Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2012, 01:34 PM

How to teach a settle command?

Following on from another thread on here, i was wondering if anyone has any tips for teaching a settle command.
Our puppy does get the hypers and whilst we encourage some playing there are times when she then gets carried away and it can start bothering the other dogs. So, what's the best way to teach her a settle command?
Also, would this also be the same command for getting her to settle at night? She seems to think that bedtime is playtime and it can be rather troublesome getting her to settle and actually go to bed.
TIA!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

boneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:08 PM
What worked for me was waiting until my pup was tired and calmly lying down next to me. I then gently stroked him with long slow movements and added the word 'settle'.

By making the association with the cue word, gentle stroking and the pup being in a relaxed state I could later say 'settle' when he got excited and he would immediately relax, and calmly lie down on cue.

I can't say I would ever use the method in the previous link ie stand on the lead and wait until my pup was compelled into lying down. I personally feel it too harsh for a young pup.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by boneo View Post
What worked for me was waiting until my pup was tired and calmly lying down next to me. I then gently stroked him with long slow movements and added the word 'settle'.

By making the association with the cue word, gentle stroking and the pup being in a relaxed state I could later say 'settle' when he got excited and he would immediately relax, and calmly lie down on cue.

I can't say I would ever use the method in the previous link ie stand on the lead and wait until my pup was compelled into lying down. I personally feel it too harsh for a young pup.
Agree totaly - the best way to teach a word is while the dog is doing it - and for a settle you want a frame of mind too

You can also have a mat/blanket where you do calm settled things like grooming (if this is calm for them) or massage
I have only done it once and never really worked on it fully but if you sit with your dog chilled looking into his eyes and start breathing deeply and slowly you will find his breathing sincs with yours - you can take a deep breath and hold it and he will hold his breath too
make your eylids go heavy too and pup will start chilling out
then you could start adding the settle command