Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meck8ken
New Member!
Female 

19-01-2012, 05:10 PM

11yr diabetic lab with fluid in abdomen

Hi i am just looking for advice really, my dog has been a well controlled diabetic on two insulin injections a day for over 6 months.
He is an 11 year old wonderful golden labrador. Sadly the past couple of days I felt his tummy looked swollen. My husband felt he was slower and sluggish.
We took him to the vet and he diagnosed fluid in the abdomen.
He prescribed 2 frusecare tablets twice a day and one lanoxin twice a day.
He says that basically Broxi's heart will now have too much pressure on it and the tablets may help ease the fluid but it could be liver damage that is causing it. He basically says that the complications are due to the diabetes and this is the start of the end.
We have to take him back to the vet on saturday. If these tablets show no sign of helping there is nothing we can do.
I dont want to have to put him to sleep, is this my only option? I obviously want the best for him and for no suffering its just because he has been so well, its come on so quick!
Many thanks for any help offered.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:21 PM
He might need other medication to help his heart deal with the fluid. Many dogs are also put on Vetmedin which opens up the blood vessels to allow the flow to increase.

Don't panic & allow the medication to kick in,he will need to pee more so bear this in mind for him
Meck8ken
New Member!
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Many thanks for your advice, he just started the medication this morning and is peeing frequently already! I am taking this as a good sign. I will take note of the medication too.
He is my first dog so never been through this before so I really appreciate the support, thank you
Meck8ken
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Today Broxi has peed quite a lot however he is still very swollen and I am not sure how much the pills are helping. He was keen to go out but very slow. He has slept most of today and moves often to get comfortable. He is hungry and is eating and drinking as normal!
I am just so distraught I can't believe the only option is to say goodbye.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I am so sorry for what you are going through and poor Broxi. I have no experience with what you are going through but I just wanted to send my support to you at this difficult time
Hopefully someone here will have had some experience of this and be able give you some advice.
Meck8ken
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Thank you so much, I am just praying for a miracle really and hope there is some help for him.
I really appreciate your support I just didn't know it could hurt so bad.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi Mandy, I really feel for you. It is awful when our four-legged family members get old and their bodies start to fail (like old people). Try and keep positive and maybe something can be done. Just make the most of the time you have with Broxi. I kept telling myself that when my last dog was about Broxi's age. She ended up going on until she was 15. Yes it is so hard and we all know that one day our hearts will be broken. Take care and extra hugs for Broxi
Meck8ken
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you very much for your kind words, it means a lot. I am cuddling in with my big boy and just praying x
Meck8ken
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Been back at vet today with Broxi. He feels there has been an improvement, thank God, so we will continue on with the meds. He still has fluid but it has reduced and the heart rate has evened out a bit. So although he is an old man with two serious conditions, heart and diabetic, he is a fighter so we will keep praying for him. He is in no pain so that's great, thanks again for your support.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Excellent news - what a fighter he is. Fantastic that he isn't in pain and any improvement is wonderful, so everything crossed that he carries on in the right direction.