Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
There was a Squab on our wall with Mummy yesterday, the only reason I came to this conclusion was because it was slightly smaller and Mummy was shovelling food down it's throat
Nippy, you could be a detective!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Sorry Florence it was a serious comment! Haven't you ever heard that one? Apparently the proper name for them is Squabs?

They say it is because they look almost adult by the time they leave the nest. There's much written about this!

Here's an example from The Guardian Notes & Queries:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqu...-59806,00.html

You might enjoy it because most of the responses are jokey (well I'm sure Eileen will enjoy it)
I'm terrible with english quotes and sayings and the like so I've actually never heard that one!
But I know that baby pigeons and doves don't leave the nest until they look like grown up ones, I've had the chance to observe a few pairs and their little ones.
That's how we knew he was abandoned, at the age that he is he wouldn't have left the nest and where he was there was no chance the parents could have saved him.

I'm not sure if a wildlife rescue centre would be able to help us, as I was thinking of getting him there to get him among other pigeons etc... I mean he's just a feral pigeon and they're a 'pest' but we couldn't walk away from a helpless little pigeon.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2013, 09:29 AM
LOVE this thread!
I'm so pleased I'm not the only one who will rescue 'vermin/pests' lol
You got some great advice from Eileen and hopefully your little pigeon carries on gaining strength, maybe it can be released later or maybe it will end up being a pet, who knows
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2013, 01:28 PM
No experience of a baby pigeon, but a few months ago the dogs 'caught' a pigeon - they kept nudging it and couldn't make out why it would oblige by flying off so they could chase it. I rushed to the rescue, and found it was painfully thin and was ringed. So, I registered the number on a racing pigeon site I found online, and the owner came to collect it. It had gone missing over the so called 'Bermuda Triangle' in Yorkshire, where hundreds of pigeons went missing. His owner had released twenty five several weeks previously and this was the only one found. It was utterly exhausted, and had just flown itself out, but it was its first outing so did ever so well to reach within a few miles of home. I only had it one day and night, but got ever so fond of it - I was rather disappointed he came to collect it! I think pigeons make very good pets.

Hope yours does well!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
No experience of a baby pigeon, but a few months ago the dogs 'caught' a pigeon - they kept nudging it and couldn't make out why it would oblige by flying off so they could chase it. I rushed to the rescue, and found it was painfully thin and was ringed. So, I registered the number on a racing pigeon site I found online, and the owner came to collect it. It had gone missing over the so called 'Bermuda Triangle' in Yorkshire, where hundreds of pigeons went missing. His owner had released twenty five several weeks previously and this was the only one found. It was utterly exhausted, and had just flown itself out, but it was its first outing so did ever so well to reach within a few miles of home. I only had it one day and night, but got ever so fond of it - I was rather disappointed he came to collect it! I think pigeons make very good pets.

Hope yours does well!
Very kind of you to contact the owner. Any pigeon fanciers I know would go to any lengths to pick up one of their birds. Amazing how they make their way home from such great distances. My dad, god rest him,would sit for hours in his chair in the garden waiting Untill everyone of them returned( his babies)all had names, flew down to him would perch themselves all down his arms and head
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Hope yours does well!
Aw no poor pigeon!

But I heard that you should never return ringed racing pigeons.. Because they got lost and didn't return they're apparently worthless for the breeders/keepers and they'll just kill them
I really hope your pigeon didn't face the same destiny.. I'm sure some of them have a heart.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Very kind of you to contact the owner. Any pigeon fanciers I know would go to any lengths to pick up one of their birds. Amazing how they make their way home from such great distances. My dad, god rest him,would sit for hours in his chair in the garden waiting Untill everyone of them returned( his babies)all had names, flew down to him would perch themselves all down his arms and head
And here is proof that some of them DO have a heard
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 01:57 PM
The majority of them do I reckon for that one the owner wouldn't t have bothered to pick it up if his intention was to kill it.
One of the most poignant moments of my life happened at my dad's funeral, ironically he died from a respiratory condition called pigeon lung,having been a pigeon fancier all his life and attended to them always without a mask
Anyway when he was being buried, members and friends from the pigeon club let off two baskets just at that moment.They flew up circled overhead for ages and finally headed off home. I know he would have loved that.They were his life
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2013, 02:32 PM
When I registered that I'd found it, at first I heard nothing. I did a bit of research and it seemed that lots of owners just didn't bother to collect them - so I then started researching how to care for a pet pigeon! However, the owner rang me first thing the next day - I had assumed he would be contacted by phone or email, but they sent him a letter. He was very anxious to get it back and was sure it would recover. He said he would put it in with its parents, and even though it was a young adult they would still care for it.

How touching that the pigeons were circling overhead - it must have been a bittersweet moment.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 02:35 PM
When I registered that I'd found it, at first I heard nothing. I did a bit of research and it seemed that lots of owners just didn't bother to collect them - so I then started researching how to care for a pet pigeon! However, the owner rang me first thing the next day - I had assumed he would be contacted by phone or email, but they sent him a letter. He was very anxious to get it back and was sure it would recover. He said he would put it in with its parents, and even though it was a young adult they would still care for it.

How touching that the pigeons were circling overhead - it must have been a bittersweet moment.
Amazing I would have no worries about your rescue, sounds like he's in safe hands
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >