Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Travelling Light

Hi I have just finished a book of short stories

Throughout history,cats have done the most amazing things.Often their journeys are undertaken not out of curiosity or because they are lost,but to meet more basic needs such as finding there kittens,though now this is not entirely true.
"Over a hundred years ago there was one remarkable creature called Daisy,Although born in Ireland.Daisy was left at a transportation company in New York in 1871,she was a welcome addition due to rats.Rather like a lot of ladies with careers she was caught out by nature and had two kittens,but for some reason,she had disappeared.This was very strange behavior as the babies were barely a week old.Daisy hadbeen known for her lovely nature and diligence,so it seemed very peculiar that she would go against what her body would be telling her and abandon her kittens.They didnt survive,many weeks later one of the
workers reported in his journal the living skeleton of Daisy,she was covered in mud torn and bruised with her tail almost worn off She headed straight for the office where she had left her kittens,crying for them,Some time passed and a ship came in .the captain saw all the fuss that was being made of daisy,he informed them he had found Daisy on his ship,he had put her ashore,apparantly she had walked (100 miles) back to the office."
So my question is why are there very few incidents of dogs trying to get home, but as people say cats are loners and do not really have a bond with their humans,yet we know dogs do,but if a dog becomes parted from there family,they make no effort, is this because they have no sense of direction,they become strays and hang around the area that they were left becoming unkempt and starving.Yet cats seem to fare better,and undertake incredible journeys,many hundreds of miles just so they can get back to their family or is it an ancient calling built into there instincts.Gemini54
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
See "Lassie come home" to disprove your theory and many, many others.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
See "Lassie come home" to disprove your theory and many, many others.
Lassie come home" was fictional , I think the above is talking about real life
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Well without a link I'm not sure OP's story is factual. Might be a mixture of fact handed down and folklore. Here's another Irish 'story' about Daisy the Cat. (quite a few Irish tales on this site)

http://www.vindicator.ca/hawk/chapterTwentySix.html

Would be interesting to have a link or a book title to the OP's story.

*and I'm glad to see you got your keyboard fixed!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Well without a link I'm not sure OP's story is factual. Might be a mixture of fact handed down and folklore. Here's another Irish 'story' about Daisy the Cat. (quite a few Irish tales on this site)

http://www.vindicator.ca/hawk/chapterTwentySix.html

Would be interesting to have a link or a book title to the OP's story.

*and I'm glad to see you got your keyboard fixed!
True, but I think the OP meant it to be factual. And was asking aboutany factual dog stories of the same ilk .... Lassie come home is complete fiction.

I agree many stories are embroiled over generations, but have a snippet of truth in there somewhere
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
True, but I think the OP meant it to be factual. And was asking aboutany factual dog stories of the same ilk .... Lassie come home is complete fiction.

I agree many stories are embroiled over generations, but have a snippet of truth in there somewhere
Yes and always make for interesting telling. I hadn't realised it was true stories being asked for.

*and 'Lassie' was a boy wasn't he? And there were more than one of him? I recall reading that somewhere. And am wondering now if Rin Tin Tin was a girlie!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi The book was one I found in a charity shop,it was short storys about cat travels various authors some were written by the owners Gemini54