Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 03:54 PM

Split thread - DDA and related topic

Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
I doubt they would even consider that,who would pay expenses,couldn't really see the Police doing it could you it is not just breeders,it is judges you need,you can challenge it but in court and in the meantime your dog is in kennels
I wasn't referring to the police getting the american expert I was referring to the people this is affecting, as you say it is affecting many people surely they want to save their dogs so where is the fund that has been set up to get a REAL expert to challenge these cases?
You'd only need to challenge a few to slow down the police. As for the dogs being in kennels surely that's better than being dead?
And as to the two dogs that have been referred to as 'type' then I'm afraid I agree, the are of a type similar to a PBT and as I've said before the law is the law and these 'types' have been banned for 16 years.
What I would put forward is that I would be prepared to comply with the register and get my dog neutered, chipped, insured and whatever else is required and see if a judge would release them, which is a judges perogative now, there is no mandatory destruction order anymore.
Becky
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
What I would put forward is that I would be prepared to comply with the register and get my dog neutered, chipped, insured and whatever else is required and see if a judge would release them, which is a judges perogative now, there is no mandatory destruction order anymore.
Becky
errr insurance policies will not cover a banned breed
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I wasn't referring to the police getting the american expert I was referring to the people this is affecting, as you say it is affecting many people surely they want to save their dogs so where is the fund that has been set up to get a REAL expert to challenge these cases?
You'd only need to challenge a few to slow down the police. As for the dogs being in kennels surely that's better than being dead?
And as to the two dogs that have been referred to as 'type' then I'm afraid I agree, the are of a type similar to a PBT and as I've said before the law is the law and these 'types' have been banned for 16 years.
Becky
You seem to have very little consideration for people owning bull breeds and those affected,i among some others are finding some of your posts offensive to say the least,i hope your breed doesn't suffer the same fate and you go through what we bull breed owners are going through at the moment,maybe then you wouldn't be so quick to judge.Since when have you been an expert on type,since there is no defination of the word??And since when have you been an expert on the Stafford??

These are ordinary dog owners that do not have thousands saved up in the bank that probably would love to have an expert,but can't afford it,we have our own experts within our breed who are called to give their opinion,on whether the said dog is a Stafford or Stafford cross etc...
Our Breed council is there for those affected,likewise are Merseyside SBTC,also Breed not Deed,who are on the phone for upto 18 hours a day.We (the owners of Staffords Rescue Staffords and Irish Staffords) are thankfull for boards like this as many people may have not known what they can do,at least we can get the information out there,which may just sav one dogs life.

The reason of going to court is to challenge the decision,and to add the said dog to the register,if it is not dangerous.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:31 PM
In what way are my posts offensive. All I can see is that you are complaining about the police enforcing a law.
Yes it is tragic that dogs are suffering but really the people who breed and buy these breeds/types need to take a good hard look at themselves and ask themselves why are they owning a banned breed or type? People only have themselves to blame and it's the poor dogs that are suffering. I sympathise with anyone who is currently suffering under this law enforcement but the law is the law if you chose to ignore it then eventually it'll catch you up and the price has to be paid, in this instance the lives of innocent dogs that shouldn't have been born in the first place.
If people really wanted the law to be changed then why is every petition available only got a few thousand sigs? I think you'll find, and I have been e-mailed by people confirming this, that they wont sign because they actually agree that all these dogs should be removed from the streets, in fact some have gone as far to state that staffies should be included. I don't think you have as much support as you think you have.
However, I do support the fact that is should be deed not breed but the DDA is NEVER going to be changed, these breeds and types will continue to be banned. The best we can hope for is that people will be allowed to comply with the exemption register and in another 16 years or so these breeds/types will be no more and we will never have to go through this again.
Becky
Biff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-02-2007, 04:42 PM
"I think you'll find, and I have been e-mailed by people confirming this, that they wont sign because they actually agree that all these dogs should be removed from the streets, in fact some have gone as far to state that staffies should be included. I don't think you have as much support as you think you have."

And what is your response to people who go "as far to state that staffies should be included." People who agree to any type of dog being "removed from the streets," lack (in my opinion) common sense and foresight into what such a law will achieve. Its complete nonsense and during a time when people are going through extreme heartache and worry Becky, I find that last post extremely insensitive. Some people, unknowingly have purchased a banned breed, however as responsible owners they have brought their dogs up to be sociable and well behaved within a family environment. Surely these are the examples people should be reflecting on, in order to represent the "devil dogs" that are pit bull "type". However if "the best we can hope for is that people will be allowed to comply with the exemption register and in another 16 years or so these breeds/types will be no more and we will never have to go through this again," people will no longer be able to have a loving family pet that has been no harm to anyone or anything whatsoever.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:44 PM
In what way are my posts offensive. All I can see is that you are complaining about the police enforcing a law.
Yes it is tragic that dogs are suffering but really the people who breed and buy these breeds/types need to take a good hard look at themselves and ask themselves why are they owning a banned breed or type? People only have themselves to blame and it's the poor dogs that are suffering. I sympathise with anyone who is currently suffering under this law enforcement but the law is the law if you chose to ignore it then eventually it'll catch you up and the price has to be paid, in this instance the lives of innocent dogs that shouldn't have been born in the first place.
If people really wanted the law to be changed then why is every petition available only got a few thousand sigs? I think you'll find, and I have been e-mailed by people confirming this, that they wont sign because they actually agree that all these dogs should be removed from the streets, in fact some have gone as far to state that staffies should be included. I don't think you have as much support as you think you have.
However, I do support the fact that is should be deed not breed but the DDA is NEVER going to be changed, these breeds and types will continue to be banned. The best we can hope for is that people will be allowed to comply with the exemption register and in another 16 years or so these breeds/types will be no more and we will never have to go through this again.
Becky

I amongest others are complaining because this law is UNFAIR to innocent dogs,why on earth do we need to get rid of the Stafford it is ONE of TWO breeds that the KC states as been totally Reliable and affectionate especially with children!!!!
You still have not defined the word TYPE,
Does this dog look TYPE to you,

Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:51 PM
I think Staffies being included within the DDA is never going to happen, not in a million years although I can imagine the kind of people that would like to see them included, are you one of them? I think I'll sign off now before steam starts blowing out of my ears, your posts are extremely insulting to those of us that live and breathe our beloved bullies!

Sky_High_Bluest I hope everything turns out to be okay with Saffie, you are both in my thoughts. xx
Biff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-02-2007, 04:54 PM

Becky
But the people who have ignored the law (granted, not all, but most) have a love for a particular breed, and more experience with them than any do good politician or chief constable that has created or enforced such a pathetic law. These people have bred them for their positive traits, and nurtured well trained, well behaved, sociable dogs, that all of a sudden are a banned breed. Pit Bulls aren't my breed of choice, staffies are, and as it is staffies that are getting inadvertently caught up in it. It is an issue close to my heart. I know it is easy to say in a debate, what if it happened to you, but in this case I have to say it just as sal has before. If you feel passionate for your breed of choice, and then through idiots hijacking the breed for anti social sick reasons, your breed gets banned. Would you simply stop?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I wholeheartedly agree, this law is wholly unfair and as far as I'm concerned no breed should be banned, but this law will not be changed and we have to accept that.
I would say that the dog in your post is 'type' as per the law but I do not in any way shape or form think it should be destroyed because it happens to 'look' like something.
In answer to Biffs post I tell people who say breeds should be banned that it is wrong. I have never been bitten by any bull breed large or small, I have however been bitten by collies, cockers (both types) lhasa's, yorkies, gsd's and the worst offender westies, but I wouldn't ask for any of them to be removed either.
I understand that my posts may be a bit 'insensitive' but we have to face facts, there are going to be some dogs that are not going to be saved, despite everyones best efforts. The law is not going to be changed, it is illegal to own the listed breeds on the DDA and those deemed to be type and as I say the best anyone can hope for is that the register will be reopened so that every dog that is deemed to be of type but not dangerous can live out it's natural life with it's family.
I hope that these circumstances will never happen again and if people abide by the law it wont.
Becky
Biff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Like I said before though Becky, what if this was on the other foot. Imagine this,

You have a love for Poodles, a few undesirables train a number for negative purposes (unlikely, but then I am hypothesising). A number of attacks later, and the govt ban poodles. Say, your current poodles see out their natural days on an exemption list. Would you refuse to have anymore poodles in the future, simply because they are a banned breed.

I think it is easy to say pit bull and pit bull types shouldn't be here, but they are. Opening the register would allow those that exist now to live out their natural days, do you honestly think though that the breed would simply die out, and that the police would enforce this?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »