View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Milo Has Been referred - (updated @ post 31)

I spoke to the vet today and told her how Milo had deteriorated and she said he had a coombs test a year ago that came back negative, but as a good many come back negative even when they are positive for AIHA.
She does not want to dive in and do a marrow biopsey as she said its a big thing for him and she would like to refer him first to Newmarket.
She rang me a little later to say they could squeeze me in tomorrow at 12.30. Unfortunatly there is no way I can make it as I have nobody here to see to Shady and not time to sort anything. Plus i have other things tomorrow I can't change.
So because its Bank Holiday she has rearranged it for Tuesday at 12.30. We both hope he will be ok till then and she said hopefully they will give us some answers or if they say he should have the marrow biopsey she will go ahead and do it.
So please keep your fingers crossed for him and send some Dogsey Vibes his way, that we get to the bottom of it and its nothing too awful.
I must admit I am really worried for him as he is so pale and looking so old and yet he is only 4.
I am dreading the journey as I hate driving far, but for him I am going to attempt it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Good luck with the drive Bev, I would feel the same as you, I hate driving.
It will all be worth it to get some answers and to know just where you are.
{{{{hugs}}}} to the lovely Milo.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Oh sending HUGE DOGSEY vibes to Milo, hope it puts your mind at rest x
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Hope the results are all good for you. xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Thinking of you and Milo.....Lots of positive thoughts coming your way. Good Luck for Tuesday x
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi Bev, hugs i know this is a worrying time, i'm glad you have a referal, but, and this is not meant to scare you we nearly lost Millie in the sapce of 5 days.

There were no real symptoms with Millie other than being off her food, being a bit lethargic and pale gums, there was nothing mad that you would have gone running to the vets for other than my gut feeling that she wasn't right.

We had been running a stall over easter for the springer rescue i work for at Selby game fair when it started and i put her intial refusal of food and lethargy down to being cooped up and out of routine, but when she didn't eat on the Tuesday when we arrived home i booked an appointment anyway for that evening. Where she was admitted straight away on suspicion of AIHA, she initially had a PCV of 21 on Wednesday which is just on the low side of normal, by Friday despite intensive treatment it had dropped to 11 and we had to transfuse her at this point when i asked the vet whether i was going to lose her i got the i'm very sorry Mrs Preston. Thankfully it did bring her PCV back up to around 25 and the drugs started to work, we have been going back weekly ever since and we now have a PCV of 34 however we have just started reducing the doses that she is on and it may come back.

I suppose wht i am trying to say is if it is AIHA (and believe me i hope it isn't as its a bloody nasty horrible desease) then you have a better chance of beating it if you can start treatment as soon as possible
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Good luck - lots of thoughts heading to you.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Hi Bev, hugs i know this is a worrying time, i'm glad you have a referal, but, and this is not meant to scare you we nearly lost Millie in the sapce of 5 days.

There were no real symptoms with Millie other than being off her food, being a bit lethargic and pale gums, there was nothing mad that you would have gone running to the vets for other than my gut feeling that she wasn't right.

We had been running a stall over easter for the springer rescue i work for at Selby game fair when it started and i put her intial refusal of food and lethargy down to being cooped up and out of routine, but when she didn't eat on the Tuesday when we arrived home i booked an appointment anyway for that evening. Where she was admitted straight away on suspicion of AIHA, she initially had a PCV of 21 on Wednesday which is just on the low side of normal, by Friday despite intensive treatment it had dropped to 11 and we had to transfuse her at this point when i asked the vet whether i was going to lose her i got the i'm very sorry Mrs Preston. Thankfully it did bring her PCV back up to around 25 and the drugs started to work, we have been going back weekly ever since and we now have a PCV of 34 however we have just started reducing the doses that she is on and it may come back.

I suppose wht i am trying to say is if it is AIHA (and believe me i hope it isn't as its a bloody nasty horrible desease) then you have a better chance of beating it if you can start treatment as soon as possible
OMG thats really worried me now, but there is nothing I can do now. Its bank Holiday weekend so Tuesday is the soonest they can see us and there really is no way I can do tomorrow, and even if I could alter things (which i really can't ) its too late now anyway.
If he looks too bad I will rush him straight to my vet or the emergency vet, but hopefully it won't come to that.
Can anyone tell me what is involved in a Bone marrow Biopsey please and how the dog is after it?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:40 PM
i don't think we had the Bone marrow biopsy, if we did it was while she was in, i'm sorry to worry you, but i thought you should know this was the original thread i posted after she was first diagnosed

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=105054

Couldn't your own vet just do a simple smear test and PCV count just to see where he's at?? Mine did this in house and they could see on the smear whether the immune system was destroying the red blood cells
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I will be thinking of you both hun, fingers crossed you can get some answers and they are not awful.

I wish I was closer to drive you there x
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »