Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charmedassassin
New Member!
Male 

19-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Ultrasonic training collars

Ive been thinking about getting an ultrasonic collar to help with training my dog as when he barks at people or other dogs near on impossible to get his focus. Ive read some reviews of these collars but they are on the websites of the sellers, so just wanted to know if any of you have used them and are they effective in dog training ????
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 01:48 PM
No! No! No! You mustn`t use them on a nervous doog - it`ll make the problem much worse.
You`ve already been given excellent advice on what to do.
Your dog is warning that he`s stressed (barking at people to make them stay away) A punishment for barking will either make him more frantic or stop him giving the warning and going straight for the bite.
Would you punish a child for crying when it`s afraid? Punishing the expression of a feeling doesn`t take the feeling away.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I have a nervous dog and he use to do the same. It took time, patience and hard work he no longer barks at strangers, he does not want to say hello to them but at least he walks by quietly now. We are now overcoming him barking at strange dogs while on lead and again with time and patience we are seeing a small difference.

Please as Claire says do not think about using one of these collars particularly not on a nervous dog.
charmedassassin
New Member!
Male 

19-03-2010, 02:00 PM
ok that idea is straight in the bin
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by charmedassassin View Post
ok that idea is straight in the bin
Smart move As the others said, given your case, you could well do more harm than good. Adversive methods really do not help aggresion cases (particularly fear aggression, you'll just be adding more stress onto an already stressed dog). Your dog isn't misbehaving on purpose and needs correcting, the reaction seems to be fear based and doesn't need more negative experiences.

I can see exactly why you'd consider it though - desperately looking for a solution and you'll consider anything that might help? Sadly there is no quick fix solution to your dogs problems, no gadget will "fix" him. You need lots of time, patience and understanding combined with slow, steady training - it may be frustrating at times but you will see results, just stick at it. Good luck and all us on Dogsey are here to support you
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Agree with everyone Glad you are binning the idea

It is hard work and upsetting to have a dog reacting aggressivly
I know!
People look at you like you are total scum, but you are not, unlike the vast majority of the public you are not just giving up on your dog but you are looking for ways to help this problem

It wont go away overnight
I am 18 months into this. I know I could have gotten here quicker if I had known more
But today we walked past a strange dog on the other side o the street with only a little bark then focused on me

we still have bad days but I am so proud of her on the good ones

and you will get there too!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No! No! No! You mustn`t use them on a nervous doog - it`ll make the problem much worse.
You`ve already been given excellent advice on what to do.
Your dog is warning that he`s stressed (barking at people to make them stay away) A punishment for barking will either make him more frantic or stop him giving the warning and going straight for the bite.
Would you punish a child for crying when it`s afraid? Punishing the expression of a feeling doesn`t take the feeling away.
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Smart move As the others said, given your case, you could well do more harm than good. Adversive methods really do not help aggresion cases (particularly fear aggression, you'll just be adding more stress onto an already stressed dog). Your dog isn't misbehaving on purpose and needs correcting, the reaction seems to be fear based and doesn't need more negative experiences.

I can see exactly why you'd consider it though - desperately looking for a solution and you'll consider anything that might help? Sadly there is no quick fix solution to your dogs problems, no gadget will "fix" him. You need lots of time, patience and understanding combined with slow, steady training - it may be frustrating at times but you will see results, just stick at it. Good luck and all us on Dogsey are here to support you
What they said!!

Well done for asking for advice. After all, so many people jsut go off half cocked and try out these methods, making the whole situation worse. With a nervous dog you'd destroy him if you used this methods on him, particularly as he's a GSD.

He's telling you he's not happy, there's something the matter that he doesn't like, can't cope with or doesn't knwo how to deal with.

As his owner it's up to you to protect him and h ewill learn that in time. As you build the relationship with your dog he'llcome to understand that he can trust you 100%, that you will always look after him adn that he doesn't need to get stressed out because you're there for him always.

GSDs who are nervous need extra care, extra time, patiene, consideration and understanding. Let him progress in his own time and don't try to rush things. Do things with him that you know he enjoys, whether that's playing tuggy, throwing a ball or practising retrieve, going to training etc - anything that can build trust between you.

Work hard with him and persevere. You'll end up with a lovely dog who will be trustworthy, loyal and with a friendship that can never be broken.

Do you have a trainer or are you taking him to training? I notice you're in Birmingham. Whereabouts are you?

Laura xx