Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
2. There is a distinction between a cruel man and an everyday decent chap whom perfoms what we regard as a cruel act.

Now - that only is true if the individual doesn`t understand the pain he causes or doesn`t care. It`s fairly obvious that AP doesn`t care and profits from what he does. In my book, causing pain for profit makes you a cruel man (or wioman).

3. If we find something morally repugnant, it is much easier for us to ratonalise it by saying their 'must be something wrong with the man'.
Actually, no. I honestly believe that people who can torture without any qualms must have something very wrong with them.

As for banning and censorship for expressing unpopular views, yet having followed all the inter personal manners and politeness as required by dogsey rules, i disagree.
Who has said he should be banned? Did I miss that?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Perhaps AP would like to clear this up himself? AP, have you, do you, will you sell e-collars?
good question

although would you distinguish between a trainer that just sells the bit of equipment he teaches the client with - lots of trainers do that - or a man that works for the company that manufacters them?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Who has said he should be banned? Did I miss that?
maxine. hence my post to her you just quoted.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
There is a distinction between a cruel man and an everyday decent chap whom perfoms what we regard as a cruel act.

Now - that only is true if the individual doesn`t understand the pain he causes or doesn`t care. It`s fairly obvious that AP doesn`t care and profits from what he does. In my book, causing pain for profit makes you a cruel man (or wioman).

Adam would argue the pain isnt so or minimal. Which would, under the discussion of the question of ethics, would equate him with a slaughterhouseman, for example. Psychologically and philosophically, it is not a rational standpoint to state every person that does an act that some may find cruel is therefore a cruel person. You cannot paint people that black and white and discount the whole person and the rest of his life and behaviour.
Otherwise, on that basis, you would have to argue that all slaughtermen and farmers and soldiers are cruel

3. If we find something morally repugnant, it is much easier for us to ratonalise it by saying their 'must be something wrong with the man'.
Actually, no. I honestly believe that people who can torture without any qualms must have something very wrong with them.
As above, if you apply that standpoint consistently, you would then have to say the same about soldiers, farmers, etc, etc, etc.
You are still falling into the trap of making it easier upon yourself to get your head around a man like Adam, a man that many see as actually quite reasonable and polite in his dealings with other people on here, but at the same time commits the cruel act of giving dogs an electric shock.
It is
easier to say people of such seeming contradictions must have something wrong with them/be evil/are monsters/nutcases/etc/etc.

Its make it more comfortable to think that way instead of actually accepting he is a nice man in every other way.
That way you can segregate him from the same species as yourself, and therefore deny to yourself you have that same that smae potential contradiction within yourself and therefore same capacity to comit a cruel whilst being an otherwise virtuous or decent person.
Religious people are a good example of inhabiting both these facets.
It seems to make much more sense to imagine e collar trainers would have the personality of Lou Castle or Denis. So it must be quite frustrating when one of them doesnt fit into that easy mould.

Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I find the e collar the best method to sort it out, and I mean sort it in a reasonable timescale and properly sorted.
Adam
The higlighted bit says it all, you work to your 'clients' timescale, not the dogs, a dog trainer needs to educate owners to how long it can be until a dog's behaviour is curbed or taught new things, not the quick fix they want.
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
How strange Adam, that video along with the weired tramp who posted it was banned from You Tube, I wonder if they are aware he has re joined and posted again . Are you his spokes person now , he has been banned across the internet , your association with him does nothing for your credibility.

I notice yet again you have been selective in replying to posts asking you questions ,that's your privilege of course but it speaks volumes to me !
Said it before and will say it again, AP would be a brilliant politician

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Just caught up with this thread again. Well done Wys, Brierley & Minihaha for pointing out the truth of the references cited by Adam. And I agree ~ it seems highly unlikely that Adam came up with that response on his own!!

But even if he did, how flawed & outdated were those references!!! And how could anyone believe the views of someone being paid as a consultant for an e-collar manufacturer

Adam ~ there's a wealth of far more up to date, properly conducted scientific studies on the use of aversive methods to deal with dog behaviour & training issues ~ and they all conclude that the use of e-collars & other aversive methods are cruel, painful & compromise the animal's welfare. Some of the most respected dog behaviour organisations in the world have issued statements condemning the use of e-collars, & these include veterinary behaviourists, not just people employed by e-collar manufacturers! I am at a complete loss as to why you seem so intent on promoting their use ~ despite this evidence & despite the fact that you get so roundly condemned & put down on this forum.

Up to now I have given you the benefit of doubt in that your posts are polite & you haven't reacted to the vitriol. I thought that maybe logic, science & pointing out to you the harm you are doing to dogs, may have caused you to stop & reconsider what you are doing; that maybe, if you had an ounce of compassion for the dogs you claim to help, you would have looked into all the evidence we've given you on the pain & harm that e-collars & other aversives cause. I would have huge respect for you if had been able to do that & made a complete volte face & decided to study & use positive reinforcement as your primary tool.

But you haven't ~ you've continued to quote flawed references, you've demonstrated a complete misunderstanding of learning theory, you've only answered selected questions, and to crown it all, you've now shown that you don't understand dog behaviour at all by those video clips of your poor dogs.

Like Krusewalker, I've tried to speak against your methods, rather than you personally. But I've now given up ~ you are dangerous & cruel to dogs & you are clearly unwilling to even consider that you may be wrong ~ how arrogant is that!!!

I think it was Emma that has asked on several occasions, that if e-collars don't hurt, & the use of punishment based techniques are ok, why don't we zap kids with e-collars? Because it DOES hurt & because it's illegal. The following article refers to a father who's now in custody for "criminal mistreatment" of his children because he used an e-collar on them

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/pe...t_ok_for_dogs/
Brilliant post, and thank you for the article but it did ruin my plans for conducting my own experiment
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
There's alot of chat about scientific evidence to suggest e collars are bad.
However my experience has been the opposite.

http://co104w.col104.mail.live.com/d...?wa=wsignin1.0

By Stephen lyndsay a respected behaviourist in the states, who is also I believe coming to the uk this weekend for a seminar, I believe he was invited by proffessor Mills who is conducted a study into e collars for defra. I believe Mills invited him because he has found nothing wrong with e collars so far.

This page

http://smartdogs.wordpress.com/2010/...-cite-no-evil/

Also discusses the scientific studies in depth and discusses a very interesting study in the early 1980s.

I've copied it over in case anyone (like me) has trouble following links on this forum

Given the widespread references /cites to studies that support the idea that e-collars are not only cruel and abusive, but that they can also elicit aggressive behavior — imagine my surprise when I came across an article providing strong evidence that e-collars were astonishingly effective in rehabilitating aggression in dogs.

Daniel F. Tortora’s study, titled “Safety Training: The Elimination of Avoidance-Motivated Aggression in Dogs,” was published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: General in 1983.
There are always going to be studies for and against Adam
1983 - very old study!!
and brilliantly written by a pro e-collar website
I would have thought after you studied Animal behaviour that you would have been able to find others, but since you have obviously done your research I will end it here not
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

Adam would argue the pain isnt so or minimal. Which would, under the discussion of the question of ethics, would equate him with a slaughterhouseman, for example. Psychologically and philosophically, it is not a rational standpoint to state every person that does an act that some may find cruel is therefore a cruel person. You cannot paint people that black and white and discount the whole person and the rest of his life and behaviour.
Otherwise, on that basis, you would have to argue that all slaughtermen and farmers and soldiers are cruel

I disagree with your argument , that would imply a slaughter man and such could be deemed in the same light as someone who uses an e.collar.

The slaughter man/soldier /farmer, may inflict what some may see as cruelty to another living thing.....once with the end result of death.

the e.collar user will use pain, over and over and over again to get a result that could be achieved another way.

You cant eat meat unless you kill the cow, the soldier has to kill his enemy or be killed.

The e,collar user will use a tool that inflicts pain, for his own end, mainly because they are incapable of using other methods.

You can only die once , a dog can be zapped a thousand times, inflicting the same trauma over and over again.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I disagree with your argument , that would imply a slaughter man and such could be deemed in the same light as someone who uses an e.collar.
agreed. There is no other way to get meat than to kill the animal. There are other ways to train than to inflict pain.
KW- Would you defend torture using the same argument?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 09:23 AM
On the point Minihaha made about the ethics of using e-collars to see if they cause pain & whether we can measure that pain ~ well, no we can't obviously, as everyone reacts differently to pain, & the same person may react differently under different circumstances.

BUT we can measure stress through circulating cortisol levels in blood, saliva & urine. That's how they've conducted research on the stress caused to animals going to slaughter or intensively farmed animals. Of course behaviours give a big clue but won't necessarily be accurate & are open to misinterpretation. But scientific analysis of cortisol levels is a pretty sure fire way of measuring chronic stress.

I'd be prepared to bet a lot of money that dogs subjected to electric shock collars will show the physiological signs of stress, even if they manage to suppress the behavioural signs of pain, fear & stress. But of course this would still involve subjecting these poor dogs to yet more cruel treatment just to prove something that common sense tells us is so.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

The slaughter man/soldier /farmer, may inflict what some may see as cruelty to another living thing.....once with the end result of death.

the e.collar user will use pain, over and over and over again to get a result that could be achieved another way.

You cant eat meat unless you kill the cow, the soldier has to kill his enemy or be killed.

The e,collar user will use a tool that inflicts pain, for his own end, mainly because they are incapable of using other methods.

You can only die once , a dog can be zapped a thousand times, inflicting the same trauma over and over again.
thanks for the reply

thats not quite the point im making.
ie, im not focussing on the job descriptions as such, but the topic of ethics and perceptions and what it says about the 'accuser' as well as the 'accused'. I was just looking for analogies from that POV, maybe they werent good analogies?
The better analogy may be the good wholesome virtuos religious person whom supports, maybe, saying gays will be condemned to hell, or the nice guy businessman who has shares in huntingdon life sciences.
the famer referance was actually about a kind man family whom took me in from the streets and fed me for several days yet kept collies in coffin shaped boxes for 24 hours at a time as he only worked 6 out of 12 collies at a time.
could you call them cruel men or good average men that take part in a cruel acts?

but no worries, i got a lot on at the minute, so i will leave it for the time being.

thank you anyway.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
agreed. There is no other way to get meat than to kill the animal.

there is, dont eat meat...you see, their is a context for the ethical argument, so you cannot separate the ethics from the context anymore than you can seperate the rest of the man from the act when you describe him.

There are other ways to train than to inflict pain.

i agree, that isnt what im discussing

KW- Would you defend torture using the same argument?
yes, you could.
you could say jack bauer on 24 is a hero of the nation and a good man whom stood up for the right side yet tortured individuals to get the info to save innocent lives.
therefore, a good man that commits a cruel act, not a cruel man that commits a cruel act.
(doesnt matter its a TV show, its the analogy that counts)
hence adam and what maxine calls his strange contradiction.

hopefully i have explained myself ok, but gotta leave it now. urgent stuff in the real world getting neglected.

thank you
Closed Thread
Page 22 of 98 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 72 > Last »