Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
HI Stph,

That's terrible about the rottie and lab. Any vet worth his salt wouldn'yt destroy a dog that COULD possibly be rehomed and raised proeprly int he right hands. Why on eareth couldn't those guys have taken the dog to a rescue? OK it's not ideal, but there would've been a chance for him.

And that poor lab. It disgusts me when people come out with stupid comments like that. Clearly they don't car much for their dog if they feed it crap all the time. Bet he doesn't get much exercise either!

If you want to see the good vets, can't you make an appoint,ment to see someone specifi? We have a choice where I go and I only see one of 2 (of the 4 vets there). I make appointments purely to see them on days when they're in the surgery and unless it's an emergency or I have absolutely NO choice, I will wait rather than see one of the other 2.

Which vets do you use?

Laura xx
It's very sad when a dog has to die like this but the way vets see it if the owners won't consider having the dog rehomed it's better for the dog to die humanely . Some owners would kill the dog themselves in an inhumane way if the vet refused PTS
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
The last two times i've been to vet i've found that most the people in there are really judgmental. They've looked at Monty like he's about to kill something any minute. He's 7 months old and had never even remotely attacked anything so why assume because he's a big breed he will kill everything.

I'd expect that at the park where children play but at the vets where animal lovers are?!?

I also hate the way people look at me with the dog at the vets because i'm young and look a lot younger than i am. Its the kind of "she's not old enough to have a dog" or "why have her parents sent her to the vets with the dog" type look.

Really riles me. And your story about the rottie is horrible, how can people do that. Surely there were other options before it came to that.

I have to say if I saw Monty I'd be fussing him. and of course your too young to have him......send him over please xxxxx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
The reply...........can you ring my Mother and tell her this as she will not believe us, and she has a large victoria sponge waiting for her on her return home How it reached 4 years old eating like that is a mystery to me
You have got to be kidding me?? I read through this forum sometimes and just can't believe that people actually think like this. What is wrong with people!??
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Just read your post and I am mortified. Poor you having to go through all that. How is Colin by the way? Nothing serious ref his eye I hope xxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:06 PM
And another thought, do vets not have a duty of care? I mean, surely it isn't right to PTS a dog who has simply growled at someone and his owner are too old to manage him (assuming there wasn't more to it than that) ?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
You have got to be kidding me?? I read through this forum sometimes and just can't believe that people actually think like this. What is wrong with people!??
''Kill your dog with kindness''' and eating cream cakes plus Victoria Spongecakes
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Just read your post and I am mortified. Poor you having to go through all that. How is Colin by the way? Nothing serious ref his eye I hope xxxx
Colin has a re-occuring eye conditon, which keeps flaring up, a type of conjunctivitis, which is allergy based, he has had a number of tests (sent to labs etc) so it is just case of keeping it under control when it occurs and I like to catch it as soon as it starts up, so it gets sorted quicker and less painful for him.

He's sleeping off his 'disgust' on my bed now.

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
And another thought, do vets not have a duty of care? I mean, surely it isn't right to PTS a dog who has simply growled at someone and his owner are too old to manage him (assuming there wasn't more to it than that) ?

I think your way, it is so upsetting, as i said i was stroking him and the older guy was watching, but he never said ''Oh! don't he's aggressive'' or anything like that, it did seem that the vet was really trying to persaude them though as she was in and out and even another vet went in, but it would appear that the owners themselves wouldn't budge.
When i worked in that line, I have come across people who seem to feel that if they can not handle a dog....then no-one can, sometimes I wondered if it was abit of selfishness....''I can not do, so I don;t want anyone else doing it''
Wonder if they felt that or was just fed up with his lack of obedience/manners
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 07:11 PM
it turns your gut ,to think ,its so easy to put ,healthy animal to sleep ,i think it needs stopping the over weight animals ,make me angry
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 07:18 PM
How very very sad
Do Vets just put animals down then, just on someones whim?
I would have thought that they would have tried to talk them out of it, tried to rehome it or something.
That has really upset me. I can understand how you must have been feeling
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
How very very sad
I would have thought that they would have tried to talk them out of it, tried to rehome it or something.

I don't know if they still do but they used to. About 6 years ago we lived in a pub that was also a hotel. We had a couple check in on a midweek night for 2 days, i was working nights at the time. Anyway my mum woke me up about 2 hours after i'd got in saying the police needed a statement from everyone who'd seen this couple. I thought it was all rather odd.

Anyway they'd committed suicide in our of our rooms on the first night of their stay. They had a left a note explaining it - she had leukemia and he couldn't bear to be without her so being a doctor he got them both the necessary drugs and they made a pact, wrote letters for family and headed up coast to our gaff.

Anyway as the police investigated it turned out she was not dying at all, she was due to be declared bankrupt and had duped him into believing otherwise.

What has this got to do with dogs i hear you say, well they had two dogs that they took into the vets and had put down before they left their home and according to the stories the vets just did it, no questions asked. Such a shame as those dogs could've been found new homes and would've surely survived two days at home on their own until they were found.

Sorry if that hi-jacked your thread a bit Steph, just wanted to give the background of the story.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
it turns your gut ,to think ,its so easy to put ,healthy animal to sleep ,i think it needs stopping the over weight animals ,make me angry
Still thinking about it, as for overweight, you'd of died if you'd of seen that Lab.
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
How very very sad
I did get the feeling that there was alot of talking going on, the vet was in and out and even asked another vet in to speak to the owners.....something must of gone on with the owners, because even the nurses afterwards, didn't offe thier condolences.....and they usually do
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I don't know if they still do but they used to. About 6 years ago we lived in a pub that was also a hotel. We had a couple check in on a midweek night for 2 days, i was working nights at the time. Anyway my mum woke me up about 2 hours after i'd got in saying the police needed a statement from everyone who'd seen this couple. I thought it was all rather odd.

Anyway they'd committed suicide in our of our rooms on the first night of their stay. They had a left a note explaining it - she had leukemia and he couldn't bear to be without her so being a doctor he got them both the necessary drugs and they made a pact, wrote letters for family and headed up coast to our gaff.

Anyway as the police investigated it turned out she was not dying at all, she was due to be declared bankrupt and had duped him into believing otherwise.

What has this got to do with dogs i hear you say, well they had two dogs that they took into the vets and had put down before they left their home and according to the stories the vets just did it, no questions asked. Such a shame as those dogs could've been found new homes and would've surely survived two days at home on their own until they were found.

Sorry if that hi-jacked your thread a bit Steph, just wanted to give the background of the story.
Thats so sad................poor dogs
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >