dd..i think af was agreeing with us
Maybe I read it wrong dunno..
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I quoted you to say "Hi again"!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:33 PM
I quoted you to say "Hi again"!

Ok.. Hi.. now Bye..
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:35 PM
In Totts case, it could be considered an option. Clearly she keeps injurying hers, so there is a good case for removal here while she is already under GA. Though, it will mean she will be under GA for a longer time, so risk a little higher
hardly! quick snip.. couple of stitches...bandage as shes waking up
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:38 PM
hardly! quick snip.. couple of stitches...bandage as shes waking up
It does infact mean she will have to be under longer...It takes longer to remove 2 dew claws and neuter...Than just neuter, I know..
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »