Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 10:16 AM

She's better now!

The poorly tum crisis has been averted! A's back to normal now after yesterday morning.

She clocked the big ginger cat this morning when we went out but I managed to stop her dragging me over the road by giving a firm verbal command (it was quite early so I hope I didn't wake anyone up!).

Yesterday evening I cam out of my house with the dogs and the little shar-pei/staffy that lives in the next street was lying in the middle of the road (a bus route as well).

I managed to get it to go back down the alley and it shot throught the privet hedge where it lives. The little boy who lives there was playing in the alley so I told him the dog was in the road and I was worreid it would get run over.

He ran in to get his mum and I had a chat with her. She said 'It's because she's in season, I've got holes in my hedge, there's nothing I can do about it.' I was thinking to myself you could fix the holes and get her spayed, but I just told her I was worried the dog would get run over because this was the third time I'd had to return her to the house.

I said I know it's difficult with the privet hedges - we've got all kinds of things blocking up gaps in the bottom of our hedge, but it's dog proof now. The lady said to me 'Well she's microchipped'. I thought to myself that won't be much use when she's splattered all over the road or comes back in pup!

But what can I do? I'm really up against it round here with the number of intact stray dogs that are around. A few months ago I had to return the little terrier that lives over the road maybe 5 times before the owners did something about their back fence. He wasn't neutered so whenever there was a bitch on heat around he was digging his way through the fence and getting out (his name's Digger by the way!). I'm not sure why he always ended up at my gate though because all I had at the time was one castrated male!

Thankfully both mine are neutered so at least I don't have to worry about my bitch getting caught by a stray.

Sometimes I wish I didn't care, but whenever I see a stray dog I feel a responsibility to get it to safety. Maybe I should start bringing them back to my house and ringing the Dog Warden rather than returning them to their homes.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Glad A is feeling better

As for the roaming dogs, it may be worth ringing the dog warden and having a chat.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-06-2008, 09:05 PM
So glad A has got over the tummmy thing. As you say it's distressing to see stray dogs in danger but there is little that can be done to change the attitude of stupid owners.