register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which ID do you prefur?
Microchip 14 25.45%
ID Tag 2 3.64%
Ear Tattoo 2 3.64%
Database Registary 0 0%
Tattoo & Microchip 3 5.45%
As many as possible/affordable 12 21.82%
Tag & Microchip 21 38.18%
Tag & Tattoo 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Woody - Microchipped

Pickles - Microchipped and tagged.

Although not sure what good microchipping is, apparantly if some one takes your animal and it's scanned you can't have it back cos it's not a visible form of ID?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Woody - Microchipped

Pickles - Microchipped and tagged.

Although not sure what good microchipping is, apparantly if some one takes your animal and it's scanned you can't have it back cos it's not a visible form of ID?

Who said that? I never heard that one before.

Mo
geordieboxerlover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2005, 10:04 PM
both mine wear tags tho keira is microchipped as well
i was thinking of getting lubo chipped but as he is older i want to know wil it hurt him?
keira was dun wen she was only 12 weeks old
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 10:29 AM
For interest - Apparently around here, from a legal standpoint in terms of stray dogs, they say the dog has to be tagged and that it doesn't even matter if microchipped.

Fines up to £5000 are threatened.

They say in their blurb:
... 'Remember, your dog must still wear a tag even if it is micro-chipped. The Animal Control team have microchip scanners but it is not always effective as the very small chip can move around the body. ... “As well as ensuring that you adhere to The Control of Dogs Order legislation, a collar and tag will help us to return your dog to you more quickly if it strays. The council’s advice to all dog owners is clear, whether micro chipped or not, get a tag today or get collared!.”
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Chipped and tagged for my 2
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Microchipped and tagged for my two and microchipped for the cats - they don't wear collars.

But they also have a very very vigilant owner and neighbourhood
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I looked into the relative merits of tattooing and microchipping and initially preferred the idea of tattooing, as it is less invasive. However, two things happened to change my mind. Firstly, I trained to be a microchip inplanter. The course convinced me that a chip cannot get "lost", if it is correctly implanted between the shoulderblades, that is where it will stay. After three weeks it knits into the surrounding tissue and cannot move. I went home after the course and "chipped" all five dogs and four cats without any problems (or help). Since then, my litters have been chipped at 8 weeks and none of them seemed to even notice!
The issue about tattooing is one that I came across personally during the rescue of a Dalmatian. This bitch had been on a puppy farm, come to the end of her breeding days and had been thrown out on the hillside to fend for herself. When she was picked up, one of her ears had been sliced off. I was told that she had been tattooed and it was common practice to do this so she couldn't be traced back to the person who had thrown her out. I believe it is a problem with Greyhounds in particular.
Over here in Ireland, all IKC (Irish Kennel Club) registered puppies and new registrations of older dogs must now be microchipped unless they have been brought over from the UK. We still have dog licenses too, and it is mandatory for the dog to wear a tag as well.
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:07 AM
spotsmad is right but that wont come into effect until Jan 06 and the dogs lead must not be more than 2 meters long and all dogs like Staffies, Rotties, Bandogs and any other dog's listed on the dangerous dog act are meant to wear a muzzle and be kept on a lead in public area's, and its against the law to leave your dog out on its own but a majority of dogs over here are left roam the streets and are in poor condition due to the fact that they are used for hunting or are just neglected, and i have yet to see a staffie with a muzzle on it and the Garda (police) dont enforce it unless a complaint is made.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy
microchipped n tagged microchipping is pretty reliable,, tatoo may be good too but they hurt us so wouldnt put my dogs through it
I had my dogs tattooed when they were under GA for spaying/castration so no problems with discomfort

Tattoos do not have to be in the ear, although that is the most usual site. They can be done on the inside of the thigh.
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Rocco is chipped and wears a tag. We're quite lucky here that there are good controls on dogs which also means that there is a lot of information collected about them.

All dogs have to be licensed and the dog wardens record the microchip number, plus the license number, which the dog has to wear at all times, and all of the owners details, then they share the database with all of the vets offices and animal shelters, so if the worst should happen, people seem to get their dogs back pretty quickly.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >