Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:15 PM

"Novice" owner and Vet rant!!!

Damned annoyed today! Lady brings in her 5mth old yellow lab in to board, really nice lady and its her first dog. I check the vacc card and the dog is down as being "chocolate" and the surmane is spelled differently to what we have. I call the vets to clarify as we always do. They said its definately the same dog, but cannot explain to why the dog is down as chocolate!!!! The owners said when she took him for vaccs they were not sure what colour he was!! How on earth is that? He is a normal darkish yellow colour!! Cannot believe that staff at a Vets cannot tell the difference between yellow and chocolate and furthermore questioned if the dog was even a Lab!!! Of course the owner was not happy but its her first dog and was very naive.

She also told us how she was FORCED into making an appointment to have him neutered at 6mths old! She doesn NOT want this done and said so but was fed the "you have to have it done" scenario or you are a bad owner! Gosh this annoys me. Anyway, long story short, pup of lovely temperament, well behaved, sociable outgoing nature will keep his bits!

DAwn.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
WOW! Some people are jut ignorant.
TalentedMrRiply
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

She also told us how she was FORCED into making an appointment to have him neutered at 6mths old! She doesn NOT want this done and said so but was fed the "you have to have it done" scenario or you are a bad owner! Gosh this annoys me. Anyway, long story short, pup of lovely temperament, well behaved, sociable outgoing nature will keep his bits!

DAwn.
Why would she not want this done?
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Surprises me that staff at a vets can't tell the difference between two colours - let's face it, a 5 yr old could! Hamish is our first dog and our vet made out neutering was essential and at 5 month check got us to make an appointment to have him neutered a month later... I suppose we were a bit naive in that we thought they were the 'experts' who knew best as Hamish was done at 6 months.. not sure if I would have done this now that I have looked into it more but at the time he was the professional and I thought they knew best.

Glad he's a lovely wee boy tho!

Deedee
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Some vets really are just numpties!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I think the vets are right to try and push neutering for PET owners as unless they are show dogs then I really think the best thing is to get them neutured to stop the amount of unnecessary litters in the UK.

I dont see a problem with the vets pushing it, and many people would simply not think about getting it done if vet didnt suggest it. Its all education I suppose and what way it is done
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I know some people disagree. Keira was 6 months and Kato will be about 12-18 months must say I am from the school of early neautering.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
You just have to remember that vets are human and so you get numptie ones, opinionated ones, mis-informed ones, etc.
But you do get lovely ones too, so at least we can all vote with our feet.
Problem with new owners is how do they tell?

P.S just to add I had this with a silver car that was down on it's MOT form as blue. Why? The mechanics all wore blue overalls and standing next to my shiny car it looked blue, doh! Nice to know they were so thorough.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I dont see a prob the pushing it, but its when pushing turns to boarderline intimadation is out of order.

I was going to say until you said it was a "normal darkish yellow" that I have seem some really bad colours in labs that a mistake could be made. As for questioning if it was a lab, pah they are unmistakeable.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Glad you saw her first Dawn, i'm not for getting dogs getting chopped for no reason so glad he is keeping his bits!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »