Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:22 PM

Cataract Surgery

My 89 year old mum had cataracts removed from one of her eyes on Friday. She is quite despondent as there hasnt been a dramatic change in her sight. I have attempted to explain the Nurse said it could take between a few days to a few weeks before she noticed anything. She is also upset she cant wear her makeup or wash her hair for a week

Has anyone had cataract surgery & know how long it is before you can see visible changes for the better?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Mum had both eyes done in her late 70s she claimed she could see fine but once the surgery was done her vision improved at least 60%.
She had it done in the morning stopped with me for 24 hrs and was back to normal the next morning.
Good luck hun x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 06:03 AM
My mom is 90 years young, she has had both done, it took the left one at least a week longer than the right one to clear, funny now to see her without glasses WOW
But she is every bit 'happy' now that they were done
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2011, 07:47 AM
My mum had her first eye done about 10 days ago. It is getting a bit better all the time but apparently she can't get her new glasses until 6 weeks after the other eye is done, as it can take that long for the eye to adjust. (She's 75)
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks folks, its been particulary hard on her as her mobility isnt too good &she is a crossword fanatic - not beung able to read is do crosswords have been very upsetting. Fingers crossed the eye is lot better soiner rather than later
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 09:01 AM
My Mom is 80 and had her one eye done and she said it was better the next morning her other eye it took longer she now only wears glasses for reading not everyday a complete change for the better.