View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluemurphy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-06-2006, 11:00 PM

Confused Staffy. (aggression towards temporary caretaker's dog)

A friend of mine has been on the phone today asking me for help. She currently lives with her partner and their 2 yr old Doberman bitch. Since Sunday just gone, she has been dog minding a third persons 4 yr old staffy dog, whilst his owners are on holiday.
I have been told that these 2 dogs know each other and meet almost everyday to go on walks etc, but the Staffy has never before been into the same house as the Dobie. Both dogs are normally calm and get along really well.
But, Since Sunday. It`s not gone so good. The Staffy has become really aggressive towards the dobie. If my friend or her partner stroke their dog the staffy is attacking her (the dog, not my friend), he is also being very possessive over food and toys etc.
My friend is really worried in case a fight kicks off and someone gets hurt.
Any suggestions as to why you think this could be happening and what could possible be done would be appreciated. Ta.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 11:03 PM
i think dogs can get very territorial and whilst from what I understand that this is not the staffys house - playing in the park is one thing but being kept together enclosed is something else entirely..

Cant make any suggestions really other than I hope the people who own the staffy are due back from hols soon so that the dobiew owners can get back to normal...

I doubt that the staffy will come round especially as its not his owners that are there...

sorry not very positive or useful
bluemurphy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks, to be honest I didn`t really think that there would be much that could be done. Unfortunetly the Staffies owners only went on Sunday and they are not due back for 2 weeks.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Have to agree don't think allot can be done. Don't give the Staffy chance to be possessive over food and toys, remove the toys and feed separately, but knowing staffies he'll proberbally find something else to argue about.

Its going to be a long 2 weeks for your friend she might be best splitting them up now before the inevitable happens.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

28-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Is there some way that your friend can get in touch with the owners of the Staffy and get their permission to place him in boarding kennels?

That would be the safest and least stressful solution for all concerned.

If that is not possible then the dogs should be kept completely apart for the duration.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Is there some way that your friend can get in touch with the owners of the Staffy and get their permission to place him in boarding kennels?

That would be the safest and least stressful solution for all concerned.

If that is not possible then the dogs should be kept completely apart for the duration.
Agree totally with the above. If not seperate them now before things escalate.
bluemurphy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. i have put them to my friend and she is going to look at putting him in a kennels. Things are no better and even thought that would probably still stress him at least no-one would be hurt. Ta.
Meg
Supervisor

29-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Hi Bluemurphy How long is this person minding the dog? Does she have a key to the dog owners house and how far away is it ? Could she not stay there some of the time with the Staffy rather than put it in kennels? I am sure the dogs owner wouldn't mind, this person is doing them a faviour looking after the dog
Clob
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I have only read your post bluestaffy - I will say 3 things only

1] she needs to get her Dobe in kennels tonight (or out of that house) untill the staffs gone.

2] she needs to get the staff to someone else tonight.

3] If she does neither there is high probaility that her Dobe will be ripped apart any second and she will not know what to do to stop it.

Like it or lump it, take it or leave it, thats MO.

PS
Now I have read the other posts (I did not want to be influenced) I think the only thing I have added is immediate the urgency of the situation, I'll add, it's unlikely they will be safe playing in the park when the owners get back, as they once did.
beaududblu
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2006, 09:26 PM
hello clob
don't you think you are over reacting!!
i am a staff owner and my mums toy dog is more aggressive than my dog i am more worried about her dog ripping my dog to pieces!!! i think the staffie in question is all up in the air he has gone from his home to some where strange with another dog who is normally a playfriend to his friend rulling the roost he is probally woundering what the hell is going on!!! he is probally scared like any dog would be and behaving out of character i think to save any fights if you can put the staffie back in his home keep on going into him when you can and walking him on his own if possible. if not try and get intouch with the freinds family or neighbour and see if they can help untill your friend comes back what a terrible situation to be in i hope you sort out this horrible situation for both dogs sake
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >