register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which collar do you use?
Regular buckle collar 8 42.11%
Side release buckle collar 5 26.32%
Harness 4 21.05%
Head collar 0 0%
Choke or half-choke 0 0%
Other 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
blaz
New Member!
Male 

05-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Poll: Dog collar

I am buying new collar. Which one would you recommend and why?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Hello Blaz in the UK a dog is supposed to wear a collar displaying identification.

If we are talking about something on which to walk a dog I always use a fleece lined harness. I would not wish to be lead around by my neck and I think it must be unpleasant for dogs too..
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Hi Blaz ... welcome to Dogsey.

I live in Hungary where in rural areas very few dogs wear collars. Even in the towns and cities it's quite usual to see unleashed dogs walking with their owners.

My larger dog wears a buckled collar and my smaller one a side fastening collar. I remove their collars every evening when we go to bed. They used to wear harnesses but most trainers over here will only train using a collar.

Hope that helps.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Amber wears a plastic side release soft collar when she is out for walks but never has a collar on at other times. With regard to wearing identification a telephone number is all I would use never her name in case she was lured away when sitting waiting for me outside a shop, maybe I should get a lockable lead to fasten it to a secure post outside the local shop.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Normal buckle collars here. Preferably vinyl or leather, but nylon works too. NOT the plastic snap kind, they break. I only put ID on the dog that I allow off lead. He is also microchipped. It's not required from what I have seen, though. My Nigredo wobbles slightly in his harness, so walking with only his collar is better for him, he enjoys not being encumbered by his heavy duty harness. He's not being "lead around by his neck" as I don't even walk in front of him and there's no pulling at all.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2015, 08:39 PM
We have a collection of mesh side release collars, a few buckle ones too. In the house they don't wear anything, they aren't the kind of dogs who would try to run away or get lost. I think you get a more custom, comfortable fit when you can slide it to size.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2015, 07:55 AM
I use a harness with Rosie.

Pressure on the neck area is concentrated pressure whereas a harness spreads the pressure so damage to nerves/muscles etc is avoided.

It is a myth that loose lead walking cannot be trained as effectively using a harness. It takes the same amount of training, but certainly no more
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2015, 08:05 AM
I have seen too many dogs step out of harnesses and escape. Also if ill fitting they can chaff under the arm pits and make some dogs pull even more. A proper fitting collar I personally feel is best. My hairy dogs wear rolled collars, preferably soft leather. It just depends on what you prefer and how good your dog is at heelwork. If a dog isn't properly trained then nothing that you put on your dog imo works. Which is why I just prefer buckle collars. But as I say it is a personal thing.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
I am buying new collar. Which one would you recommend and why?

That poll is wrong. Why do people insist on saying "choke chain" when in fact they are called "CHECK CHAINS"
Which collar depends on the dog. on that list has left off Greyhound collars and Halti or leather check collars, and if the dog has neck problems then maybe a harness would be better.

Obviously the OP has not given enough details for anyone to vote on
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2015, 10:01 AM
We call them strangle collars, because when used... oftentimes the dogs will pull and pull until their eyes bulge, their tongue and gums turn blue, and until they heave for breath due to strangling themselves. I actually saw the device labeled as a Choke Chain on the packaging so not sure you're totally correct. I think martingale collars (half choke) are neigh just as bad, BTW.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >