Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I'm totally not against pedigrees or breeders - I mean, without KC support, breeders can't outcross and register their dogs with them, and therefore, can't show them. The KC thinks it's 'preserving' breeds, but in fact, it's letting them deteriorate before its eyes. More and more inherited conditions are becoming apparent, due to a lack of diversity, and this trend will continue until all our breeds are riddled with inherited conditions. The KC needs to get its act together before it's too late.
Smashing post MSE2P! As a breeder, I fully support your ideas.

Mary
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Smashing post MSE2P! As a breeder, I fully support your ideas.

Mary
Thanks Mary. I just wondered, do you have any information on establishing and maintaining 'type' without inbreeding? I can't seem to find anything good to read!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Mary. I just wondered, do you have any information on establishing and maintaining 'type' without inbreeding? I can't seem to find anything good to read!
Have you seen John Armstrong's stuff on canine genetics homepage?...one of the articles in there talks about assortive mating. So simple: 2 unrelated dogs that are nicely matched = typey progeny (not as uniform as linebred progeny but typey none the less).

Mary
spot
Dogsey Veteran

01-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
why would having 7 pedigree dogs turn her against breeders? surely she must see so many more x breeds going through rescue?

But at least we agree that PW is Against breeders
Trust me I have only 2 pedigrees and I am certainly turned against the breeders at least of my chosen breed! Why shouldnt I be? Please enlighten me Shona why should I not be against the breeders of these dogs when so many are in rescue?

Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
But maybe because she has 7 pedigrees from rescue is what turns her against breeders of pedigrees?

Hi Spot

Somehow I am not convinced of this sorry, but you are entitled of course to your opinion.
Eunice see above I could have 7 of my breed (in fact there are many a time I wish I did) but seeing so many in rescue certainly does turn you against the breeders of these dogs, how many in rescue does there have to be to make you think the breeders are in the wrong?

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
MMMMMMM, or maybe it is simply double standards!!!!!
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Spot can I make it clear at this moment in time I am not for one minute having a go at you, as an owner of 5 pedigrees, and also work at a large rescue center I see both sides of the argument, what I find really frustrating is the attitude of a member that is obviously so against pedigree breeders yet owns pedigrees, I am sure on the occassions that those pedigrees being adopted there were also x breeds available that would have been just as suitable to live with that person and their life style, yet they chose the pedigrees, if it was not for the breeders(granted probably bad breeders to allow their dogs to end up in rescue) that person would not have the dogs she is so proud of, I take it as a personal insult when breeders are all tarred with the same brush, I know the difference between bad and good breeders and like to think of myself in the latter catagory. working in the rescue I see the results of bad breeding practices both by pedigree breeders and x breed breeders, and have to say the number of x breeds totally outweigh the pedigrees,

Mo
Mo you asked me earlier why my dogs were in rescue when their breeders were known, I answered but you chose to ignore it, I would like to hear you opinion on that! But aside from that I like PW am against pedigree breeders in my breed but still I choose to rescue them, am I supporting those bad breeders? What would happen to all thsoe dogs in rescue if everyone believed that?

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I totally agree, for what ever reasons Spot, you seem to have taken this personal, when it is not directed your way at all.

many people will rescue a pedigree, but then dont go round slating all pedigrees and breeders.

There are many many good breeders out there, and sadly in some cases they dont know their dogs have ended up in rescue.
Jackbox I will still take on pedigrees of my breed and still slate the breeders of these dogs, the breeders of these dogs know where they are, they most likely put them there so please do not preach to me about breeder standards, but of course its different in my case.

Why is it any different if someone takes on 7 pedigree dogs (actually if they are in rescue how do we know they are pedigree anyway? wll apart from my breed) to someone taking on xbreeds. The only difference I see is that with some pedigree dogs we know where they come frrom
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Trust me I have only 2 pedigrees and I am certainly turned against the breeders at least of my chosen breed! Why shouldnt I be? Please enlighten me Shona why should I not be against the breeders of these dogs when so many are in rescue?
If you want to be against the breeders of your rescue dogs.. great.. go get em.. but I dont see why we should all be tarred with that brush... NONE of my pups are in rescue... so why are you and PW so against me??
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Have you seen John Armstrong's stuff on canine genetics homepage?...one of the articles in there talks about assortive mating. So simple: 2 unrelated dogs that are nicely matched = typey progeny (not as uniform as linebred progeny but typey none the less).

Mary
Will take a look - ta!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:12 PM
One thing I have learned from having pedigree and crossbreeds from rescue - all with issues of some kind including hereditary health issues - avoidable one`s at that - is to detest bad breeders but to support ethical breeders because the ethical breeders are not the problem, they are the one`s doing everything to produce healthy cherished dogs.
It`s the crappy breeders who are the problem.
I don`t breed, never have, never will, and I will never get to buy a pup from a good breeder because for me personally it`s rescue dogs with problems which I have the most to try to offer a home to, yet I have more knowledge in my little fingernail than some of the ruthless swines who are churning out sickly or long terms health affected dogs, some breeders can`t even spell the name of the breed/s they churn out for heaven sake
But the good ethical breeders are a far superior species as far as I`m concerned, if everyone only went to them instead of the dross the health and homing situation for dogs would be way better.
As for the designer crossbreed dog brigade, these days they have waaaaay more to answer for on all counts than pedigree breeders on the whole imo.

As usual - and I am no fan of the KC make no mistake - the KC are being blamed for breed standards but it`s breed councils who do that, not the KC.

What the KC is doing wrong imo which is a huge failing on their part is that they are not de-recognising the few breeds which are in health crisis until the relevant breed councils get their act together and stop breeding deformed dogs with the health issues that result from that, and for not joining the modern world in only registering dogs which have been from fully clear health tested parents, had DNA submitted etc.

And they need to damned well refuse to register any litters from merle to merle matings while they are at it !

[sorry to sound ranty, I have a cold and I`m always snippy when I`m in poorly woe mode lol ]
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
And they need to damned well refuse to register any litters from merle to merle matings while they are at it !
sorry for being thick.. but what happens with merle to merle matings?

my knowlage is very limited to breeding rotties..
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovezois
But maybe because she has 7 pedigrees from rescue is what turns her against breeders of pedigrees?

Hi Spot

Somehow I am not convinced of this sorry, but you are entitled of course to your opinion.

Eunice see above I could have 7 of my breed (in fact there are many a time I wish I did) but seeing so many in rescue certainly does turn you against the breeders of these dogs, how many in rescue does there have to be to make you think the breeders are in the wrong?

As I said previously you are entitled to you opinion and I have already said was referring to PW and not you.

You work in rescue and that is great and I r can see where you are coming from and respect your views .You can have as many as you like of your breed, that is your perogative, but working in rescue you see it from a different perpsective than I do . I have always researched any breed a I was interested inand I make sure I choose an ethical breeder who I know will support me and my dogs and if necessary have them back , so since we see it from different ends of the spectrum we shall just have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one Spot and I hope like I respect your views you will respect mine.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Will take a look - ta!
There are also whole kennels who only out-cross and have produced many champions...in dallys (Aus), standard poodles (US) etc. We need to offer such examples up as evidence of success that line breeding is not necessary, and without giving those without correct info excuses to trot out that the only alternative to linebreeding is outbreeding to another breed, it is simply NOT TRUE for most breeds if we act soon. If we don't...
Mary
Page 55 of 65 « First < 5 45 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 > Last »