View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Obviously I can't comment on Steve's depression but it's not always about abuse as a child/young person.
I was not abused nor was Michael. Michael said on his first session before they asked he told them I am not abused so please do not ask the question.

I was told it is genetic, mine was clinical depression, but later on and a different dr she felt it was my change and then all the looking after mum piled on to. Funny thing was when I had finished the menopause the depression went.
So many reasons for it and I think that's why it can be so hard to treat.
They do say the serotonin in the brain is lacking and sometimes you need medication to give it a kick start.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2019, 05:14 PM
It's a whole lot of stuff Lynn, his dad abandoning him, seeing his mum beaten daily, him being beaten daily by his step dad and anyone else his step dad felt like giving a go, his baby being still born, his mum dying and then the guilt he feels over his brother dying topped off with being stuck in a job he hates with just enough money to get by, he was told every day for 13years that he was worthless and would be better off dead and sadly he believes it!
They gave him citolopram before, he took one tablet but didn't like the way it made him feel so has refused to take anymore, I tried to explain that there were different drugs available
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Not surprising low self esteem as much as depression and feeling pretty worthless to I would imagine.

Michael was put on citalopram it takes longer to work than prozac but he stuck with it and it did help.
Some of Michael's issues were jobs he wasn't happy in, not enough money even though he lived at home and most times rent free.
Meeting Maca changing his job helped but the move to Madrid has really helped him sunshine a lot of the time that's another thing bright days help doesn't need to be necessarily warm but being bright can certainly help more than drab dark days.
Warmth is also a deciding factor for Michael anyway although they can get cold there in the winter.

I do hope he pops along to his dr and asks for some alternatives.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2019, 07:25 PM
I think depression is such a hard "label" for people. Like a one size fits all which obviously it does not.

One of my Uncles in Law suffered badly with depression he tried to kill himself and his son came home from school and found him unconscious with his head in the gas oven (1937)
he told his wife he would not do it at home but would indeed be killing himself.

He went to war in 1940 and was a captive of the Japanese but already had depression obviously.

1949 he tried again to kill himself at work leaving a note saying "do not enter alone I have killed myself contact the authorities and please inform my brother or brother in laws before my wife as she is pregnant" one of the chaps arriving earlier than normal entered by a different door and found him hanging he was saved again but this time lost his voice due to the hanging.

He eventually killed himself by cutting his own throat a year later.

My Dad used to say you could see the sadness in him you could almost feel it.

Sorry edited to say my Dad and all the family said he was an articulate and clever man but at times he told them that he was wrapped in a black cloak so much he could not cope and at those times he thought it would be better for everyone if he were not alive.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Kazz, that is awful.... Steve did mention suicide but I am hoping I talked him out of that, I honestly don't think I could cope if I lost him.... obviously I haven't said that to him, I think a different Job would be better for him but one problem at a time
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
Thanks Lynn, I have been dealing with the same stuff for 3 years now...it gets hard because I have never suffered so don't get why he won't get help, it's just the treating me badly that's not fair as I don't deserve it

Griff it's difficult for someone like you, I'm the same since I've never had to deal with it. The media seem to think it's getting worse but I think it just effects certain people, no knowing who it will be, something medical science hasn't yet worked out.

All you can do is advise him the best you can, keep suggesting some sources of help, books maybe, or like Lynn said maybe some serious execise, it's hard to think about your problems when your trying to swim, kick box, or run.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Thanks Harvey, he is on a diet so eating better, and he walks the dog 3 times a day...I just wish he would make the call
How are you doing today? Not too tired yet I hope? I had a change of day for my treatment... because I was off early yesterday I had to take it today, feeling very nauseous today
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2