Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by huskadie
forgive my ignorance but what is a canny collar and what does it do?
it'a a different kind of head collar that doesn't put pressure on the collar (which is why we use one for ziggie, noto because he pulls!) if you type it into a search engine a website will come up.
H xx
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by need4speed
Would never use such a thing, why force a dog into walking properly when it can be trained to walk nicely with much less distress caused to the dog.
Well I have a Samoyed here that you are welcome to try and train to do so.. But after 7 years of trying I think its not going to work.. What kind of dog do you have?? Some dogs are easier trained than others...

Oh and force is not an issue with a Canny Collar it is simply a normal collar with a nose band and the lead is hooked on at the back of the head NOT under the chin..
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I have found the halti brilliant. Dizney hates it but is used to it. Its better for him and me at the end of the day my hands aren't shreaded to pieces and he doesnt miss any of his walk because i just cant take being pulled and hurt and dare i say it..embrassed because my dog is out of control pulling me where HE wants to go.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Sydney is just coming up to 6 months and is sooo strong. We use a halti and walks now are a pleasure. Although she did not like it at first she is now fine with it and comes running up to have it put on when it is walk time.
She does not pull when she has it on and walks nicely along side, and also she does not try to jump up at people passing to give them a lick!! A bit alarming I am sure for these people who are just minding their own business.
Also our son (10) is now able to walk her (not on his own, with one of us walking along side), which he could not do if we just had her on a normal collar because he simply could not hold her.

In all it has made a real difference. Because she is now walking alongside we are able to encourage her to be there and treat any appropriate behaviour. When she is on a collar and pulling it really just turned into a constant battle not to fall over, let alone do anything else.

At training they do not like us to use a halti and so have had to go back to collar, but we are finding that really hard as she is so keen to go and see the other dogs!! We are thinking about getting a harness tomorrow in preparation for our class next week.

So - a bit yes to the Halti from us and our big, strong dog!!
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I used a halti with my old dog Toby - he wasn't particularly huge but strong and very wilful (year old rescue hound - nil training before I took over - don't think he knew what had hit him!!)

I used to use the halti in conjunction with a normal collar and lead - halti was used as a training aid rather than a means of hanging on. He wasn't very pleased with it to start with but to begin with I had him wearing it in the house while we were doing basic training commands - sit, down etc, so he got used to the feeling of it before I attached the lead. (I definately wouldn't leave any dog unsupervised while wearing a headcollar though)

Try and see it from your dogs point of view - she won't be used to the feeling of headgear at all let alone the pressure of you on the end of a lead! Try to break her into it slowly and sympathetically - she is only a baby - and persevere with the healwork. Try not to use the headcollar as an easy way out - if you do that then she will just resent it more and more and not understand what she is doing wrong to make this thing round her head annoy her.

I completely agree though that it is better to be safe and use a headcollar than let your dog drag you wherever he/she wants to go - realistically, every walk cannot be a grade A training session and sometimes you just need to get somewhere safely and securely!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I have found halti's to be a godsend. There are now quite a few different ones to choose from, I always used the buck standard halti but found that it would run up into Cody's eyes although he still never objected to it. I have used nice bright red ones so that the uninformed out there do not think that my boys are muzzled. He has worn a halti since he was five months old. I always put them on my male dogs, more for my own safety than anything else as they are reasonably well behaved,but powerful. Cody does not get on very well with other dogs until he gets used to them so he has to stay on lead at first.
Two years ago I invested in some Dogmatic leather headcollars and they have been marvellous. They don't run up at all and they are nice and soft. They look good too. I got black leather with brass fittings but they come in brown leather or with stainless steel fittings. They are not cheap but you only need to buy it once!! They can be found on the internet www.dogmatic.org.
Most dogs object at first to having to wear a headcollar but they will get used to them with perseverance.
As a rescue organisation(Boxer) we provide each of our rescued dogs with a brand new collar and a Halti. We have had dogs handed in just because the owners cannot walk their own dog!
Persever - you will find it well worth it. It is not a cop out instead of training, it is just a training aid. Anything that will make my(and my dogs) life easier can't be bad.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I use a halti on my friends GSD, Bella. She is still occasionally trying to rub it off, but mostly she just trots along.

I simply cant hold her without it..

Your dog just won first round, if you say: "oh no that didnt work". It will do this protest a lot in the beginning.. But it will get used to it

I only wear a normal collar on my own dog. She is still strong, but its a more constant pull where as Bella has these quick jumps and pulls, so you are caught by surprise.. She has pulled me over a few times before I started using the halti on her.

Wouldnt walk her without it. And she is still wearing it when off lead, no problem there..
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I tried a gentle leader (more or less the same )but i didnt like it as it seemed to me to sqeeze gemmas head when fitted properly and too loose otherwise , so we bought her a gen con its brilliant no catches it just slips straight over her head and da daaaaa she stop pulling , its soft and comfy too and washable .
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Sorry Never Used 1...but Things Can Change....megs Only 7months.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, we've tried them all There is no way we get anywhere with any kind of head collar on Cassie, she's like a bucking bronco. Many dogwebbers have had great success with both Halti and Canny. Cassie got out of both We now have a harness and strictly make her walk to heel. Long process but starting to see the benefits though. She's tiny though so easier to control. Don't envy those of you with BIG dogs. Think you just have to keep trying til you find what's best for you and flog the ones that don't work on E-Bay.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >