Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
how was the question for me? i cant answer what they do with their own dog in winter, because i dont know!
The question was directed to you , because you said it was OK for it to live outside on a chain, that`s why I asked you if the same went for ALL weather.

I asked you , because you know the dog and owner, and assumed you would know (considering you said its well cared for) how its kept.

You made a blanket statement that the dog was well cared for living chained to a kennel, yet you did not take into consideration the weather at all times of year.

You said it was fine, then it was not so fine if it was chained up in the snow, now its fine again , because its loved.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
so explain to me then what is the difference of having a dog in a run or on a rope?
and what do you think of dogs like sled teams that get tethered up?
You`re having a laugh, yes?
Tell you what - tie one of your dogs up. Love them, feed them all you like. Now do it for a year. Or ten. Or till they die. Do you feel good about that?
Spurious red herrings don`t change the fact that chaining up for years a horse, dog, cat, child, pig or any other living creature is wrong.
You seriously can`t see that?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Because other people put it better:

Chaining dogs unleashes bad behavior

Dog trainer Victoria Stilwell,

I am constantly surprised at the number of my clients who regularly chain or tie their dog in the backyard for long periods of time and then wonder why the dog is misbehaving on and off the leash.

Unfortunately, such tethering is common practice in the U.S. because of the less structured design of American real estate and common lack of fencing between properties. The well-meaning but misguided rationale I usually hear is that tethering is the only way for the dog to be under control outside without owner supervision.

Further, many clients have the incorrect belief that if the dog is outside most of the time, it doesn't need to be walked and won't suffer as much from lack of human contact.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that keeping your dog in your backyard most of the day will replace his natural need for stimulation and get you off the hook for not walking him. In fact, it almost always does more harm than good, since the backyard becomes just another "room" in which he can quickly get bored.

A study by the American Veterinary Medical Association in 2000 showed that 17% of fatal dog attacks on humans between 1979 and 1998 were from dogs that were restrained on their property by tethers at the time of the attack, and many of the victims were children.

So why are chained dogs more likely to bite, and why are the incidences of these attacks becoming so common?

Tethered dogs have a greater tendency to respond aggressively to an approaching person (even if it's someone the dog knows), yet owners often seem unaware that continual confinement can cause immense frustration, which leads to increased reactivity or desire to chase and bite a person. Certain dogs are particularly territorial, becoming protective over space or property and putting anything approaching their territory at risk.

Dogs tethered in yards with no fences are much more accessible to the public, including children who often can't resist touching or sometimes teasing a dog. Unable to increase the distance between itself and an approaching stranger, the dog has no option but to fight. Tethered dogs are also at the mercy of other animals that may wander onto their territory and are at risk of getting tangled in their tethers and being injured.

A dog is a social animal, so lack of social interaction can seriously damage its psychological well-being, causing a buildup of frustration and anger that can explode at the slightest trigger.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post

Further, many clients have the incorrect belief that if the dog is outside most of the time, it doesn't need to be walked and won't suffer as much from lack of human contact.
But it has been said that this dog is walked, taken out to the pub and spends time loose on the yard with it's owners so is not directly comparable to a dog chained in the garden and ignored all day.

I agree unsupervised chains are dangerous and I don't agree with animals being chained 24/7 but this dog is given time off it's chain and with it's family. I would personally prefer if it was in some sort of kennel and run atleast overnight and especially in bad weather and perhaps the OP could suggest this if they discover the dog is left out in the snow?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I notice a pattern with the same poster/s almost bullying op on yet another of her threads. It seems people have jumped on the "chained up" and "guard dog" words in her post and chosen to ignore anything else said.

I wouldn't keep a dog tied up bit if it's cared for in every other way (the same if it was in a kennel and run) I see no problem with it.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I notice a pattern with the same poster/s almost bullying op on yet another of her threads. It seems people have jumped on the "chained up" and "guard dog" words in her post and chosen to ignore anything else said.

I wouldn't keep a dog tied up bit if it's cared for in every other way (the same if it was in a kennel and run) I see no problem with it.
Agreed, I wonder what would have come of it had she said tethered and watchdog in the original post. Also if it had been a none guarding breed?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Agreed, I wonder what would have come of it had she said tethered and watchdog in the original post. Also if it had been a none guarding breed?
But she didn't , she said guard and chained,!!

One can always not post if one does not want opinions that don't suit.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But she didn't , she said guard and chained,!!

One can always not post if one does not want opinions that don't suit.
I agree but there are right ways and wrong ways of responding to a post. Sometimes it pays to try reading responses in several different tones before replying to ensure that no offence can be read in the words unless, of course, that is what you are aiming for.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
I agree but there are right ways and wrong ways of responding to a post. Sometimes it pays to try reading responses in several different tones before replying to ensure that no offence can be read in the words unless, of course, that is what you are aiming for.
The right and wrong ways of responding to posts are written in our rules and regs, as far as I know they have not been broken, as I am sure you have taken the time to read them.

If anyone does not abide by them they will be penalised , if ofcause you fell they have been breached you can report said post.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I understand the rules and regulations however sometimes people just need to be understand and be compassionate towards one another. I'm sure if the op discovers the dog is left to fend for itself in anyway they would appeal to their friends to resolve the situation however as it stands at the moment the dog is not suffering the fate that has been alluded to in previous posts.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'm sure this is something that has been said many a time in order to back out of a thread and I admit this is what I am doing now. I do not wish to make an enemy of anyone but I wished to show support for someone who asked an interesting question and in the end was backed in to a corner with no way out by a group who felt differently from their opinion.
Page 11 of 50 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »