Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I would look at environmental management in conjunction with some other activity in order not to link the carers to the gate.

Thus I would start using the gate before the carers arrived and pair it with something extremely reinforcing that he gets at no other time. For example a stuffed kong etc.

Care needs to be taken re

1 If the dog resource guards, is it possible to "tether" the kong or similar AWAY from the gate.
2 Strict instructions must be given to all people who enter the house that on NO account are they to give the dog eye, body or verbal contact so that the dog does not learn behaviours which may be detrimental.
3 I would also make it a rule that the carers do NOT give the dog treats either certainly when this programme starts in order to determine the efficacy of the gate + reinforcing activity and neutral approach to carers.
Thanks for the advice.

He doesn't normally get kongs, so provided the gate fits on the stairs I'll try and pop him upstairs with something yummy to eat. Thankfully he doesn't resource guard anything, though I'll be sure to keep a watch that nothing starts. The carers are also very good at completely ignoring him whenever they visit, and hopefully with him being behind bars it'll put them more at ease and prevent any dodgy body language.

If for whatever reason he can't be kept safe just with the gate, I'll look into getting him a crate.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2