Our sister sites
Our sister sites
swissem
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:58 AM

best breed for competition obedience?

Hi

In your opinions / experience what is the best breed for competition obedience?
(Excluding the border collie, as I know they are good)

List 1 - 5
1 being the most intelligent.

labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I would have thought German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers would be next on the list. Not sure after that.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Well you have already said you know how good border collies are for competition obedience and I think you will find they are the number 1 choice for the competitive obedience handler

From my experience of visiting obedience comps, I would say the GSD comes a close second to the collie. (My two fave breeds as well!)

In our old comp club there were also a number of other breeds who excelled - most particularly standard poodles.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
The best dog for anything is the one you love and bond with
I have seen some great obedience rotties and crossbreeds

I totaly disagree getting a dog just to do one sport or something - what happens if the dog just dosent like the sport?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:40 AM
The best dog for obedience is the one that you enjoy competing with.

I've competed with BCs, GSDs, Beardies, Crossbreeds with success. My friend, Margaret, won the Crufts Obedience Championships with a crossbreed. I've got another friend who has just won a Res Ob CC with a crossbreed & in the past she has won Ob CCs with another X breed.

Obedience success relies an awful lot on the ability of the handler to bring out the best in their dog-Yesterday I had an"oodle"3rd in my line up who has taken his handler from Pre Beginners to A & B in two years-which is good going.
swissem
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Of course it's the best dog you bond with, and that the dog enjoys it too. I have a labrador, but I see so many collies doing obedience I was just wondering what other dog breeds are renound for being intelligent for obedience.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by swissem View Post
Of course it's the best dog you bond with, and that the dog enjoys it too. I have a labrador, but I see so many collies doing obedience I was just wondering what other dog breeds are renound for being intelligent for obedience.
Just to think a little laterally, I guess one could also say, that because a dog is obedient, does that mean it is actually intelligent?

I'd concur with the dogs bred very much to work with humans such as the BCs, GSDs, etc. BSDs my breed are very capable but you do need a lot of humour and also to enjoy the ride ... so IMO not ideal for Obedience if someone is really deadly serious about it. However a skilled positive trainer can get a lot out of them and they can work beautifully (remember Freya, a few years ago, winning the Crufts Bitch Obedience? she was clicker trained).

I think in the UK you do tend to get the BCs and GSds mostly but it's a bit different abroad I believe?

Wys
x
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I'd say, generally speaking, you see a lot of collies (noted that you said that already), GSD's, retrievers and I'd also rate poodles quite highly for obedience as well I have a lab and although we've never competed properly, he does really really well in classes. We did a local competition and we got 79 1/2 out of 80... so I'd put labs in there too!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
there are many fab breeds for doing obed,

but I wouldnt swap my rotties for another breed on the hope of doing well with them, I love working, training and living rotties to much,

though other breeds that do well are

x breeds,
gsd's
BSD

agility from what I have seen,
many many breeds do well, I loved watching them at crufts, there was a little pap that I totaly fell in love with, gee it could zoom round and do its stuff
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
1. ESS
2. GSD
3. GOLDEN RETRIVER
4. X BREED

and cant think of a 5th but ovb choice would be a collie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >