Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aussielover85
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Aussie training and questions

My husband and I got an 8 week old Aussie. We live in northern Michigan, where the weather is freezing currently but changing all the time.

I have had Aussies most of my life, as my parents owned them. I know they are smart working dogs, and told my husband they can be a lot of work. However we decided to get one after reviewing all of our options, since we also own 5 domesticated house rabbits.

He is SMART. He is already pretty much house trained, and has only had three accidents (my husband takes responsibility because he gets too overwhelmed in the morning and tried bungling many chores and forgets the puppy needs out NOW). The pup has no name yet, as we are waiting on my step son to help name him. I've been calling him things I know I will always call him ("come here, Sir," "oh hi Pupper.") but hopefully will have a name shortly.

Anyhow, it is currently 10 degrees outside. I am a stay at home pet mom, and spend all day with him. I take him outside between 10-15 times in a 9 hour period. We hung bells on the door so he could ring them when he needs to go out. He picked up on this fast (like, one day!) and it's awesome. However, he wants to be outside ALL THE TIME now. This isn't possible. We currently use a leash and are training him to walk nicely on it, but sometimes he just wants to lay down in the snow, not actually be active. My idea of fun is not standing for 20 minutes outside in below freezing weather so my dog can lay in snow!

I've never had a dog tethered, ever. All of our dogs were free range and had the run of the family neighborhood (think 30 acres of freedom). I'm wondering if it is possible to tether a dog for short periods of time (20-30 minutes) so that he can use the bathroom, and sniff around in the snow so that I do not have to constantly take him out. My husband is completely against it and says it is bad for dogs, that he can strangle himself or get off the chain (wire rope). I don't think he realizes that I am not getting anything done at home currently because this puppy is constantly nipping my heels, biting my pant legs and feet, and ringing the bells to gon outside. I would like to be able to wash dishes or put a load of laundry in without the dog ringing the bells to go outside. Is using a short term tether bad for him?

Just for information: I play with him for up to two hours a day. I am the one teaching him not to pull clothing, not to nip, not to chew household furniture, and appropriate ways to play. I know how much work there is in training an Aussie, but I am also used to being able to let a dog outside without my constant supervision. We are very active in the warmer weather (hiking, camping, swimming, kayaking) but the winter is a bit stagnant.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2017, 03:58 PM
He's a puppy and it's your job to train him. Yes sometimes it's inconvenient or a PITA but it doesn't last forever. I was stood outside at 4.30 am in the pouring rain last week because my dog needed to poo and as I'm teaching him that's the right place to go I didn't think twice about it.
So clearly your dog doesn't need to relieve himself every 5 minutes, as long as you know he has definitely relieved himself it's ok to distract him from the bells by getting his attention on something else. No it's not ok to tether your pup, go out with him or at the very least watch him through the door. Do you not have a fence?
aussielover85
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
He's a puppy and it's your job to train him. Yes sometimes it's inconvenient or a PITA but it doesn't last forever. I was stood outside at 4.30 am in the pouring rain last week because my dog needed to poo and as I'm teaching him that's the right place to go I didn't think twice about it.
So clearly your dog doesn't need to relieve himself every 5 minutes, as long as you know he has definitely relieved himself it's ok to distract him from the bells by getting his attention on something else. No it's not ok to tether your pup, go out with him or at the very least watch him through the door. Do you not have a fence?
Wow, a bit harsh much??

No we don't have a fence yet. It is the middle of winter here. We will not be able to put a fence in until summer. Also, as I said in my post, I am training him and there was no reason for a catty comment about it being my job.

My question was answered by a professional anyway that said tethering your dog for short periods of time is perfectly healthy if you are watching him.

Congrats on watching your dog in the rain. I stood outside for 30 minutes at 3am last night and it was below zero. He didn't use the bathroom and laid by the porch for ten of those minutes and then proceeded to jump around in the snow until I picked him up and brought him back in. Your comment implies that I am being lazy and that I don't want to take my dog out to use the restroom. Which isn't what I said at all.

Per your comment, it isn't okay to tether your dog - but I just read many articles about kennel training. What is the difference between tethering your dog safely within your eye sight for a short period of time and locking your dog in a kennel for hours at a time while you're at work? Many people actually are not home to watch their dogs all the time, even as puppies. What do you suppose they do?

Being as I am familiar with owning dogs but am used to them being free range, I was hoping for some advice, not a run down of how great of an owner you are.
2JZ
New Member!
Male 

02-02-2017, 04:41 PM
I have an australian shepherd/husky mix and pitbull mix. We had them on a 30ft lead for several months before we got a fence. They were perfectly fine, I did watch them while they were outside or only left for a few minutes. You do a great job with the puppy. Tethering seems like a perfect thing for when he just wants to lay out!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by aussielover85 View Post
Wow, a bit harsh much??

No we don't have a fence yet. It is the middle of winter here. We will not be able to put a fence in until summer. Also, as I said in my post, I am training him and there was no reason for a catty comment about it being my job.

My question was answered by a professional anyway that said tethering your dog for short periods of time is perfectly healthy if you are watching him.

Congrats on watching your dog in the rain. I stood outside for 30 minutes at 3am last night and it was below zero. He didn't use the bathroom and laid by the porch for ten of those minutes and then proceeded to jump around in the snow until I picked him up and brought him back in. Your comment implies that I am being lazy and that I don't want to take my dog out to use the restroom. Which isn't what I said at all.

Per your comment, it isn't okay to tether your dog - but I just read many articles about kennel training. What is the difference between tethering your dog safely within your eye sight for a short period of time and locking your dog in a kennel for hours at a time while you're at work? Many people actually are not home to watch their dogs all the time, even as puppies. What do you suppose they do?

Being as I am familiar with owning dogs but am used to them being free range, I was hoping for some advice, not a run down of how great of an owner you are.
This forum is uk based we don't tend to advocate tethering or free roaming. Nothing I said was catty and it is an owners job to train their pup for however long it takes. I know how I treated my dogs when I worked full time but I can't answer for others. I've certainly never locked them up in kennels. Nor did I ever say what a great owner I am but whatever, you get the answers you get, you don't get to choose, you can of course ignore anything you don't like.
aussielover85
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by 2JZ View Post
I have an australian shepherd/husky mix and pitbull mix. We had them on a 30ft lead for several months before we got a fence. They were perfectly fine, I did watch them while they were outside or only left for a few minutes. You do a great job with the puppy. Tethering seems like a perfect thing for when he just wants to lay out!

Thank you very much. We are looking at a 20 ft lead that would be in front of our bay window where we can see him and he is covered by our upper deck, but my husband is iffy and I wanted to know if others have done okay with it. He was born on a farm and his mom and dad weren't tethered, and he is used to being outside all the time. Adjusting to a warm, wood stove heated home is probably weird as he is used to hay and the snow around him. It only makes sense that he wants to play in the snow.
aussielover85
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2017, 05:13 PM
I have never used a tether or a kennel either, but I am not above attempting them as a means to keep my dog safe in an area I am not familiar with. I also have indoor rabbits which usual are free roam in my home but currently penned up inside until they and the puppy are accustomed to each other, which will require a kennel to expose him in small increments.

Just because you haven't done it, doesn't mean others haven't.

Your choice of words suggested that I was just calling my puppy a "PITA" and that I didn't want to take him outside. In reality, I want him to be able to be outside longer if he WANTS TO BE, and safely.

In my eyes, that's a responsible pet owner.
2JZ
New Member!
Male 

02-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Thank you very much. We are looking at a 20 ft lead that would be in front of our bay window where we can see him and he is covered by our upper deck, but my husband is iffy and I wanted to know if others have done okay with it. He was born on a farm and his mom and dad weren't tethered, and he is used to being outside all the time. Adjusting to a warm, wood stove heated home is probably weird as he is used to hay and the snow around him. It only makes sense that he wants to play in the snow.
haha yes! My aussie mix is always hot, in the summer time when he hears the AC kick on, he goes right over to a vent and lays on it! At night he moves constantly from his kennel, to his cooling mat, and on the bed. I know he would love the snow, we haven't had much snow in IL this winter.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2017, 05:59 PM
I have never used a tether or a kennel either, but I am not above attempting them as a means to keep my dog safe in an area I am not familiar with. I also have indoor rabbits which usual are free roam in my home but currently penned up inside until they and the puppy are accustomed to each other, which will require a kennel to expose him in small increments.

Just because you haven't done it, doesn't mean others haven't.

Your choice of words suggested that I was just calling my puppy a "PITA" and that I didn't want to take him outside. In reality, I want him to be able to be outside longer if he WANTS TO BE, and safely.

In my eyes, that's a responsible pet owner.
You interpreted what I said in the wrong way then because it is a PITA to stand outside in the pouring rain at 4.30 am that does not refer to your pup or mine it refers to the situation.
There are lots of things people do with their dogs that I don't it doesn't mean they are right just because they do them.
Not at all sure how you can be unfamiliar with your own garden but I don't need to know, I do know I would never resort to tethering my dogs.
We clearly differ on what a responsible owner is but I have no problem with that. I'm responsible for mine and mine alone.
cos
New Member!
Female 

04-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Hello! I have an aussie myself so I am aware of how incredibly frustrating and excitable they can be at times.

I would not suggest a tether or free roaming. So many things can go wrong when your dog is loose, and a tether can damage their necks if they pull and it's not a very good way to exercise a hyperactive puppy. You've chosen an extremely hyper and intelligent breed that wants to go go go all the time, especially as a puppy! It sounds to me like he's just being a normal bouncy puppy. How much daily exercise are you giving him currently?

I would suggest structuring his play time and potty breaks, and keeping him on a schedule. That way you can set aside specific time to take him out, and time to do things you need to do. I disagree with some of the things said in this thread, as I believe it's very important for a dog to learn how to settle and play quietly.

You mentioned it being 10 degrees. This is far too cold to walk a young puppy, I wouldn't even be walking my adult dog in this weather. Adult dogs can generally stand about 30 minutes in 20 degree weather but I wouldn't walk them in anything colder. The snow alone can cause horrendous pad issues and frostbite. For the days that are below 20, is your home large enough (say, your livingroom) to have structured indoor play with a lot of tugging, pulling, running around, and engaging with you?

Aussies also need a lot of mental stimulation. Definitely would suggest working on obedience with him, as he will catch on fast and it's very rewarding to be able to show your friends that you aussie can roll over and sit pretty (mine can turn the lights on and off, they're awesome dogs!)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >