Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 02:37 AM

Can anyone shed some light on this,?

As many will know by now, Boobah, nero and my own dogs have all came down with Kennel Cough,.

Ok : my lot have had KC before, unfortunatly before symptoms showed Dennis had taken mea over to his one day prior to being ill and gave it to his lot too,

That was a nasty strain, with green snot coming from the nose, dogs looking very unhappy and it took a bit longer to be rid of,

This time however, thank god its not so bad, but what has confused me is
My two pups got it this time, but none of the adults that caught it last time have came down with it, so Royce, Tegan and Kaos are fine,
Dennis though has not been so lucky, all of his are down with it, even the adults that had the same one mea brought in last time,,
ALL BUT MEA she is still ok not coughing or showing any real problems,
So all the adult dogs from mine are fine.
the only real diff I can see is the way we immunise our dogs

would love to hear your thoughts,
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 09:19 AM
hi hun i had 3 of mine come down with KC and the other 3 was fine it is there own anti bodys they might carr it but not show signs thats why hun, it could be that it is a diffrent strain if KC and the others can fight it where some cant. sorry hope that makes sence hun. hope you had a great xmas xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 09:19 AM
There are so many different strains of KC that it would be impossible to immunise against the exact strain. I've only had KC once and they never had it again even when exposed. I suppose it's different immune responses, your dogs could have a higher immunity because you work with dogs yourself and may bring back, inadvertently, milder strains of the disease so your dogs immunity is regularly topped up whereas Dennis doesn't?
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi Shona what are you asking, why some dogs who have been in close proximity with each other get an illness and others don't? I can't comment on the particular instance you describe and I am not a vet but would guess the following is true.

With regard to 'Kennel Cough' which is a general description for a number of infectious illnesses, I would guess that some dogs develop a degree of natural immunity once they have had a disease, others not as much.

Also anything that makes a dog less fit like worms, other illnesses,old age and being a puppy make a dog more susceptible to infection.

Once dogs have has contracted one of the illness, some may go on to develop secondary infections which may make the symptoms appear more severe in those dogs when compared to the dogs who don't get secondary infections.

Not sure if you are saying you vaccinate/have nasal drops for your dogs or not? You would need to vaccinate against each strain for the maximum cover .
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Shona Beau came down with KC a while ago , and Skye caught it from her but Lady never got it , the only thing my vet told me was that Lady must have had a higher resistance to it , I hope all your babies feel loads better soon , and hope that the ones that have not contracted Kc stay fit an well xxdk
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi all, sorry I didnt word it too well, I guess the question is, why have neros adults except mea who lived with me untill recently came down with it again when my adults have not? Nero gives more yearly boosters than I do, none of us have had the dogs done for KC so do you think its down to him giving more boosters than I do? so in a way there immune system is being made weeker by anual boosters?
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 09:41 PM
no hun as the others have said it is all down to what strain they have been in contact with and how the body fights it, so some dogs will get KC adothers wont or will get such a mild form you don't see it. it has nothing to do with boosters as that is for some thing else. even dogs that have been vac against KC can still get it as it is like our flu jab we can still get it, just a diffrent strain. hope that helps.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Kennel cough is a viral infection, the virus, like all viruses, mutates, so giving your dog the KC drops or injections will not protect them against any new strains.

It's the same with the flu jag that people are given, I went to the docs every year to get it, the nurse advises you that it will not give protection against any new strains, so three years ago I stopped going for it, what's the point ?

I've been getting the flu jag for the past 10 years, I've had quite a few bouts of flu in that time so the flu jabs don't give full protection, since stopping getting the jabs I've never had the flu.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Its a very random virus Shona, its hit and miss. We had it in our kennels about 5yrs ago some got it, some didnt, even dogs living together ended up with one having it and one not. I have had it here in the past and my oldies never got it but the others did, none of them are vaccinated against it and none recieve boosters.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I think that the fact that Mae lived with you and hasn't got it, even though Nero's other dogs have, is probably down to what was suggested before, in that your dogs (along with Mae) may have been inadvertently, but frequently 'topped up', which helps to build up their immunity, and this would have been when Mae was with you, so she is as immune as your adults who too are fine

I too admit though that in the 2 years that Mr Woo had the KS nasal, he had KC twice, and since we stopped that, he hasn't had it at all MY bitch has never had the Nasal, and never had it !!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >