Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Nothing wrong in that, I often think I would like to come back as dog in a home like ours or yours but not into the ownership of the many human cretins there are on this planet.
Same here.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Hi Morningglory,

I hope Tye is improving and responding to the treatment.

A while back, I wrote about our dogs being on Milbemax. That is for lungworm, not heartworm. Duh!
I'm not sure if there's heartworm in the UK? I'm sure someone will put me right.

Will be watching for your update.

Nicky
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
Hi Morningglory,

A while back, I wrote about our dogs being on Milbemax. That is for lungworm, not heartworm. Duh!
I'm not sure if there's heartworm in the UK? I'm sure someone will put me right.

Nicky
Nicky
Found this on a web site.

How does Heartworm Affect Us in the UK?

Heartworm is not a major concern for us in the UK, as we have far less mosquitos than in countries such as the USA and Spain, where heartworm is more widely prevalent. It is however a concern if you are planning to take your pet with you on holiday. Veterinarians do not habitually prescribe preventative medication for heartworm in the UK, so it is therefore vital you consider preventative medicine before you travel.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Hello Morning Glory,

Just wanted to say I didnt mean any offence in post.79,just suspicious of the Vet and how he came to make a diagnosis, because I had seen a U.S.A animal programme about this Heartworm which is very prevalent in that part of the world,so apologise again.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
Hi Morningglory,

Nicky
Hello Nicky,
Want to tell you and many more about the great progress I have been having with Kye. He went through some tough times with the painful injections. Thank God the Vet told me to give his pain medication every 6 hrs, rather than every 8, because he could not get comfortable ,kept getting up and pacing.He was tested in home with a test kit from the Vet , the same as they use at all Vets. Then we sent his blood out to be tested to check his blood levels, such as kidney and liver, white blood cell count etc., and they said you know he has heart worm.It is spead by mosquitos , my other little guy could get it also if I do not have him on the heartworm prevention medication.Being he has been living out in the wild , this should not suprise me, but it did anyway. Iam going to log in detail for all to see about my progress with Kye in the past week , I am just thrilled!
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hello Morning Glory,

Just wanted to say I didnt mean any offence in post.79,just suspicious of the Vet and how he came to make a diagnosis, because I had seen a U.S.A animal programme about this Heartworm which is very prevalent in that part of the world,so apologise again.
Gemini54 ,
Did not take offense ,you sound like a very nice person. Hope you are feeling well after your Hospital stay.Kye is doing well now , but the injections were very painfull, and he could not get comfortable to lie down for any length of time. When the Vet changed the pain medication to every 6 hrs instead of every 8 he did much better.You take care of youself . I will be posting for all to see about the progress I had with him in the past week. The good thoughts and prayers sent by all the good people on this site is working!
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 01:52 PM
I have had so many people giving me such good advise, praise and encouragement , on how to deal with my problem of a dog fearful of his own shadow.He was left out in the wild to fend for himself , was starving, and had a harsh winter to deal with, and no shelter..Now he had to go through heartworm treatment. Painful injections ,but he did not struggle or give us a hard time while he was getting the injections. This poor soul does not have one ounce of aggression in him.Now I have good news to tell all.Kye would not come into the house , so I put the food into the house by the door so he would eat inside, but left the door open. Let me explain I have a walkout basement , so this is where he is going into. This went on for a awhile . He would sleep in his dog house at night , and sleep out in the yard during the day . I was reminded by a couple of good souls on this site that dogs are not ferral , like cats, they depend on people. So with that in mind I continued to have a positive outlook. One day Kye was in the basement eating his dinner and a real bad storm came in quickly. He usually stays in his dog house during a storm. But it was raining so bad that he remained in the house . He then went by our entertainment center and layed there untill the storm passed , then went outside. Let me remind you that I had the door open all the time so he did not feel like he was trapped.That night he was sleeping in his doghouse and I had to give him his 3:00am pain medication. He took it and then started walking all around the yard like he was wide awake and ready to have fun.I told him I am tired and go back to bed. I closed the door , and went to bed.As I was layig there I could hear him whining like he wanted me to be with him. Try to ignore him, then he started howling like the hound dog that he is to get my attention. I thought dear Lord I cannot have him do that, the neighbor will be calling animal control on me. So I took my blanket and my pillow went downstairs opened the door and told him , you get in here and go lay down. I closed the door ,layed down on the couch with my blanket and pillow , put a blanket on the floor for him and he went to sleep.Also my other little guy jumped on the couch with me and went to sleep. He has been sleeping in the house every night now. Thank God he is in the house. I live in fear for him, because we have raccoons that could come into the yard, and the mosquitos want to eat him alive, even though I have been trying every type of repellent possible. When you live surrounded by a State Park and it has been raining alot the mosquitos are relentless. So thank you all for sending good thoughts ,meditation, prayers for my problem. Now I must work on him to not to be afraid of the TV. Let you know what happens next. Thank you again
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
What you have done is amazing.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I REALLY REALLY like you Morning Glory!

I can empathise with being surrounded by 'locals' who don't have a very high opinion of animals and no love for them.

I can definitely empathise with the mozzie problem (tho this year, so far (touch wood for luck) they haven't been so bad.

I can very definitely see me sleeping there with all the four legged members of the family rather than face the alternative.

*Some years ago when my daughter and I were planned to spend Xmas in a palatial pad up above Limassol - dogsitting for someone who'd gone back to UK for Xmas - we ended up rounding up their dog and our dog and hightailed it back to my tiny weeny 2 room apartment in Limassol just on account of this huge place being SO freezing cold that we felt so sorry for the dogs we ignored the bedrooms and shoved two sofas together and got all the quilts and blankets and slept in the living area with the dogs for the first night! (We acquired a Calor Gas fire and placed it as close to the sofas as we dared without setting them on fire!) Then the next morning, we bundled us all in my tiny car and drove back to where we had warmth and light and love! (so much for our SWISH XMAS spent in a pad we couldn't even DREAM of affording!) We'd even booked our Xmas dinner in a restaurant close to where the house was. So we had to do quite a bit of travelling too and I couldn't have a drink on Xmas Day coz I was driving! The things we do for dogs - but neither of us will ever regret it. (I'm of the mindset that the only things you are likely to regret in life at the end of it are the things you DID NOT do, not the things you DID do!

*if you weren't so far away I would love to come and visit you.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Well done Morning Glory, you are making amazing progress with this dog. I am full of admiration for the work you have done with him. Do please keep us up to date with his progress. Hugs to you both and to your other little dog. xxx
Page 10 of 21 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »