Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 10:27 AM

scar= thug

I don't know if this is in the right section but i am just so riled up by this that i needed to post and get your opinions!

I grew up with a family who we were really close too and still are. We are now 21, 19, 18, 17 and 13 in age and me, and her oldest (21) often go out together on a night out.

Last night she came to meet up with us and we were having a good time, until her brother rang who is 19 saying he was having some trouble with Republic (the club) bouncers. They wouldn't let him in cos he was dressed too casual which he wasn't at all. We tried again but they kicked him, his friend and his sister out of the queue again, leaving me to go in with my 3 friends. The woman on the door said this too me:

"Are you with that lad, you do know the real reason he didnt get in dont you? Its because of that f**king awful scar on his face, everyone thinks he's a thug!"

I just looked at her and said well everyone thinks wrong then don't they?!

SO my question is, Do you think it is right that my friend is refused entry to places because of a scar on his face (about 5 inches long) that he got when he was 10 playing football. A lad tackled him and then stamped on his face with his studded boots. He isn't a trouble causer at all, he just wants to get on with his life and have a good time as every lad my age does.

But every time he goes out places refuse him entry because of a scar that isn't his fault. What do they expect him to do hold a sign above his head saying i am not a thug?!

Later last night 4 thugs set upon him and beat him black and blue and the police and bouncers wouldn't do anything because they said he was looking for trouble "with a scar like that"

ARGHHH!!! It gets me soooo mad cos he really is the loveliest lad you could ever wanna meet and he doesnt deserve any of this!!!

Frances! x
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 10:39 AM
That poor lad

Why is it that people judge others for what they look like.

'Never judge a book by it's cover' is what I say
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Thats discusting discrimination comes to mind and I thought there were laws about that.Lots of people have terrible scars due to accidents like your Friend or car accidents or them being inflicted by the real thugs of this world.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
the poor lad - guess people are just making snap judgements cos of his scar.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 11:16 AM
That is awful.

There is a young woman in the next town, who has numerous facial piercings, tattoos and very short varying coloured hair. Her clothing is pretty extreme too. I am quite sure she cares for her Mum who has something like MS.

Anyway, to my point. Children can be nasty, but they can also be so much kinder than adults. I have seen the way people look at this woman, and hear things like "oh my god did you see the state of her?" - comments by adults. A couple of years ago, we were in Wimpy, and so was this woman and her Mum. My boys kept looking, especially Joseph who was then just 4 years old. I told him to stop staring, and his reply was this:

"I can't Mummy."
"Why?" I asked him
Joseph then said something truly wonderful "I keep looking at her because she is really beautiful. She has lots of shiny things on her face and it looks pretty."

I couldn't resist - I told her. She was really pleased, and thanked him. She may have looked a bit different but has a heart as we all do.
Many think she is a thug, or rough, or horrible - why does society think you have to look a certain way to be a certain way? So small minded.

I really feel for your friend, and for you to having to hear these nasty comments. xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
That's awful The poor lad.

My hubby has recently had brain surgery and he has a scar that he gets paranoid about, i know he'd be very upset if someone said he looked like a thug because of it
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by franc1987 View Post
they said he was looking for trouble "with a scar like that"
What the heck do they expect him to do - leave it at home ???!!!!

Flippin` ignorant idiots. I hope if any of them have kids that they dont have anything happen which leads to a scar, no doubt the parents, [ the bouncers ], would have Asbo`s slapped on them before the stitches came out, and if not why not, as such scars `must` mean thuggery in their braincell-less opinions
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 02:51 PM
That is awful! How can anyone treat him that way because of a scar! It's not his fault it's on his face, if it was anywhere else no one would even know about it. It shouldn't matter anyway. Since when did having a scar make you a thug

Poor guy. That must be so frustrating and upsetting
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 03:46 PM
some ppl just see whats in front of them and not whats beneath, a friend of ours, hes got a techni coulered mohician, covered in tats, multi peirced. and hes the nicest person anyone could meet, hes bring up 2 kids better than alot of single mums could (no offence to single mums intended) hes a master chef, worked for top hotels ect. and all ppl see is the outside and dont get to know the inside,
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2006, 03:58 PM
People can be very judgemental and unkind. Perhaps he should write to the manager of the club and ask for their reasons, in writing, as to why he has been excluded from the club as he sees it as discrimination due to a disability and there are laws against that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >