Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by JuniorDaddy View Post

My friends 18 month old daughter kept biting her the other day, in the end she bit her back (only gently but enough for her to understand), same principle as a shock collar. Neither method causes pain,
He uses a gentle tapI use it with my dogs when they are distracted & it works a treat, infact Cesars methods are the only thing that has ever stopped my dogs pulling & doing their own things.
I see your child care theories are in keeping with how you treat your dogs, then! Biting babies and kicking dogs doesn`t hurt....you. It does hurt the poor beggar on the receiving end.
Right, I`m off to feed the goats. All three of them.
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Right....so following the instructions on the screen then.
In the instances we have used his methods its not been 'red zone' behaviour & hasn't warranted professional help. Most of his methods are simple & easy to follow, mostly changing your own behaviours to change the dogs. If I needed to deal with extreme behaviour I would seek help. Its not all about 'pinning down', 'kicking' & 'bullying' (as you call it) you know.
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I see your child care theories are in keeping with how you treat your dogs, then! Biting babies and kicking dogs doesn`t hurt....you. It does hurt the poor beggar on the receiving end.
Please dont accuse me of abusing my dogs or children, I said quite clearly neither instance is hard enough to cause pain, just enough of a shock/sensation to say NO. I am not against a light slap on the back of a kids hand or a tap with a foot on a dogs back leg to let them know their behavoiur is not acceptable, I am against hitting, kicking, punching etc. I love all animals & children & do not tolerate abuse.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Please dont accuse me of abusing my dogs or children, I said quite clearly neither instance is hard enough to cause pain, just enough of a shock/sensation to say NO. I am not against a light slap on the back of a kids hand or a tap with a foot on a dogs back leg to let them know their behavoiur is not acceptable, I am against hitting, kicking, punching etc. I love all animals & children & do not tolerate abuse.
When I saw a dog recoil when shocked, I wonder what sensation it felt? A gentle tingling perhaps? If they didn't hurt, albeit for a very short time, they would have no effect!
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
When I saw a dog recoil when shocked, I wonder what sensation it felt? A gentle tingling perhaps? If they didn't hurt, albeit for a very short time, they would have no effect!
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
So, & I'm sorry to go off topic slightly, but how would you suggest that you would stop an 18 month old child who insists on putting his/her little fingers into a live plug socket? Positive training? Sitting him/her down & explaining? Or a quick tap on the back of the hand? My point is, sometimes it's necessary for their own benefit or survival in some cases.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 10:40 PM
So, & I'm sorry to go off topic slightly, but how would you suggest that you would stop an 18 month old child who insists on putting his/her little fingers into a live plug socket? Positive training? Sitting him/her down & explaining? Or a quick tap on the back of the hand? My point is, sometimes it's necessary for their own benefit or survival in some cases.
Buy those things that cover the holes up?
Or teach them!

My Mum never locked any cupboards, never hid any chemicals under the sink, never covered any plug sockets, or hid anything breakable.
We were just taught from an early age that were were not allowed to touch anything, or go in cupboards without asking.

But at least if you do smack a child, you can explain why to them, as they understand you.
The dog has no idea why it's getting a kick or a smack. It doesn't speak English (or whatever language)
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2009, 07:31 AM
If they didnt have pack instincts how do you explain why then my dog will live harmoniously with my other dog but hates any strange dogs? Or will accept the family cats but chase any strange ones?
its good to see you have moved on from this argument.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 08:20 AM
In the instances we have used his methods its not been 'red zone' behaviour & hasn't warranted professional help. Most of his methods are simple & easy to follow, mostly changing your own behaviours to change the dogs. If I needed to deal with extreme behaviour I would seek help. Its not all about 'pinning down', 'kicking' & 'bullying' (as you call it) you know.
I don't believe I ever said it was , but you have highlighted one of the main problems with what happens, you saw the programme, broght the book and used the methods....when it specifically say to seek professional help before you do. Great that it worked for you.....however - it does not always, as myself and others are well aware, as we have to pick up the peices.

....and as others have mentioned the 'other stuff' he does, staying calm, rewarding good behaivour etc, are thing you will find any decent dog trainer has been doing for about 20 years +.

It is sad that you felt you had to 'put up' with your dogs bad behaviour for as long as you did , when many trainers out there would have helped you.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2009, 09:07 AM
JD perhaps you could tell us what breed of dogs you have/did you have them and train them from puppies/what were the problems you needed to correct/what methods did you try to correct them /which of CM methods did you use which were successful ...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I am fairly shocked that you find it acceptable to use violent methods to teach children. I`ve been a tutor for over 30 years and trained dogs for over 40 years and never found a dog or a child I couldn`t teach with non-violent methods. Again, the fear and pain from a bite, slap or kick will not affect the person giving it, so you cannot be the one judging how painful it is. And the victims are voiceless.

try this link - it`s the opinions of people who have actually studied canine behaviour and know what they are talking about
http://www.coape.org/awsn.html
Page 9 of 125 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 109 > Last »