scorpiowoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Please Help! Very Sad Case!

Hi everyone!

I am new in this forum and i would just like to say a big hello to you all

i will talk about me a bit later !

But i would like to introduce you all to a dog called Max.

I rescued Max not to long ago from a run down house at the end of my road, it was obviously some sort of drugs house because all sorts of people were in and out day and night!

It was a very sad scene when i turned up as there were 11 of these types of dogs in the back of a garden. no food no water and no shelter! and it is the middle of winter!

Out of all the dogs max was in the worst condition and the smallest so i offered the one who was responsable some money for him, the man laughed at me and said " here take him have him i dont want him he isnt aggressive enough for me"

When i heard this it became apparent to me that the dogs he owned were fighting dogs ( i thought to myself what am i getting my self into!!! ) but still i took max home.

Now the reason i am asking for all of your help is tha max is very very weak, i have never come across a dog so underweight and quite frankly i am afraid i will never get the weight back on him

He needs special care as he has got cuts to his face and paws, his tip of his tail has been chewed through bordem.

And i cant take him out without a dog rug on as he starts to literally shiver

I need advice from people who own these types of dog and no how to give them the proper nutrition that they need also please could someone verify the breed of Max as i am unsure myself,

some one said to me that he is an Irish staff x Pitbull but i dont know i do not want to assume

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING MY THREAD AND I HOPE THAT YOU CAN HELP TO GET MAX TO BE HIS PROPER SELF

Regards

Rachael
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:14 PM
What a sad story but a least he is with you now for lots of TLC

eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi Rachael,

Welcome to dogsey. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some advice, in the mean time i thought i'd say hi and say that i think you've done a great thing. I'm sure there is staff in there - not sure what else though, although i may be wrong as i don't own the breed.

He's lovely hun, good on you.

Mel. x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Firstly Welcome to Dogsey and well done for getting this poor lad out of that awful situation.
You really must take him to the vets and get him checked over to see if he has an underlying problem and also get some wormer from the vet as its highly likely the morons that had him before have never bothered to worm him and this will stop him putting on weight.
Then I would put him onto 3 good meals a day of a good quality dog food and build him up slowly.
Also I would be ringing the police and getting them to do something about these people if they are fighting the dogs as its illegal and the poor dogs need getting out of there asap.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:25 PM
what a sad storey hun pleased you have him and can now start a good life for him. He does look loke a staffie to me but needs more weight.

have you been to the vets with him to have a check up if so what did they say.

i would say find a good food and give give small meals say maybe 5 small meals aday if you can give him some mince or meat like you can buy from P@H small meals will help as he will get little and often.

you will need to keep a check on his weight most vets do weight check for free so you can see how he is doing.

i am sure there will be someone else along to give you advice as well.

but he looks like a lovely doglet and much happier than he was.

can i ask have you reported the house to the RSPCA just that from the reason they gave him away, the rest of the dogs will not be in a happy staight either and should be removed. i would let them know and hope they do some thing.

let us now how it goes hun and hope your baby starts to feel better soon and gain some weight.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:27 PM
We took on a rescue GSD who had been so starved he was skeletal. We were told just to feed him on good quantities of normal food and he did fill out quite quickly.

I would look at perhaps the good quality food for junior or working dogs which has a bit more energy content that just adult food. Tripe is also very nutricious - you can get it frozen from Pets at Home and defrost it and feed it raw.

Just make sure the food is not too rich to make him hyper or give him the runs.

I am not an expert so you will probably get better advice, but I'm sure he will eat what he needs and as long as he is getting good quality food he will gain weight.

Have you reported these people to the RSPCA, as the other poor dogs will still be suffering?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:30 PM
In order to help the remaining dogs I think you should contact the police or the RSPCA to report your suspicions.

I would not normally even think of suggesting this but think you had better do it anonymously although neither organisations would reveal your name to be on the safe side.

I am sure your dog will soon responed to some TLC and good food but would suggest, if you have not already done so, a visit to the vets.
scorpiowoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi Everyone

Thank you soo much for your great replys and yes madmare i have allready bathed him , got him vaccinated and wormed.
Passport is on its way aswell

No Pita i agree with one 100% about the other dogs i am stuck in a no win situation because these dogs are agressive and they could never be rehomed they would have to be put to sleep on the other hand they are living in rather poor conditions and most probally be made to fight i think actually option 1 is a better choice dont you?

its a hard decision to make ??
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I know its a very hard decision, but if they are so aggresive they cannot be rehomed then it is much kinder for them to be rescued and put to sleep humanely than being starved, fought, and probably dying a slow painful death.
Please for thier sake report them.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:47 PM
i would report it hun they are not gettinga good life as it is so much nicer to be pts than go through life like that i now it is hard but just remember you are doing the best thing in the world for them look at your new baby and see what good you have done and know it is the right thing for them.

we are all with you on this and will help where we can.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »