Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think we all have periods like that don't we...
i said that and felt guilty afterwards but its very true ....sometimes i do feel like they rule me LOL
sometimes even if i move they are one step ahead of me

we do have a good routine here though and i hope we can help her put one in place that suits her
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
There have been a number of threads recently about separation anxiety which might be worth looking up (though this may be more attention seeking than separation anxiety.)
Sounds like the dogs are used to getting affection/attention when they want it rather than when this lady wants to give it. I wonder whether when she is in the same room with them, she always gives them attention - even if it is letting them lie next to her.
It might be worth her trying limiting affection to when they have done what she wants - praising good behaviour and ignoring them when they are purely attention seeking.
If they are already in the habit of getting attention all the time, it might be difficult to start with.

If she is really struggling I would suggest that she gets in a behaviourist to help her.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:21 AM
thanks hali ...good advice i am going to phone her later and try to get her to join here she may be able to tell tou more details ....my hubby wonders if they see her as part of the pack not the boss
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
hi Inca I wonder why this person got a second dog if she found a dog took over her life, maybe the problem started when the second one arrived and the first one copied the puppy..

I would say the answer is getting the dogs used to being alone, this is achieved by taken the dogs out for a walk to make sure they have relieved themselves and are more likly to settle, then using the room which contains the dogs beds leave the room closing the door without look at or speaking to the dogs.
Return after a few moments preferably when the dogs are quiet, and do something like going in the cupboards still ignore the dogs, no word no eye contact.

After a few times of going in and out of the room/closing the door/ignoring the dogs go back into the room wait a few moments and when they are quiet speak to them giving lots of praise..

This needs to be repeated a number of times each day and don't expect instant results it will take time.Also suggest she leaves the radio on with a voice programme, this will mask the sound of her movements.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:31 AM
thanks mini ............the other thing is she said they follow her everywhere she said its like having a pair of fluffy slippers on ..i suggested for those jobs she needs some space for to make then have a sleep time ? what do you all think
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Think she needs to go back to scratch... start leaving them for short periods. Be a bit harder than teaching a puppy coz they obviously have become used to her being there all the time but I reckon over time they'll be fine. Think she just needs to be hard about it and not fall for the soppy looks and the whines. All the usual stuff, ignore them when she comes in and when they are howling, barking etc
I would agree with Ian on this one. It isn't going to be easy, and it may require some help from a trainer or behaviourist, but she really needs to start taking her life back - being firm but fair, leaving the dogs for short periods at first, shutting them in another room for short periods whilst she is at home (or even better behind a babygate).

What breeds are they, out of interest?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
one yorkie and one yorkie cross
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
thanks mini ............the other thing is she said they follow her everywhere she said its like having a pair of fluffy slippers on ..i suggested for those jobs she needs some space for to make then have a sleep time ? what do you all think
They can't follow her if they are shut in the kitchen she needs them to get used to the idea when she leaves them alone it is no big deal and she will always return. This can be done with the method described above and time and patience.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:50 AM
This friend could be me! I'm afraid to say I have the same problem with my Ozzie. So cant give any advise, but will be watching this thread with great interest. Have just returned from the vets this morning, my vet is going to put me in touch with a behaviorist as soon as she's sorted out Ozzies sore tail!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
thanks the first thing i said was that i have 3 stair gates up...one on the conservatory door leading into the kitchen one on the kitchen door and one on the stairs that way they can go where i want them to be and they get free run of the house at times when i'm not busy and can watch them ...i am going to pass all this on as i really did feel for her she sounded like she loved her dogs so much but things were out of control
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >