View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Or they show! I've heard of many people who dock because they wouldn't get anywhere in the ring. As for dogs damaging their tails, yep agree but so do docked dogs damage their tails so seems rather pointless to do it.
Becky
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I know the docking ban comes into force in a few months,but will it be illegal to import an already docked dog into the UK?

If people are adament they want a docked breed and are prepared to travel outside the UK for one-surely this will make puppy farming seem more lucrative to those involved..?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Docking for show is a whole different box of frogs.

For a working dog it's a case of just minimising the risk of injury to your dog who is essentially a 'tool' needed for doing a job.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-01-2007, 07:48 PM
As an owner of three Dobermans I would like to add my comments.

The whole reasoning behind docking was as far as I can tell from a historical point of view, was solely to stop certain breeds from chasing and catching game. It later became cosmetic and with lame excuses in tow like "it might break its tail" or "it might get caught" etc.

Had the Kennel club taken action some years ago when this matter was raised then a ban may not have become necessary, by introduction by way of a docked dog of a certain age beyond a specified date no longer being eligible for showing.

To clarify, if your dog is docked, you should not be able to show it, as it has been cosmetically altered.

I feel that this would have prevented many breeders from routinely docking certain breeds whether it was felt to be advantageous or not.

It really should have been a matter of choice, but with active encouragement to reduce or eliminate tail docking.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I am one of those that believe people should have the choice, but personaly I dont think the ban is going to make much difference. I doubt that 5% of dog owners show dogs, so if the ban is going to stop you showing, it is not going to affect the majority of the public.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Thats just it though, a ban on docking does not prevent you from showing your dog.

By leading the way and showing breeds that were traditionally docked, with their tails, it would have sent the right message out to the vast majority of would be owners and of course breeders. Instead what has happened is that the KC, breeders and showing circles have firmly resisted any change and so the docking ban has come to be in effect this year.

The KC should have recognised this, and so should have those that show dogs, its confounded by judges in show rings that will not even give an undocked dog that in their opinion should be docked a fair chance. In fact I would go as far as saying that many judges would eliminate the dog from any chance of a place because it has a tail.

KC are the all seeing all knowing governing body in the dog world, why did they apparently sit on their collectives ars..., I mean hands, and do nothing?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:50 PM
They tried to ban docking over 100 years ago when they banned ear cropping but they decided to agree to ban the 'gouging out' of the tails of Schipperkes and OES.
With regards to showing it will be illegal to show ANY docked dog docked AFTER the date (6th April?) but it wont be illegal to import them for breeding purposes.
Becky
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I haven't read though all the replies in this thread, so forgive me if my question has already been answered.

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
They tried to ban docking over 100 years ago when they banned ear cropping but they decided to agree to ban the 'gouging out' of the tails of Schipperkes and OES.
With regards to showing it will be illegal to show ANY docked dog docked AFTER the date (6th April?) but it wount be illegal to import them for breeding purposes.
Becky
So if you have a dog that is docked, that you also work; You will not be allowed to show it? Is that correct?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Correct you will not be able to show a docked dog after the date even if docked legally in this country under the working dogs exemption. This was done because it has been proved in other countries that not banning showing meant dogs were still being docked via a back door. I have a letter from DEFRA to that effect (although I can't actually remember writing to them lol!)
Becky
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I thought you could still show docked dogs, docked before the law comes into force and its only the dogs after the ban comes into place that are affected
Page 50 of 51 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 >