View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Nope-i cant get used to them and prefer to walk places where i can let him off lead.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by Meganrose
Either that or your an octopus girl
PMSL - I guess I am a bit Kath, but my better skills are being able to keep up with a zig-zagging dog by lifting my leg (quite high, mind you!) over the lead and doing turn-around's. I suppose we sometimes looked more like we were dancing than walking. Fortunately, Lennon grew out of it and now walks nicely...
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 06:34 AM
Bought one for Blondi but I just couldn't get used to it. Felt uncomfortable in my hand and I didn't feel that I had as much control or could react as quickly if needed as I can with the traditional leash.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 07:02 AM
I have always used flexis for walking my little dogs and find them invaluable. Especially for my JRT to have freedom as I can't let him off the lead as he suffers with selective deafness. I have no problems with opening and closing it but then I have used them for years and its a way for him to have a run and sniff around without getting away or being tangled up.
I have used them on bigger dogs and my Rottie x GSD has one but I don't use it often with her as I find on the bigger ones it makes my hand sweaty and if she was to suddenly pull or lunge at something it would just slip out of my hands.
I tend to take her somewhere she can play frisbee safely away from roads and let her off lead.

I have a lady come in once a week and walk my dogs when I am out for a few hours, she has never been able to grasp the use of the flexi at all and ends up in a tangled mess so she has given up and walks them both on a short lead.
I couldn't walk my dogs together using flexis as they would end up very tangled but I always walk them seperatly anyway so they get thier own special time with me.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Prefer ordinary lead.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Prefer to walk where we can use no lead, but near roads etc we use ordinary leads.
Used to use a flexi with my Boxer as he couldn't be let off and I used to do a lot of running with him, the flexi allowed for the differing speeds and we never had a problem with it.
They don't all use the same locking mechanism though and some are easier than others.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 09:44 AM
I much prefer ordinary leads, although mine are rarely on leads at all and if they are its a slip type.

Like most 'tools' for dogs, they are only as good as the idiot operating them Sadly some (not all) people use them thinking they will magically turn their dog into a well trained beastie.
I have seen the elderly meet each other out on a sedate walk, each with dog on a flexi. The dogs decide to take a dislike to each other and mayhem ensues, with the dogs wrapping themselves around each other, walking canes, legs etc......it might be funny if it werent so dangerous!
Some people with flexis often forget their dogs manners themselves, letting them wander across cycle lanes, and in front of people on pavements, which can also lead to injury - especially if the dog sees something it wants to investigate/chase/kill.

That said I have a few dogs visiting/boarding atm, and one has the doggy equivalent of altzheimers, her owners keep her on a flexi for her own safety.
I was a bit concerned that she would be wrapping herself around every tree and bush in ours woodland, and yanking my arm out of its socket to try and catch up with the many dogs dashing about, but she is very good indeed, which is less of a worry for this idiot
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2006, 09:59 AM
I used a flexi when I first got Missy as I didn't know her well enough to let her off lead. She used to chew her lead and the first flexi lasted 1 week !!!!! The next one snapped one day just as we were about to cross a busy main road . (She pulled forward just as we started to cross and the cord snapped !). She had not chewed this one, I think it snapped at the point where the brake holds the cord when locked on short. I have a new one which I use when she is in season. It will come in useful too when I can start walking her again. Since her surgery, her exercise will have to be restricted and built up slowly towards getting off lead again. Flexi will be ideal for this. Normally, I prefer a normal leather lead .
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Flexi leads are great ! With a good sized dog you can bring down a whole bus queue of OAPs at one go !
Seriously, I wouldn't trust one in anything other than a big field.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 11:08 AM

that is sooooo mean
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >