Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
who cares if a dog has the correct number of wrinkles or is exactly the right height down to the last cm....... Thats nothing if they are a gross inbred or ill. Puh.
Height is not measured in most breeds. Neither are wrinkles!

Why not admire the dogs on the KC "worry list" that got through?

The Shar Pei was a superb looking dog - minimal wrinkles and wide open eyes that hadn't needed tacking. That's how some breeders have been working away behind the scenes to address certain issues.

The Chow Chow as well - a pretty open faced dog with big bright eyes, instead of the little piggy ones previously favoured.

The Pug must have been bang up to order as well, as they have had a hell of a lot of flack lately, despite many pugs doing agility and even CaniX.

Those are the dogs that everyone wants to see win because they are capable, and worthy of going on to produce the next generation.

It doesn't take a lot of knowledge to see what the tiny changes are, but if everyone demands instant transformation in a species that needs at least 5 generations to alter [read: 10-15 years of work], then impatience will be the biggest threat of all.

If change is forced more quickly then a severe genetic bottleneck will occur - fine by those who want all breeds eliminated; but not really acceptable to those who want to do right by their breeds.

I sometimes wonder about people who have no interest in breeding, how they think changes can be wrought so fast.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post

The Shar Pei was a superb looking dog - minimal wrinkles and wide open eyes that hadn't needed tacking. That's how some breeders have been working away behind the scenes to address certain issues.

The Chow Chow as well - a pretty open faced dog with big bright eyes, instead of the little piggy ones previously favoured.

The Pug must have been bang up to order as well, as they have had a hell of a lot of flack lately, despite many pugs doing agility and even CaniX.

Those are the dogs that everyone wants to see win because they are capable, and worthy of going on to produce the next generation.

It doesn't take a lot of knowledge to see what the tiny changes are, but if everyone demands instant transformation in a species that needs at least 5 generations to alter [read: 10-15 years of work], then impatience will be the biggest threat of all.

If change is forced more quickly then a severe genetic bottleneck will occur - fine by those who want all breeds eliminated; but not really acceptable to those who want to do right by their breeds.

I sometimes wonder about people who have no interest in breeding, how they think changes can be wrought so fast.
This is an excellent point and one that concerns me when people who have no idea about showing and breeding start demanding immediate changes.

People are working very hard to make changes for the better, but these things will take time. COIs can be lowered, in the vast majority of breeds (when you consider the dog population in Europe if not Worldwide), without getting hysterical and trying to outcross to the point where we have no breeds left at all.

That said, change has to start somewhere and if a short, sharp, shock is what is needed, and demanded by the likes of JH, then this is one way to do it!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
Its a start but why only 15 breeds to get the health check? I think they should ALL be checked before getting into best in group etc.....

But I dont agree with judging a dog on looks anyway, who cares if a dog has the correct number of wrinkles or is exactly the right height down to the last cm....... Thats nothing if they are a gross inbred or ill. Puh.
Actually I do. My breed is an ancient breed which naturally has wrinkle, it would no longer be true to the breed without wrinkle, there wouldn't be any breeds left if they lost their type.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 06:35 AM

Agree with all this the Shar pei was excellent

On the Subject of the Vet checking isn't it now in force from crufts onwards for all CC shows, if so then the ones that were excluded shouldn't get to crufts next year
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
On the Subject of the Vet checking isn't it now in force from crufts onwards for all CC shows, if so then the ones that were excluded shouldn't get to crufts next year
That was my understanding too and things have to start somewhere. By introducing it at Crufts, I believe, sends a clear message to both judges and breeders. Let's hope that message hits home.

I fully agree with the posters who are pointing out that it takes generations to make small adjustments in breed standards possible without risking further harm.

It was lovely to see the less exaggerated Shar pei in the ring. Healthier and, in my opinion, much better looking too

To me, this is a good step forward and one with will force breeders' arms to start breeding more responsibly.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Have just seen posted elsewhere that the bulldog failed on the eye check. When the vet shone the light into her eyes it showed up an old eye injury, I think it unfair to exclude it from the group if that is true, none of the others had to pass that test. I feel very sorry for the owners.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2012, 07:34 AM
just like miss world, sideline these weird, outdated, and pointless canine beauty pageants to the margins, and no one would need worry about these issues in the first place
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 07:40 AM
I have just posted this on another site.... it sums up exactly what I feel.

As much as I agree with the KC's initiative, I think this has been a publicity stunt at the expense of the exhibitors who have worked to qualify for Crufts.

While I understand the KC is under pressure to be seen to be doing something, it would have been far more preferable to have put this vet checking into place at champ shows before qualification, instead of kneeing exhibitors in the groin once they get there.

I am all for changes, but not at the expense of exhibitors who have put their trust in other judges that led them to Crufts and found this thrust upon them at the very highest and most public level. If changes are to occur then it needs to be from the bottom up - and that means Open shows as well as Champ, because dogs can qualify for Crufts at Open level as well.

I don't know what the answer is - I don't show dogs, but have shown other animals over 30 years - and I can see where fairness lies.
Completely agree. I said to OH as we were watching the coverage last night that I thought there was every chance that this was a set up to prove that they are doing something.

I'm sure on the coverage when someone asked whether the reserve would go through the answer was along the lines of 'no because we need to teach the judges a lesson'. So as you say MM, they seem to be getting at the judges athe expense of the exhibitors.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for dogs having to be healthy, but the whole way they seem to have gone about these vet checks seems very wrong to me.

Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Have just seen posted elsewhere that the bulldog failed on the eye check. When the vet shone the light into her eyes it showed up an old eye injury, I think it unfair to exclude it from the group if that is true, none of the others had to pass that test. I feel very sorry for the owners.
Agree completely. Does anyone know whether the Vet reports are openly released?
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2012, 07:40 AM
it is a start.would have been an idea to tell the "judges" though.
how bad does that look? this will take ages to put right, but if the pressure is kept on, our poor little friends may stand a chance. well done JH!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
just like miss world, sideline these weird, outdated, and pointless canine beauty pageants to the margins, and no one would need worry about these issues in the first place
and, just like the Miss World competitions, once sidelined they would spring up again in another guise .

Now we have top name models, shows about top name models, shows picking out the next top model.

The wheel would eventually be reinvented if today's dogs shows were abandoned because people do like to show off their dogs.
Page 9 of 40 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »