Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Proton-pump inhibitors / ant-acids

Have any of you ever been prescribed any of these? If so what were your symptoms before and after taking them? And can you remember why you were prescribed them?

Here's a list of some PPIs:
  • Omeprazole (brand names: Losec, Prilosec, Zegerid, ocid, Lomac, Omepral, Omez,)
  • Lansoprazole (brand names: Prevacid, Zoton, Monolitum, Inhibitol, Levant, Lupizole)
  • Dexlansoprazole (brand name: Kapidex, Dexilant)
  • Esomeprazole (brand names: Nexium, Esotrex, esso)
  • Pantoprazole (brand names: Protonix, Somac, Pantoloc, Pantozol, Zurcal, Zentro, Pan, Controloc)
  • Rabeprazole (brand names: erraz ,Zechin, Rabecid, Nzole-D, AcipHex, Pariet, Rabeloc. Dorafem: combination with domperidone[
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Have any of you ever been prescribed any of these? If so what were your symptoms before and after taking them? And can you remember why you were prescribed them?

Here's a list of some PPIs:
  • Lansoprazole (brand names: Prevacid, Zoton, Monolitum, Inhibitol, Levant, Lupizole)
The above - when I have been on steroids (during chemo), to protect the stomach.

They didn't used to give them out when I was first ill (2002), but since I relapsed in 2009, they've always given them when on steroids.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I take 20mg Omeprazole BID as treatment for gastric ulcers caused by over-prescribed NSAIDs [which I stopped taking when they ate through the walls of my stomach].

I was also prescribed a similar PPI when I was on heavy doses of Prednisone but as I now take Omeprazole daily I do not need the other one as and when I need a course of Prednisone - which is as infrequently as possible.

No side effects from Omeprazole since taking them [about four years ago now].
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm unable to take NSAIDs for my arthritis without PPI cover.
My Hubby has a gastric erosion from aspirin for a heart condition and so takes a PPI
I have Omeprazole and Hubby has Lansoprazole.

My symptoms prior to starting the drug was quite severe epigastric pain.
Meg
Supervisor

01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Omeprazole (brand names: Losec, Prilosec, Zegerid, ocid, Lomac, Omepral, Omez,)
I was prescribed the above for an ongoing tummy problem (15 years in duration) . The symptoms were severe pain under my ribs on the right hand side/back, weight loss and nausea.
Tests were done including x-ray /ultrasound scan/endoscopy and revealed nothing at all.

I am happy to say I am rarely troubled with the problem now, the medication did nothing at all to help my condition.

Eventual diagnosis = possible gallbladder problem or IBS.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
My OH takes Omeprazole for gastric reflux he has no side effects and it mostly seems to work he does sometimes take a zantac as well.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Omeprazole is also prescribed for hiatial hernia but may be involved in calcium depletion.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
My hubby is on omeprazole 40mgs twice a day for an hiatus hernia. He got a lot of stomach pain before being prescribed them but he's ok now
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I take Omeprazole and Monolitum, for reflux problems...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys - some interesting replies. I took them once - they made my symptoms worse.

The problem with PPIs is they stop/slow the production of acid - which then allows bad bacteria (like Candida/h.pylori) to proliferate (which then causes other problems, like IBS - and also spreads to other organs like the gall-bladder etc). Many doctors now think you actually need the opposite - more acid by eating a vegetable rich diet perhaps with some mineral rich pink salt (at least in the case of Ulcers) or even taking some beta hydrochloride (obviously with caution).

The first thing I'd suggest is a test for H.Pylori - it is said to infect over 50% of us, and is the likely cause for ulcers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >