Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I'd rather they ask first, mainly because Max is very bouncy and people seem to get annoyed when he bounces at them and tries to kiss them. They end up with muddy Boxer prints all over their clothes.
Just the same with Bongo!

Actually, I love it when they ask, and we're getting used to it now! We get a lot of people asking us about Bongo, what breed she is, what they're like etc... I'm always very proud of how friendly and good natured she is, especially with kids, and I think she's a great ambassador for the breed!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Absolutely not! I am very proud of Loki's affection towards people and always happy to wait while kids have a cuddle. I prefer it that way than for them to just launch themselves at him without first checking that he is friendly.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
I think she's a great ambassador for the breed!
Max would be a good Boxer ambassador if people didn't think he was a staffy/mastiff etc

He gets so excited if people run towards him/screech/wave their hands. I'd rather have him on a short lead and sitting for the initial contact and then see how he is before letting him on a longer lead.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't mind someone stopping and asking if they can stroke Oscar at all. But I do mind someone slipping him a treat - especially if I can't see what it is. This did happen to me today and fortunately Oscar hesitated because he wasn't sure what it was, and I managed to get it - just as well - it was chocolate!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I hope you told them off for that one, CHOCOLATE, I think people think its an old wifes tale that chocolate is bad for them...
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:29 PM
On Its Me or the Dog this week, Victoria S was horrifed to see that the lady concerned shared packets of choccy biscuits etc with her dog, and apparantly had no idea chocolate was bad for them!

I often ask people if they would like to give Max a treat, and get one out of my pocket and then get the people to ask him to sit and then give him the treat...
Gaspode
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I never mind people stroking mine, it's nice that they want to. Lily isn't always keen, especially if we're going to the park, cos then she's just walk/ball obsessed. On the way home is different - but they should ask first, or I do get annoyed.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't mind at all, we get a lot of families coming to the Champ shows especially those at the Dublin venue, many with quite young children and Deccy is a bit of a draw as there aren't many Dallies here plus being a liver, they usually ask if he is a Dalmatian! I keep an eagle eye on them though, and we usually have a nice chat.
On my lane walks at home, I rarely meet anyone. The last time, a Golf drew up and a really drop dead gorgeous man wound down the window. Strangely, the dogs didn't bark and stood looking goofy, wagging their tails. Then I realised it was my vet, in decent clothes instead of head to toe waterproofs covered in slurry, my god he cleans up well We arranged for me to bring the boys to the surgery later for their boosters and my heart went back to normal eventually. Other than that, not a soul so the situation doesn't arise.
No, I see the public admiring my dogs as an opportunity to educate them a bit, including giving treats to strange dogs!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 02:53 PM
im always delighted when ppl take time to stroke my dogs it nice to see ppl actually taking him to be kind . my two younger dogs actuaaly sit dwn as soon as they see anyone
coming near just to be stroke and seem a bit annoyed when they get ignored my older dog is the only one i dnt like ppl petting as she was badly mistreated by her past owner and is very nervous and wary of strangers . so rather than upset or frighten her i just politely tell ppl she does nt like strangers as she was mistreated but thank them for being kind enough to take the time to want to admire and stroke her
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I always prefer it if people ask me to stroke Georgie. Although he has never shown any agression, he is still very young, but with all the media about these bull breeds I would prefer them to ask first.

I have bought my children up to never stroke a dog unless they have asked the owner first. You can never be too careful these days
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >