View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 10:35 AM

My Duke has kidney failure : (Update @ post 42 )

Duke has kidney failure, i am gutted! He's my world and still only young. Just wanted some advice on diet..he has kd tinned food but isn't over keen, is there any alternatives or is that the best for him? hes been on a drip for 48 hours and has just come home this morning. Its breaking my heart seeing him go through this, im just glad he gets to spend this last bit of time at home.
Any other advice or hearing from someone whos gone through the same would be great.
Thankyou xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
OMG kirsty, not dear Duke I'm so, so sorry to read this, you must be totally devastated

How did you notice something was wrong, has it been going on a while? Poor, poor Duke, love him lots, and I'm sure you'll find a way to keep this under control. I have no experience of this, but isn't it Velvetboxers who does on here? Maybe pm her if she's not around? So sorry kirsty.xxx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. My Moon had kidney failure. Do you know if it's acute or chronic? Do you know the cause?
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
So sorry to hear this. I've got no advice to offer but just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. Gillx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Does this help kirsty:
QUOTE "Protein is poorly metabolized by dogs with kidney failure, but what to do about protein levels in the diet is currently an area of controversy. Some veterinarians believe a diet rich in meat, or one that contains poor-quality protein, creates an increased nitrogen load that must be handled by the liver and kidneys. Dogs with weak kidneys can be thrown into uremia by feeding them more protein than they can handle. Other veterinarians believe that as long as the protein is of high biological value, it will help the kidneys retain their function. Diet may need to be customized to the individual dog.

Restricting phosphorus intake is agreed upon by all. Medications to lower phosphorus levels may be required along with dietary adjustments.

It is extremely important to provide fresh water at all times. The dog must be able to take in enough water to compensate for her large urine output. Some dogs will need occasional boosts to their fluid intake. This can be done by giving subcutaneous (known as sub-Q or SQ) fluids. With most dogs, their owners can learn how to do this at home. In the later stages of kidney failure, dogs may need sub-Q fluids daily. UNQUOTE

Seems to be between the devil and the deep blue though about the protein levels, maybe you need to speak to the vet just to see which would be better for Duke's particular problems with his kidneys. I wish you all the luck in the world, and I'm so sorry.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
My Yorkie had kidney failure.
He hated the tinned/dry food, so vets told us to feed him chicken/fish.
No red meats
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Duke
I have no experience of dog kidney failure, but my friends border collie had his kidneys flushed at the vets and it made a huge difference. I've no idea if this is an option for Duke, but it may be worth asking your vet about it.
(((Hugs)) to you and Duke.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm so sorry
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh no I'm so so sorry xx
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 02:02 PM
It came on really fast, just started drinking and weeing more about 2 weeks ago then went off his food etc and now hes really bad. Hes gone really weak on his back end and his breathing doesn't sound too good either. its chronic kidney failure, vet doesn't know whats caused it, just said hes very unlucky and its just one of them things. Hes lost alot of weight and his muscles wasteing away. I can't stop crying, wish i could take it all away for him
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »