Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2005, 12:57 PM

suncream?

hello all

i am going to a bbq all day tomorrow and am taking Otis with me. As you know Otis is a white staff and was just wondering do i need to be some kind of sun cream/block on him as we will be in the garden for a long time?

I know it sounds silly, but i think i should, but can i use human lotion or do i need to get a special doggy one?

thanks
jodie x
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

27-05-2005, 01:08 PM
you can buy a special doggy sun lotion - but I can't remember where from - I think they say you should put sun lotion on white dogs now I have to with my dogs on their noses if I don't they get sunburn. Because it is a small amount I use human stuff and they don't have a bad reaction to it - but maybe you should use the doggy stuff just in case
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I use human sun cream on mollie, the highest factor I can get,,
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2005, 01:26 PM
I got a childrens factor 30 and a 50 for Finn. I have been using the 30 but now its getting further into the summer I will be using the factor 50
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2005, 01:35 PM
thank you. sounds silly but i have never had a dog before and i don't want him burning!! do i just rub it in all over him as i would on me? so using human sunblock no one's dogs have had a reaction to it?
Carole
Supervisor

27-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I use a spray and spray it on Finns ears and face and any other part of him with less hair. Its our first summer so I am not 100% if this is enough.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Otis i imagine human suncream is fine and you apply it like you would on yourself, i once watched a vet program that had a cat on and because it was white had caught the sun and had a huge tumour on it face it was removed and the owners were told to use human suncream, have a great time at the bbq!
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks All!!

will go and buy some factor 50 or block straight after work!!!

Might even buy a coloured one and paint otis purple or something...... only joking, but that would make a great picture!!!!

Will try and take some pictures of otis eating a sausage or something xx
Carole
Supervisor

27-05-2005, 02:04 PM
if you get a coloured one let me know if the colour fades like it does on humans The one I have got is just white but at least with the colour spray you know where you have put the suncream.
Meg
Supervisor

27-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Otis I think you need to pay particular attention to the ears..they burn easily being thin and if they are like cats ears may be more prone to skin cancer, though most dogs will get out of the direct sun if it is very hot.
'Non-pigmented' animals such as white cats and certain dog breeds like bulldogs, white boxers and great danes are most susceptible. They can get sunburn and are more prone to skin cancer on their ear tips and noses. In fact, white cats are 13 times more likely than darker cats to develop skin cancer.

Dr. Linda Messinger, board certified veterinary dermatologist, recommends using sunscreen on your dog or cat - sunscreen made especially for babies or adults with sensitive skin work well. Those containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide block both UVA and UVB rays.
Taken from a veterinary site in the USA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >