View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-10-2005, 08:10 PM
If you pick one of the wireless print servers given in the previous link, you should be able to site it near to where you intend to place the printer. If you choose the Netgear one, it should work seamlessly with the Netgear DG834GT you have already.

The USB printer cable connects to the print server instead of to your computer.

The PCs print to it via the wireless link - either directly (if they have a wireless adapter) or via the Netgear DG834GT (if they are wired directly to the DG834GT).
Pretty Kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Ahh thanks for that Royv. At the moment the desktop pc has the netgear wired to it via ethernet and the laptop has usb wireless adapter. But I am planning to put the desktop upstairs and run both off a usb wireless adpater and leave the printer/fax machine downstairs which is a standalone machine...so does it sound like this will all work if I buy the netgear print server?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-10-2005, 08:29 PM
It should work fine as a printer.

However, I don't think that you will be able to use the FAX facility from any of your computers.
Pretty Kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks royv. could I still use the fax/copier/scanner through the machine itself rather than through the pc's with it being a standalone unit?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-10-2005, 08:38 PM
If there are buttons on it for FAXing, it may be able to work directly - can you put telephone numbers directly into it ?

Copying may also work.

Scanning probably won't work - can't see how it would be able to send the images to the PC etc.

What make/model is it ?
Pretty Kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2005, 08:41 PM
yes you can imput the fax no's straight in and copy without using the pc. It's an HP officejet v45
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Looks like you'll be able to FAX and copy (as if it were a standalone).
You should be able to print.
You won't be able to scan though.
Pretty Kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that royv...you've been a great help. Thanks for the time you have spent answering my questions, I know Tom will be pleased as he can't have the pc in his bedroom until we sort all this out
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2