Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Freysterdewdrop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
since when have Staffs been illegal?
Dont quote me on this but I think in ireland, bull breeds and any kind of bull cross breeds are not allowed to be kept on estates, only on private property and even then have to be penned x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Freysterdewdrop View Post
Dont quote me on this but I think in ireland, bull breeds and any kind of bull cross breeds are not allowed to be kept on estates, only on private property and even then have to be penned x
but in the UK Staffs are legal.

i thought APBTs were legal in Ireland? how come they allow them if they are stricter than us about other bully breeds... if that makes sense... im too tired just now
Freysterdewdrop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Staffs are legal in the uk for now! They dont allow pitbulls in ireland, at least I dont think they do
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Staffs are legal for a long time to come! Lol.

The only breeds that were banned were those that were politically expedient to ban. Don't forget the DDA was rushed into law in the wake of several high profile attacks that mostly didn't feature bullbreed at all! The breed that had been most prominently involved was never banned because too many people had them. Staffs are waaay too popular to ban.

There is no national ban on pit bulls or staffs in Ireland.

As far as I know there are widely ignored leash/muzzle laws laws for certain breeds and there are restrictions on some breeds in local authority owned property in Dublin. Restricted breeds include pits, staffs, ebt's, gsd's, rotts, ridgebacks, dobes, mastiffs, bandogs, tosas and akitas.

No restrictions on Dogos. Nor Filas.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Staffs are legal for a long time to come! Lol.

The only breeds that were banned were those that were politically expedient to ban. Don't forget the DDA was rushed into law in the wake of several high profile attacks that mostly didn't feature bullbreed at all! The breed that had been most prominently involved was never banned because too many people had them. Staffs are waaay too popular to ban.

There is no national ban on pit bulls or staffs in Ireland.

As far as I know there are widely ignored leash/muzzle laws laws for certain breeds and there are restrictions on some breeds in local authority owned property in Dublin. Restricted breeds include pits, staffs, ebt's, gsd's, rotts, ridgebacks, dobes, mastiffs, bandogs, tosas and akitas.

No restrictions on Dogos. Nor Filas.
thats what i thought, so didnt get what jackbox was meaning about the illegal thing with staffs in 2007
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 07:47 AM
In Ontario, they banned all American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, and American Bulldogs, as they find it too hard to tell the difference between breeds... all due to a fatal attack... the dog wasn't even a bully breed, but some mix of Rottie, Shep, and Collie, I believe. We have pits here in Alberta, I've never met a people aggressive one, a couple of dog aggressive ones, but both of those were rescues, so who knows what happened to them. When I'm ready to get another dog, I will be looking for a deaf or blind (or both) Pit Bull or Great Dane. I've met a couple of deaf Pit type dogs, and absolutely adore them, they have such a funny personality, goofy love bugs with a determination to please you and keep busy. There's no way in hell the dogs I've met should be banned.... PERIOD.

Dogo's are also wonderful dogs, we have a couple of members on our deaf dog list with Dogo's they are sweet, wonderful dogs, I've met one too, and she was gorgeous, both in temperament and looks. The other 2 breeds I've never met, so I couldn't comment on them. Honestly, the ONLY breed of dog I am cautious around is a Chi.
Freysterdewdrop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2009, 07:56 AM
I am also wary of chi's not just because cody was attacked by one but also because my neighbour has one and it chases people down the street. Dont get me wrong I have worked with chi's before and I have met some lovely dogs. But I have come across more chi's that are dog/human aggresive than I have rotties,dobbies and gsd put together
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2009, 08:11 AM
[LEFT]No, you very clearly implied that it was in a pit bull nature to be a timebomb and that only a very experienced owner could safely prevent that.
No, I implied that th pitbull we see bred in the UK will in the wrong hands be a ticking time bomb, a well bred pit I have no boubt is a lovely dog, but sadly thats not what we have herei n the UK at this given time.

That doesn't help.

The DDA (abbreviated form of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, as amended 1997) is the law that bans pit bull types. What law are you talking about?
The one which refares to ilegal dogs, as I am sure you know!

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
since when have Staffs been illegal?
Pardon????????

t
hats what i thought, so didnt get what jackbox was meaning about the illegal thing with staffs in 2007
Sorry, you have lost me now?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No, I implied that th pitbull we see bred in the UK will in the wrong hands be a ticking time bomb, a well bred pit I have no boubt is a lovely dog, but sadly thats not what we have herei n the UK at this given time.
"in the wrong hands"

You posted earlier that we can't use the owner as an excuse because of the pit bull's nature. If you are revising that then fine.

The one which refares to ilegal dogs, as I am sure you know!
Which is the DDA. You cannot, with logic, talk about the law that refers to banned breeds and simultaneously maintain that you have not refered to the DDA.

Feel free to rebut but we have now left discussion of dangerous dogs behind us and are focusing on 'he said/she said' which I do not find very engaging so I may leave my position to stand.
Jackpot
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
In Ireland, no dogs are banned, there's only a restricted breed list, which in my experience is widely ignored. I've never seen a muzzled Staffie (and there are lots) and the only muzzled German Shepard I've known was muzzled due to being dog agressive.

Some local authoritie housing does prohibit tenants from keeping dogs on the list and pounds are more likely to kill them rather than try and rehome them as they're afraid of being sued.

Part of the relevant law:

Dogs to which Regulations apply.

4. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), these Regulations shall apply to every:—

( a ) American Pit Bull Terrier,

( b ) Bulldog,

( c ) Bull Mastiff,

( d ) Dobermann Pinscher,

( e ) English Bull Terrier,

( f ) German Shepherd (Alsatian),

( g ) Japanese Akita,

( h ) Japanese Tosa,

( i ) Rhodesian Ridgeback,

( j ) Rottweiler and

( k ) Staffordshire Bull Terrier and

to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog) and to every other strain or cross of every breed or type of dog described in this article.

(2) These Regulations shall not apply to a dog which is kept by the Garda Síochána and wholly used by a member of the Garda Síochána in the execution of his duty.
Control of dog.

5. A person shall not permit a dog to which these Regulations apply to be in a public place unless such dog is being led by means of a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding one metre in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.
Muzzling.

6. A person shall not permit a dog to which these Regulations apply to be in a public place unless such dog is securely muzzled.
Identification of dog.

7. The owner or other person in charge of a dog to which these Regulations apply shall ensure that such dog shall at all times wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner inscribed thereon or on a plate, badge or disc attached thereto.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0123.html
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »